+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Would I Upload?

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    Double-dialup upload speed... that's got to suck

And that's what the RM was created for - help those with very low upload rates to have a chance. It isn't all black and white
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze, Emule Chimera 1.4
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss44
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I honestly think that this is the best place for me to talk about this

All I ask you guys is to not be "politically correct" but to be honest with me. Fair? Are you ok with being honest with your answers and not try to look good? If you do not feel you can be honest with your answer, please try it at least.

I moved to a new specialized content tracker, and it is kind of small compared to the old one, so I found out that I have about 200GB of stuff that was never uploaded there.
    I am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment, and I have some kind of a pull making me feel that I should start uploading what I have. Here is my thinking.

What do you guys think about uploading in general and about my specific situation?
    First, nobody is pointing us a gun ordering to only leech and cheat. Keep in mind that this forum is published in internet, everyone can read it... and if more and more people will learn how to download and not upload, the p2p networks will die soon.
    If you have good files that's because someone did allow you to get them! So if you know a friendly place to upload them, just do it.
    We must keep in mind that cheating should be an alternative, not the normality. Also when you decide to "give", just do it to feel good with yourself, don't expect someone's being grateful, in other words let people comment whatever they want.
    You can just upload few torrents, not all the 200 Gb of your hard disk
    The final decision depends on your relation to that tracker, see if it's really worth the effort. I would say yes if the files are ~100 Mb each, and your UL speed is more than 50 Kb/s it won't take much time, especially if you have a notebook to setup for this job during the nighttime.
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (08.07.09) , anon (08.07.09)

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    Thanks for all the comments guys.
    I always wondered too weather, when we actually have the possibility to cheat and leech, we still feel like sharing if we have rare stuff. It puzzled me, but I guess it is the essence of being human.
    Also, when I get into something new, I normally overdo it at first. So I know that I should upload every now and then, but because I do have a lot of good stuff IMO, I will actually try to see how fast I would be able to reach 100 uploads or something which will make uploading a shore.
    Also, I do not know yet how worth it will the tracker be. In terms of content, it is very good. But at the same time there are not enough people to keep old torrents alive, but now more and more people are joining it. I like the place because of how nice the main big uploaders are with their awesome Swedish upload speeds and how much they go out of their way to fulfill requests.
    But at the same time, there are some jerks that go around making fun of newbies and the flaming forum is very active with the same 2 or 3 people that are very childish but also very vocal. I wish the admins will do something about that, but according to them those people are not breaking any rule.

I might go donate $10 to some poor people and feel really awesome about myself, much more than uploading

So can I ask a more specific question?

What, in your opinion, will make uploading to that tracker worth it?
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze, Emule Chimera 1.4
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss44
    If I had money to donate I would instead buy a better adsl with 1Gb upload band
    Jokes apart, don't have the answer for your last question while I don't have experience of uploading in new trackers... I'd prefere to contribute in a well knows tracker with lots of thousands files to make sure it will not die tomorrow and makes your job useless.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    Quote Originally Posted by James73 View Post
    If I had money to donate I would instead buy a better adsl with 1Gb upload band
    Jokes apart, don't have the answer for your last question while I don't have experience of uploading in new trackers... I'd prefere to contribute in a well knows tracker with lots of thousands files to make sure it will not die tomorrow and makes your job useless.
    How often did you upload, and for what reason?

---------- Post added at 00:45 ---------- Previous post was at 00:41 ----------

BTW I am convinced to upload
    Feels ironic to be convinced by cheaters to become an uploader. This should be published on TF to show complaining tracker admins that cheaters are good people, not the evil monsters they try to depict them to be.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Vuze, Emule Chimera 1.4
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss44
    How often did you upload, and for what reason?
    My oldest private tracker is 102 weeks, and I've uploaded 360 Gb and downloaded 180 (well the most is cheated ); I used to upload 3/4 files a week, now I upload 1/2 files a week when I have time and I am in the good mood. I started for fun, 2 years ago... (I was more into rapidshare but slowly left it because it pissed me off). This is the only tracker where I don't cheat anymore, I prefere to slow down my ratio by 0,1 and keep my old account safe. As I said before, I wish I was rich and could buy a professional adsl with huge upload band, and I would have loved to share all my stuff, but now the best I can do, is to upload 500 Mb / week.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    Quote Originally Posted by James73 View Post
    I would have loved to share all my stuff
    Now we are talking, and this is a great observation.
    Why would you love to share all your stuff? This answer will be what I am, in essence, looking for
    Thanks

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss86
    Now we are talking, and this is a great observation.
    Why would you love to share all your stuff? This answer will be what I am, in essence, looking for
    I am not sure why he would, but for me, it would be because I have gotten so much from other people and the community that not sharing *anything* would make me feel bad. As it was previously stated, p2p => sharing, and as such, I feel I need to also stick to that and give back for all that I have taken, even though ti takes me a while to give. Plus, sharing almost makes me feel proud to be part of all the p2p communities that I am a member at.
    Last edited by Kyllyee; 08.07.09 at 03:39.
    Thanks

10. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (08.07.09)

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyllyee View Post
    Plus, sharing almost makes me feel proud to be part of all the p2p communities that I am a member at.
    Thanks for your comment and I do get what you mean with this sentence. It is a great thing to think about
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

Kyllyee (08.07.09)

P2P Client
    Vuze, Emule Chimera 1.4
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss44
    Exact, I was just saying the same as Kyllyee, this is the same reason for which I prefere to use the option "share only incomplete files" in emule leecher mods, so at least I don't feel myself totally guilty
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (08.07.09)

P2P Client
    The best S-I can offer!
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss99
    interesting thread! even more interesting since we are all... so called cheaters.

but i agree with most of the statements made already! we upload because if we don't, the p2p network will crumble. the whole foundation of our networking is through sharing with one another and if we fail to do so, then we will fall as a whole.

it's also great to upload more because in that way you're more "trusted" and you contribute to the site and not just leech. and plus, it probably helps our conscience a little bit since we're cheating our way to better ratios and whatnot.

i try to upload whatever i have just because i want to keep my reputation spot clean and i would like to make myself known in the internet world. it's fun sometimes to help people and to see people say thanks to you! on the flipside, i see what you mean when you say you hate seeing people leave bad comments on the torrents you upload. however, as a whole, it just takes that one person to say thanks to make everything turn from sour to sweet!

hope my 2 cents was worth it.
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (08.07.09)

P2P Client
    vuze extreme mod
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss336
    I upload to certain trackers because I like sharing rare things I like with others. I only have a .5MBps upspeed, but there are certain things that I can contribute here and there to very specialized trackers. I almost never do this on 0day trackers because I see no need to compete or seed. There are, however, a few trackers I don't cheat on and that I upload regularly to because I like the people there and enjoy doing my part. On the big private trackers, I mostly just cheat. I save my upstream bandwidth for those that benefit from it.
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (08.07.09) , alpacino (08.07.09)

P2P Client
    rTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss445
    The whole point about p2p community is not about money. Its all about altruism.
    You take stuff. And you take stuff. And you take more stuff. Stuff that you like. Isn't matter what it is. You take all what you want because other people made efforts, spend time sacrificing it because they want to do so. Becouse of their ideals, their commitment or beliefs. Belives in free world. Belives that if someone out there made something that is made for watching, for entertainming people then everyone should have right to watch it and entertain themself. Not only privilaged group of people of some country or with some financial, economical status.
    So you got what you want from others. And now you question yourself should you give back something to the community witch provided you things you want. Well its all up to you and how do you feel about it. Some people upload because of their ego, e-status, the name, so that could tell around that they did it, some other might do it becouse of simple boredom but i belive that in all these reasons there is spark of altruism. Spark of pursuit witch gives us need to aid people regardles of reward that we might get or should expect. Same reason i write this now and all posts i wrote here or at any other place.

And now word about your specific case, aka. what would i do if i'm you. Depends. Depends what exactly your material is. If you got some general stuff that is easily available on other trackers but your tracker doesnt have it coz its new then no, i wouldn't upload it. IMHO there is damn too much general trackers and we really dont need them even more. Let all new general trackers burn to the ground.
    But.
    If you have some rare stuff, witch specificly fit into your trackers category theme then by all means go for it, make it richer, better, feel proudly about contributing in the true spirit of the p2p community.
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

anonftw (09.07.09) , anon (08.07.09) , SomeGuy (08.07.09) , slikrapid (08.07.09)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39386
    TF, FSF and countless others...

I basically agree with the posts above mine and don't like making "X is right" ones, but here we go:

So can I ask a more specific question?

What, in your opinion, will make uploading to that tracker worth it?
    • if someone bothers to leave cheers in the comments,
    • if a non-seedboxer stays seeding your stuff after he's done,
    • if in the end your files were what someone else was looking for,
    • in short, if someone shows they give a sh*t about your work,

You can then say watching your Upload Speed rise until that number below "Seeds" changed from 1 to 2 was worth it. Also, the fact that you're considering donating to the tracker speaks well of it.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

22. Who Said Thanks:

cutiepie (10.07.09) , anonftw (09.07.09)

P2P Client
    SB-I
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss267
    For me I think it is all about the community. If I feel welcomed and valued than I would contribute more than just my ratio.

I more than likely seed to 1:1 on most of the torrents I DL because I figured I should do my part. Without seeders this community will die.

Why do I upload? Just because I have nothing better to do with my bandwidth. It is not a lot when I am away from the comp.

Like many have said it depends on the tracker at which I will upload to...
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast