P2P Client
    An eMule & VEM
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2150
    only for the fool hardy

Spoiler adding venetian blinds:
    Im just a big whimp, all you guys above are more heroic than me. When we talk about ettiquette we always have to touch morals to some extent. I dont wana post a formal reply to the first post cos I'll just feel bad aftwards cos I know I will have to justify cheating. And I dont wanna justify being a dick.

The other attitude to take it is: "Leech it! Suc them dry!" Carefree but cold and unconcerned. result is an even bigger dick, somewhat like a dick with a massive hardon.

Even if I try to justify it in a clinical way to say its a technical hurdle (cheat in a normally uncheatable situation) I must overcome in order to learn. It'll be like justifying Japanese scientific whaling, although I must say, not to the same severity (but to the same degree of contrast.)

So if I wanna continue to cheat I “must” say its for fun lol? Im confusing myself lol

On the other hand to be logical about it it it impossible that my bandwidth is always maxed out by the dl. But instead of monitoring this occurance cos it'll be a big hassel to do, meaning if I do monitor it I would be trying to optimize the bandwith flow and the time and stress put in wuld be too much to handle. So... I'll just set out some time when I go out to gie back to the community.

Ahh I feel somewhat a bit better lol
    Last edited by saebrtooth; 27.12.09 at 03:08.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    vuze
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss102
    My thoughts are this, if i would've realized how great a tracker what.cd is and was at the time I never would have cheated and I'd give anything to have my account back, but the only way to get back in is to get an invite or pass the interview but I'm afraid of getting banned a 5th time, I don't even care about m y other private accounts. I don't care if they get deleted, I just want what back. :(
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Dragon Fist
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss133
    Why do I cheat? why do I cheat?
    Well let me first tell you how I started cheating, and afterwards getting back to why and the morality of it all.
    Spoiler Long and boring:
    So I first started some odd years ago, cheating by actually discovering the announce packet while monitoring some azureus traffic (I think azureus was around version 1[dot]smth around that time and it was the best p2p application as it was eating a lot of bandwidth from the shared wireless local provider, so hourray for me). I still remember the first time I saw 100KB/s in the torrent client. But anyways the first thing I did was test it on a tracker and because I just registered for a myspleen account and because I saw top snatchers there with dudes with a lot of gigs I instantly spoofed myself 1TB (or smth, might've been less). Top of the list very happy, I was there for about 6 months till my account was closed but I don't think I ever downloaded a bit. It was childish I know. That was a one-time test I never repeated again.
    Later I got involved with some private general trackers and kept myself afloat the old school way. I was getting a 0.7 ratio so I was getting by barely. Another year or so, broadband and isp peering became a commodity, so they upped the minimum to something like 1.0 ratio for normal users, 0.5 became a minimum for maintaining your account. So here comes along RatioMaster (don't know how I stumbled acrossed this one ). Because I knew how torrenting worked and from the start I was keeping the client opened at least 12h a day, I had incredible seed times on a lot of old torrents. Popped in a few older torrents in the software and after some mindful spoofing I was back on track with above 1 ratio and averaging less than 1KB/s upload for those torrents. No detection there so everything AOK.
    On to the next part! Some 5 years ago (might be more) I was becoming more and more involved in the idea of the private tracker community. My private torrenting needs were covered by Demonoid, isoHunt and Torrentz so no ratio problems, and I was getting into web design doodling for my own satisfaction and for others in the private tracker world. My computer was averaging 18h a day awake and not long after it became 24h/24h 7 days a week. I never had good upload speeds, most of the time .5 or .25 out of the ddl speed, but I was persistent despite being able to cheat because I always felt torrenting was more about giving back than taking and bouncing.
    So steadily I got myself a front-row seat in private tracker communities based on messing around with design and after a while I was becoming an honorific member on quite a few trackers. I than became part of the staff and got cooking on better understanding of the whole dynamic of underground communities. At that time I was still cheating from time to time, but nothing much, just rounding .7 or more to 1.0 on old as hell torrents. Nobody cared and RatioMaster became more and more competent at cheating. Skipping ahead...
    As for SB-i I first discovered it in my college years, when cheating was quite old news and because I just wanted to leech from the campus tracker I googled around for torrent mods and this is the place I came running to. I was a member of that staff too, and because I didn't like the direction it was heading to, I quit my post and went on being the crazy ass leecher which the stupid staff never suspected.
    Actually being a member of some private trackers is what got me banned time and time again from other trackers. Some time ago, like I mentioned about in another forum, people began recognizing my nickname and after being banned on one tracker, an admin friend moving to that community got me a 2TB up 0b down account that still got banned cause the rest of the staff loved me so much. ooh the stories.

Anyway I quit "the scene" some time ago, as it was too much of a hassle and I got too many offers really when I didn't have the time. So now this is what I have to say about let's put it simply manners:
    Sharing is caring!
    I've been a member of a lot of well known or rather obscure trackers and I've been behind the curtain too. The whole bittorrent, heck , p2p mantra is giving back. It's really quite awful when there are few people trying to spread new content bottling up their bandwidth so that members can snatch it, and after 5 minutes since the first completion, 100 others complete it too, but only maybe 10 seeders remain to continue seed it. I understand not being able to run your pc 24h a day but keeping a 700MB movie on your hard-drive for a month ( stupid of me to say, let it be a week ) is not going to kill anybody. It's not hard to give back trust me! My current laptop is having it's third birthday this October and it's been up and seeding 85% of the time despite me being a lot on the road and despite having lots of troubles with isps not letting me use bittorrent.
    I really think it's ok for a user that seeds torrents for some time (more than a day) to cheat to keep his account afloat on a private tracker, and I'm ok too with leech with no download as long as he really uploads back content. Users should really understand that availability should be treasured and not taken lightly and that ratio is just another number.
    I still remember the days when I used to download quality rips from IRC with dialup speeds. Users might again need to be taught that others sharing you stuff is a privilege and not a god-given right that should be inscribed in the Magna Carta.

Spoiler Again Offtopic:

The private community staff is lazy!
    Tracker staff don't usually get down and greasy with detecting, cheaters. If there are good scripts that auto ban or just scripts that present data in an easy to digest and if there is also an incentive to run around finding cheaters they are going to find you. If not, they just sit back and roam the forums like any other users or just go and upload content to the tracker. Remember there are exceptions, usually when concerning higher ups but as most of them are simply mods they are quite lazy. Some will debate that they have jobs and stuff but most staff on private trackers these days sit around the house all day.

Know your isp's limits.
    I've usually, seen this on trackers where the user base is mostly country specific. The staff has a list of most limits for big isp's and users going over the limit using that data plan gets banned. Also, one can usually spot a cheater going overboard by looking at traffic history, so try to stay in your usual average.
    While I've been working for some trackers I've been fiddling with tracker logging and one could write quite an easy logger that flags abnormal traffic activity, based on detecting your isp average. Fortunately I never got around to even start it.

P.S. I might have gotten ahead of myself and written quite useless stuff but I'm quite glad it's now written.
    Last edited by fuzzy; 29.07.11 at 03:00.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

Khanna (29.07.11) , Instab (29.07.11) , anon (29.07.11)

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by dunkendonuts View Post
    ...whole post....
    Well. Now you learned something the hard way. But that's a good thing that you got banned because your able to start over at some point in time and learn from your mistakes. I too learned things the hard way. What I've learned is that there is always something good out of something bad.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss10
    I cheat because I want to maintain my ratio but at the same time, don't feel like needlessly seeding all day and wearing the life out of my computer. I don't need a seedbox because, well let's face it- I'm not going to pay to torrent (that'd be kind of ironic). There are so many users with seedboxes, as anon said, whose upload speeds are ridiculously fast and are enough to cover the torrent's needs. However, I don't believe in simply leeching the crap out of trackers- I do believe in the concept of "sharing." I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I cheated day in and day out without doing anything for the tracker. So, to even things out, I contribute some of my own content to trackers. I try to fill requests when I'm bored and in general, at least try to attempt to be an asset to the community (somewhat live up to the power user title). I also never cheat on ratioless trackers- I always seed to the time required because that is a reasonable request and something I can do.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 13/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss24
    Tracker Health? With my 50kbps upload ratio when there are guys who upload mb/s?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 13/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss1
    I might have a slightly skewed opinion on this because I really only cheat on games, and I only just joined because I found the whole idea of how trackers work interesting.

But, If you cheat and it only affects yourself, thats fine. If you cheat and it affects others around you, then there is a problem.

I tie this up with the whole Solo versus Online play. In solo play / RPG's for example. You aren't hurting anyone by having 999 stats, however once you go into any form of online RPG that is where things get twisted. Even when playing Phantasy Star Online, if I cheat, I cheat to the point where it only affects me.

I don't know, I mean, honor amongst thieves I guess, in some form.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 13/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss24
    Quote Originally Posted by skeelz View Post
    I might have a slightly skewed opinion on this because I really only cheat on games, and I only just joined because I found the whole idea of how trackers work interesting.

But, If you cheat and it only affects yourself, thats fine. If you cheat and it affects others around you, then there is a problem.

I tie this up with the whole Solo versus Online play. In solo play / RPG's for example. You aren't hurting anyone by having 999 stats, however once you go into any form of online RPG that is where things get twisted. Even when playing Phantasy Star Online, if I cheat, I cheat to the point where it only affects me.

I don't know, I mean, honor amongst thieves I guess, in some form.
    you don't affect anyone because there are swarms of seedboxes that upload in 1h what you upload in 1 month
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss451
    Quote Originally Posted by skeelz View Post
    Cheating benefits you as well as others. A person cheats because his speed is not good and he cannot afford a seedbox. When you cheat, you create a buffer for yourself. When the cheater downloads, he helps others (especially seedbox users) to build their ratio. A seedbox is of no use if there is no leecher. So cheating actually helps you as well as others to build their ratio
    Thanks

P2P Client
    rtorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss392
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Cheating benefits you as well as others. A person cheats because his speed is not good and he cannot afford a seedbox. When you cheat, you create a buffer for yourself. When the cheater downloads, he helps others (especially seedbox users) to build their ratio. A seedbox is of no use if there is no leecher. So cheating actually helps you as well as others to build their ratio
    Most trackers where it's the case aren't hard to seed to be 1337 or anything but because the tracker politics want it too. The rate of freeleech torrents and what you can get out of BPs highly determine whether or not users need seedboxes or are forced to upload content.
    For example I'm pretty sure most music/ebook trackers try to be hard to seed at so that the user adds content / fills requests etc. What.cd wouldn't be the biggest collection of music on the internet if not masses of users with crappy home connections would rip music and fill requests etc.
    What I'm trying to say is that on some, not all, trackers cheating actually harms a lot because it gets easier to seed at and less users (not only the cheaters) are forced into cross seeding / ripping / filling requests.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss451
    Quote Originally Posted by leus View Post
    Most trackers where it's the case aren't hard to seed to be 1337 or anything but because the tracker politics want it too. The rate of freeleech torrents and what you can get out of BPs highly determine whether or not users need seedboxes or are forced to upload content.
    For example I'm pretty sure most music/ebook trackers try to be hard to seed at so that the user adds content / fills requests etc. What.cd wouldn't be the biggest collection of music on the internet if not masses of users with crappy home connections would rip music and fill requests etc.
    What I'm trying to say is that on some, not all, trackers cheating actually harms a lot because it gets easier to seed at and less users (not only the cheaters) are forced into cross seeding / ripping / filling requests.
    Agree with you. As far as I am concerned, I like to upload stuff on trackers (but small sized stuff coz my connection is not fast enough). I also seed every torrent I download for 2-3 weeks. I have 2 laptops and one of them is always on so I seed and download 24x7.

The problem is that the amount of download is a lot more than the amount I can upload. So I need to cheat to maintain a balance. I cheat only during weekends and try to maintain a fair ratio for the rest of the days. :-)
    Thanks

P2P Client
    uTorrent 2.2.1
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssssss8
    I use cheating as a crutch as I usually use my bandwidth for other things. I always try to seed stuff that I like for the sake of people having the same interests as me, like ebooks and video tutorials.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss376
    I cheat like an asshole (but I'm not, you may call me Sir) , hogging as much buffer while in my head I piss all over their stupid rules and principles .
    Then I go troll on some private tracker chats and make fun of the staff until I get booted out , a couple of times I got banned on the site because of trolling even though I also cheated many times in the past , that was the stated reason because I also have to troll in the support/help room.
    You got to love p2p!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss533
    I don't always cheat but when I do
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-dont-always-sicf05.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	14910
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by THC View Post
    I don't always cheat but when I do
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-dont-always-sicf05.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	14910
    Guy is making a giveaway in one of those "elite" invite forums. After a thorough scan, he picks one of the applicants and sends the invite. Guy2 registers and visits the inviter's profile on the tracker, then opens his instant messaging program and asks him which ratio tool he used to get so much upload.

True story, it happened some years ago.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

17. Who Said Thanks:

ozymandis (12.01.15)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast