Thread: Improvements to SB-I

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435

Improvements to SB-I

In order to help that SB-I is being constantly improved I thought what Sb-I would need is a better structure of the start page. For a longer period of time I was thinking about a way to make browsing there more comfortable. I came up with the following ideas and hopefully there will be some feedback from the staff and the members.

My first point, maybe a bit too much for some of you, would be to cut down the amount of information shown on the start page. See, I think, there are far too many forum sections shown than really used, especially in the german section. As the majority of the board is using the english-speaking part of the board (myself included), I think, a good first step would be to cut down/ integrate those forum sections in order to have the same amount of sections as in the english section at most.
    As the role model I take the english section because it looks quite better structured.

Starting with the community part of the german section.
    Community
    I think it would be a good start just to have:
    • Offtopic (maybe including "CHill and Fun Section")
    • Politik
    • Umfragen
    • Entertainment (including "Kino, DVD, TV und Serien", "Musik", "Handy & Mobilfiunk" )
    • Sport & Fitness

Technik
    A possible improvment could look like this: (again, reference is the english section)
    • Software
    • Hardware
    • Grafik
    • Computer, Internet und Netzwerk (either integrating OS or leaving it since the majority of threads there could be easily imported into the news section)

Filesharing
    Same procedure as used above:
    First, I would apply the same order as it is used in the english filesharing section.
    • Talk
    • Tracker Reviews
    • FAQ's & Tutorials
    • BitTorrent Tracker Account & Invite Trading
    • BitTorrent Mods & Tools
    • eMule Mods & Tools
    • OCH Mods & Tools

Since the german is now completely described I coming to the only change in the english section that, in my eyes, would be good.

Information
    There I would only remove the Arcade Gameshall, since there hasn't been posted anybody yet. (If a group of people wishes the opposite later, it could be reconsidered)
    -------------------------------------------------

Another point that I would like to mention is the thing about the news sections in both parts.
    I find them really useful since I can read nearly about everything that happens in world from one place. The only thing what I don't like though is the fact that the other sections are used for that intention. For example, when the german Games Talk/ Konsolen & Spiele section and the german Game Newes are commpared. If so many news are posted there too, I think we don't really another news section. The other possibility would be to abandon the entire german Games section and integrate the few post that aren't news into the above mentioned Entertainment section. That way the news wouldn't go to two places and we save up some space on the start page.
    The same can actually be done with several other sections too, for example with the Betriebssysteme section and even with the "Computer, Internet und Netzwerk" that I want to exclude from that list because of the importace. the Betriebssysteme section nearly consisting of news only could be imported to the Computer news.

But don't get me wrong, I don't want to offend the posters there! I appreciate erveryones work in keeping SB-I up-to-date with the latest news. I just want that everything goes in the proper channels, thats's why those news sections were originally created, I suppose.

As I just wanted to give an impulse and a help to that change I didn't look up all the other threads. There may be some further interferences/overlaps. If these possible changes met some of the users/staff members approval here, they could help in discovering more of those overlaps.

A last thing I wanted to bring up is the right on the start page the "latest releases" I don't know if only I experience it too big or if others do so too?
    I appreciate that feature very much cause it helps to see the latest releases right after opening the start page. But couldn't be done there something about its size as it uses up a lot of space there. Maybe arranging the links another way?

I would clearly understand if you don't want to apply all of them, but I htink, those are good ideas of how to improve the broswing here and how to get rid of rarly used or unused sections. As I am a member here too, I wanted to seize my opportunity as a member to improve the site and the browsing experience. Hopefully nobody sees that as negative critisism as this should only be thing that would make the page even better!
    I know the staff has to do a lot of work, but if they would need some helping handy, I bet they could count on us, the (advanced) users/ elite users/ vips.

greetz vDD
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

ErRor (13.01.11) , 50 Cent (18.07.10) , Vuze-Sbi (16.06.10) , saebrtooth (30.12.09) , Mr.unknown (21.11.09) , CS Curse (14.10.09) , SBcheater (13.10.09) , Aurion (13.10.09) , Snitlev (13.10.09) , fromas (12.10.09) , thecoolest (11.10.09) , Mihai (11.10.09) , slikrapid (10.10.09) , Manas (28.08.09) , SealLion (28.08.09) , Dynamic (27.08.09) , Butcho (26.08.09) , anonftw (26.08.09) , SBfreak (26.08.09) , anon (26.08.09)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Blocker, we have the Grafik subforum in the german area, is that what you mean with GFX section?

mangathala2002, sure, that will still prevent our mods from being leaked.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    Change it so that a user can be auto-promoted to Member after being here for 30 days
    I clearly disagree too, since those who just download can do that witout the member title.
    The promotion is kind of an award for those who who commit something to the community/ site.

FTP download section
    Sounds interesting. But the mods have to decide on that if there's some money left for an ftp server and if it would be of any use.
    I don't know whether it would be useful since the mods can be distributed the way as it's done.

Nevertheless, I would be for an irc server. Even though this topic was discussed earlier in another thread. Somehow I didn't like the concept of that implemented shoutbox. But it would definitly help to be in touch with the ppl here on a live basis. And you wouldn't have to rely on instant messaging programms like icq and stuff.
    But of course, it's the staffs decision again.
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

P2P Client
    anything that meets me
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss455
    as i think ppl have an option to choose a spl forums means if ppl dont know abt german dont get german in area when they sign in..

Also abt member thing..ppl who contributed..little can get the member title..but how much can one contribute to the site??which is already information here then & also which kinda work moderators thinks that member is being contributed??? i didnt understand it..
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by thebestofme13 View Post
    Also abt member thing..ppl who contributed..little can get the member title..but how much can one contribute to the site??which is already information here then & also which kinda work moderators thinks that member is being contributed??? i didnt understand it..
    I made a big post in the feedback for open registrations thread about this. Search for it.
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

P2P Client
    anything that meets me
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss455
    i alredy posted there..2ce till now as i think...i contribute alot of knowledge but its does not working..
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    ...i contribute alot of knowledge but its does not working
    Don't worry, the staff's deciding who gets the member title. Plus, it's one of the nicest communities I've seen on the net. So, don't think, that somebody misjudges your efforts here.
    Just be stay with us and you'll get your rank.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by thebestofme13 View Post
    i alredy posted there..
    What vDD+wR said + posting itself won't get you anywhere, you could make 500 posts in one day and still not get the Member title.
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 sssss1619
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Blocker, we have the Grafik subforum in the german area, is that what you mean with GFX section?
    Yes,but Iwould like to have one in the english section because I'dont speak german and translating is not so practical for me.

Quote Originally Posted by vDD+wR View Post

Sounds interesting. But the mods have to decide on that if there's some money left for an ftp server and if it would be of any use.
    I don't know whether it would be useful since the mods can be distributed the way as it's done.
    Yeah but with a ftp server people can get much content or just exclusive for donors or members,that could help in more activity in the forum and some donations

vDD+wR;The shoutbox is good for me I don't care of an IRC server
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Quote Originally Posted by Blocker View Post
    Yes,but Iwould like to have one in the english section because I'dont speak german and translating is not so practical for me.
    You're allowed to post in english in the german area
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10) , Blocker (16.10.09)

P2P Client
    anything that meets me
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss455
    ya .i understand that thing vdd+wR but the main problem is something else as u can see it here
    more info here

http://www.sb-innovation.de/showthre...=10#post135995
    Thanks

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    Yeah but with a ftp server people can get much content or just exclusive for donors or members,that could help in more activity in the forum and some donations
    Sorry, but I still don't see an advantage of applying an ftp-server to SB-I.
    If it comes to content that should be only visible/ accessable to user classes above the normal members, this could be realized through certain sections which are visible for those user classes only. (As it already is.)

The shoutbox is good for me I don't care of an IRC server
    I'm not quite sure, but wouldn't an independent IRC server have the advantage that it won't increase the CPU load?
    Whereas applying the shoutbox on the webserver, where SB-I is "located", would increase the CPU load/RAM usage, right?
    As I said I'm not that sure about it, but I would be happy if someone could varify/falsify my thesis.
    Thanks

23. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10) , Blocker (16.10.09)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Both will increase resource usage, of course. But IRC would be easier on the server than a shoutbox anyone can access.
    Thanks

25. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10) , vDD+wR (15.10.09)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2777
    the order of the english p2p section has been updated.

cheaten - wieso kompliziert wenn's auch einfach geht.!

No Place to Hide
    Thanks

27. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

Activity Longevity
    7/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39430
    Looks great Should draw more attention towards the OCH area
    Thanks

I guess you should close the forum for unregistered members, i've been using your mods for a long time now and i only registered today.
    Thanks

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast