Thread: Improvements to SB-I

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435

Improvements to SB-I

In order to help that SB-I is being constantly improved I thought what Sb-I would need is a better structure of the start page. For a longer period of time I was thinking about a way to make browsing there more comfortable. I came up with the following ideas and hopefully there will be some feedback from the staff and the members.

My first point, maybe a bit too much for some of you, would be to cut down the amount of information shown on the start page. See, I think, there are far too many forum sections shown than really used, especially in the german section. As the majority of the board is using the english-speaking part of the board (myself included), I think, a good first step would be to cut down/ integrate those forum sections in order to have the same amount of sections as in the english section at most.
    As the role model I take the english section because it looks quite better structured.

Starting with the community part of the german section.
    Community
    I think it would be a good start just to have:
    • Offtopic (maybe including "CHill and Fun Section")
    • Politik
    • Umfragen
    • Entertainment (including "Kino, DVD, TV und Serien", "Musik", "Handy & Mobilfiunk" )
    • Sport & Fitness

Technik
    A possible improvment could look like this: (again, reference is the english section)
    • Software
    • Hardware
    • Grafik
    • Computer, Internet und Netzwerk (either integrating OS or leaving it since the majority of threads there could be easily imported into the news section)

Filesharing
    Same procedure as used above:
    First, I would apply the same order as it is used in the english filesharing section.
    • Talk
    • Tracker Reviews
    • FAQ's & Tutorials
    • BitTorrent Tracker Account & Invite Trading
    • BitTorrent Mods & Tools
    • eMule Mods & Tools
    • OCH Mods & Tools

Since the german is now completely described I coming to the only change in the english section that, in my eyes, would be good.

Information
    There I would only remove the Arcade Gameshall, since there hasn't been posted anybody yet. (If a group of people wishes the opposite later, it could be reconsidered)
    -------------------------------------------------

Another point that I would like to mention is the thing about the news sections in both parts.
    I find them really useful since I can read nearly about everything that happens in world from one place. The only thing what I don't like though is the fact that the other sections are used for that intention. For example, when the german Games Talk/ Konsolen & Spiele section and the german Game Newes are commpared. If so many news are posted there too, I think we don't really another news section. The other possibility would be to abandon the entire german Games section and integrate the few post that aren't news into the above mentioned Entertainment section. That way the news wouldn't go to two places and we save up some space on the start page.
    The same can actually be done with several other sections too, for example with the Betriebssysteme section and even with the "Computer, Internet und Netzwerk" that I want to exclude from that list because of the importace. the Betriebssysteme section nearly consisting of news only could be imported to the Computer news.

But don't get me wrong, I don't want to offend the posters there! I appreciate erveryones work in keeping SB-I up-to-date with the latest news. I just want that everything goes in the proper channels, thats's why those news sections were originally created, I suppose.

As I just wanted to give an impulse and a help to that change I didn't look up all the other threads. There may be some further interferences/overlaps. If these possible changes met some of the users/staff members approval here, they could help in discovering more of those overlaps.

A last thing I wanted to bring up is the right on the start page the "latest releases" I don't know if only I experience it too big or if others do so too?
    I appreciate that feature very much cause it helps to see the latest releases right after opening the start page. But couldn't be done there something about its size as it uses up a lot of space there. Maybe arranging the links another way?

I would clearly understand if you don't want to apply all of them, but I htink, those are good ideas of how to improve the broswing here and how to get rid of rarly used or unused sections. As I am a member here too, I wanted to seize my opportunity as a member to improve the site and the browsing experience. Hopefully nobody sees that as negative critisism as this should only be thing that would make the page even better!
    I know the staff has to do a lot of work, but if they would need some helping handy, I bet they could count on us, the (advanced) users/ elite users/ vips.

greetz vDD
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

ErRor (13.01.11) , 50 Cent (18.07.10) , Vuze-Sbi (16.06.10) , saebrtooth (30.12.09) , Mr.unknown (21.11.09) , CS Curse (14.10.09) , SBcheater (13.10.09) , Aurion (13.10.09) , Snitlev (13.10.09) , fromas (12.10.09) , thecoolest (11.10.09) , Mihai (11.10.09) , slikrapid (10.10.09) , Manas (28.08.09) , SealLion (28.08.09) , Dynamic (27.08.09) , Butcho (26.08.09) , anonftw (26.08.09) , SBfreak (26.08.09) , anon (26.08.09)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2777
    the size of the current release box is really a problem and we experimented with a few plugins to improve it but we are still searching for a solution. yes it have to much elements, in first place you can see there the newest mods from the last weeks without the need to go through the forum but on the other side its using a lot of space and we had many discussions about it.

i agree with the news area problem

and i agree that there is to much in the front page. the real problem is not the quantity in one area because if you look in the community area there arent much forums but the whole page is if you have every area open to long especially because we have two languages. we have ideas on how to improve this but first we need to wait for the vbulleting 4.0 update and then we need time to see how we can fix that problem

cheaten - wieso kompliziert wenn's auch einfach geht.!

No Place to Hide
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10) , vDD+wR (28.08.09) , Butcho (27.08.09)

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    Hey hitman, thanks for sharing your thought here! Greatly appreciated.

the size of the current release box is really a problem and we experimented with a few plugins to improve it but we are still searching for a solution
    If the staff finds that this should has to be taken care of really fast, then you could maybe do it like with the forum sections, that the latest release box could be minimized and maximized. (maybe with that minus/plus-button)
    Of course this wouldn't be the best solution of all, but it would serve its purpose for the time until the bulletin updates is released.
    Another approach can be that the staff could categorize all the releases.
    E.g.:

Latest Realeases:
    • Bittorrent rls(+)
    • eMule rls(+)
    • OCH rls(+)

You can put them in one row too, since this would save more space and would look better too, if you ask me.
    But this way none of the releases has to be removed, since, with the plus/minus button, every category can be expanded.
    You don't even have to classify the releases for members and non-members.
    Behind the releases for members you could put an [M] that's indicating that this is available for members only. Another solution could be (dunno if this is possible) to hide the entire list of latest releases which can only be downloaded from members for non-members. Of course, you can combine this to make browsing more comfortable for the users who are logged in and for those who aren't.

and i agree that there is to much in the front page. the real problem is not the quantity in one area because if you look in the community area there arent much forums but the whole page is if you have every area open to long especially because we have two languages. we have ideas on how to improve this but first we need to wait for the vbulleting 4.0 update and then we need time to see how we can fix that problem
    That's good to see, that there's being worked on. And I understand your position that you think not a section in particular but the whole forum causes this problem. I think so too.
    But the reason I espicially mentioned the community section is because there's the biggest difference to the english counterpart. See, as this is more an english speaking board already, I don't think that so many sections are necessary there. PLus, I think, the board would profit from a uniform layout orienting on the english section.
    But let's finally wait for the 4.0 release. it's good, that the staff already has possible plans for solving the problem.

i agree with the news area problem
    For that I only see the solutions I already wrote down in my opening post. And as this might be an urgent problem, the staff should consider taking proceedings, otherwise the misuses would go on and might take effect on new users who might think that this is the right way to do it. (to avoid a snowball effect )

greetz vDD
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10) , SBfreak (30.08.09)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2777
    the announcement box can now be expanded and closed like the other forum areas. should be enough till we have a better solution.

No Place to Hide
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10) , anonftw (11.10.09) , SBfreak (10.10.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    the announcement box on the front forum page could be rearranged in such way that it shows only the last/newest 5-10 releases for both member & non-member section with a link underneath them (All Releases) towards a new thread that would contain the full list of releases sorted by their purpose/name/version as vDD+wR suggested:

* Bittorrent rls(+)
    * eMule rls(+)
    * OCH rls(+)

i would add that some threads/forum sections have the same name for english & german section and sometimes its hard to distinguish which one has what language - this could be fixed by renaming the sections, like this:

Off Topic --> Off Topic (german) or Off Topic DE

or Tracker Reviews (deutsch) ...
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 20/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2777
    the announcement box has been reduced to 5 items with a link to the full list of releases.

i would add that some threads/forum sections have the same name for english & german section and sometimes its hard to distinguish which one has what language - this could be fixed by renaming the sections, like this:

Off Topic --> Off Topic (german) or Off Topic DE

or Tracker Reviews (deutsch) ...
    on the other side you can deactivate in your usercp in the settings the forum parts that you dont want to see if you use the newest post button. the german tracker review is not in that list but we will see where the problem is.

No Place to Hide
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10) , slikrapid (14.10.09) , vDD+wR (13.10.09) , alpacino (13.10.09)

P2P Client
    µT
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss435
    the announcement box has been reduced to 5 items with a link to the full list of releases.
    hey hitman,

as I came to the start page, I noticed that. Looks way better in my opinion & much more attractive to guests visiting the page.

on the other side you can deactivate in your usercp in the settings the forum parts that you dont want to see if you use the newest post button.
    That wouldn't solve the actual problem, it would only be a workaround. But nevertheless a nice advice for customizing the start page. Didn't know that one until now.
    Thanks

13. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

VIP
    P2P Client
    legal, illegal, scheißegal
    Activity Longevity
    1/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssss10437
    @mods könnte man diesen sehr guten Threat paralell in den deutschen Feedback-Bereich mit einfliessen lassen.

Thx, vor allen an die Themen-Starterin

mfg

Wer versucht zu rennen, bevor er laufen kann, kommt meistens zu Fall

stop animal experiments, take child molesters - they like pain!

Besser man bereut was man getan hat, anstatt zu bereuen das man es unterlassen hat
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB Invention !!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2899
    First,nice ideas & potential to add & modify things you might think of leading to a better SB-I.
    Well,I have some points to comment on,the very noticeable of them is the news section which is as you said very useful to get updated frequently with what's happening around us,so I think that we shouldn't allow anything even if low informative to be posted out of this section on which we can guarantee full utilization of it.

Another interesting thing is the GameShall section,maybe we don't need to erase it but rather,encourage it by notifying the members about what does such a section offer to them in order to get more activity inside it.

Still,after all,I believe SB-I has highly leaped over much much more than ever before.You just can feel now that you're hovering through a professional,focused & very informative specialized community board which is quite relative to new modifications & implementation being taken into consideration on continous basis.
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss277
    I think SB-I should also setup an IRC channel, where people can interact more dynamically.
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

It would be a wasted of time.Lame anti-cheaters and admins will invade it.
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

Activity Longevity
    4/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss4827
    Make it invite only.

The problem is we had a chat in the past and it was quite dead, so I don't know if a IRC Channel would be worth the effort.

------------------------------>>>>>>>>>> <<<<<<<<<<------------------------------

Thanks

22. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss277
    Quote Originally Posted by SBfreak View Post
    Lame anti-cheaters and admins will invade it.

I understand this and Yes I agree but I am talking about a secret IRC channel where only trusted people can be invited. Hidden in depths of IRC network, for example there are scene groups also present on IRC but the one who knows can access them.

Like we have threat from anti-cheaters and physic tracker admins , those scene groups are also threatened by so called RIAA investigators, but they are operating in IRC network, because no one can reach them without properly knowing their address as IRC is an abyss .
    Last edited by SBcheater; 13.10.09 at 22:08.
    Thanks

24. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    5/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1606
    Please more templates

FTP download section (For exclusive content of our community)

a GFX section

and bigger avatars(at least 150x250px) would be nice improvements.
    Last edited by Blocker; 14.10.09 at 05:31.
    Thanks

26. Who Said Thanks:

saebrtooth (02.02.10)

Change it so that a user can be auto-promoted to Member after being here for 30 days
    Thanks

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast