P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462

Question Why Would I Upload?

I honestly think that this is the best place for me to talk about this

All I ask you guys is to not be "politically correct" but to be honest with me. Fair? Are you ok with being honest with your answers and not try to look good? If you do not feel you can be honest with your answer, please try it at least.

I moved to a new specialized content tracker, and it is kind of small compared to the old one, so I found out that I have about 200GB of stuff that was never uploaded there.
    I am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment, and I have some kind of a pull making me feel that I should start uploading what I have. Here is my thinking.

BENEFITS:
    • I like feeling generous and giving. However, in my experience, it had bitten me in the ass a lot and I have regretted it when I just gave and then the people turned out to not be grateful and to not deserve it.
    • It will increase the members leading to more uploads which will benefit me because I might find more gems. I am thinking that I might contribute to people finding what they want on the tracker, therefore relying on it, and in turn uploading to or seeding old content which benefits me as well.
    • I might get a nice reputation on the tracker so that when someday I might request something maybe (although I am not sure about this) people will feel grateful about one or some of my uploads and put a little more effort into uploading what I need.
    • More people means more monetary revenue to that tracker, which means it could survive longer.
    • I might get nice comments which after a hard or stressful day could sheer me up.
    • It will be a nice entertainment to check on my uploads, who is downloading, which country, what uploads of mine or popular and why? etc
    • It is a perfect opportunity to cheat with ratiofaker

DRAWBACKS
    • It will actually take time. I noticed that popular torrents have synopsises and some nice graphics and stuff, so it will at least take 15 minutes to upload. I know myself too so I will be kind of distracted and looking at the torrent stats until people start downloading, and I will keep on checking on the comments for at least 30 minutes, so it might be 45 minutes per torrent, which multiplied by many many torrents = 200GB turns out to be a lot of time wasted for something that wouldn't actually pay the bills.
    • I might get really pissed off if someone makes a bad comment on one of my uploads. I noticed that the new tracker does not monitor comments, and I have seen some people acting like jerks in the comments of some torrents, which could offend me and make me regret my uploads.
    • I noticed that there are maybe 6 or 7 heavy uploaders, and those people love to take requests and are very very helpful even though I did not uplod anything. I might just save my time, not uplod, and if I want something I just ask one of them. But at the same time, although I do not believe that most of what I have is new to them, they might find every now and then something interesting, or at least by helping have more content and drawing more people I would be giving back to those big uploaders by giving them more leechers and maybe some other big uploader with rare stuff might like the site and joing because of my uploads and others.
    • My speed is not so fast, although these uploads are max around 100mb (I will not be going into making packs), the best time for me to upload will be when I am sleeping. I do not download at night, so uploading might make my computer and HD age faster and become slow.
    • The stuff I have is not 0-day, just cool old stuff that simply does not exist on the tracker because the tracker is somewhat new. However, it is good enough for me to have kept it and not deleted it for this long.
    • I already spend too much time just hanging around the internet, with uploading I might spend even more and work less, risking deadlines etc

What do you guys think about uploading in general and about my specific situation?
    Last edited by SomeGuy; 07.07.09 at 23:43.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    It is a perfect opportunity to cheat with ratiofaker
    Careful with that. The only seeder (you) uploads at 200kB/s, but the sum of all others' download speeds doesn't reach 100kB/s?

I'd say you initially upload some small things just to see if others actually care about your work. If reactions are good, slowly keep on contributing with new content, say 2-3 torrents a week, as your upload speed and time allow you. Sharing is nice, but it's not a paid job.

Don't let stupid comments piss you off (unless they're overwhelming...), those can be found on almost every tracker.

Whether your stuff is 0-Day or not doesn't matter. The tracker doesn't have it, and one of its members could be looking for it. Don't pass it to the "heavy uploaders" - your stuff = your upload, and your feeling you're contributing to the community right now. Their 100MBit seedboxes can still help after they snatch your files.

On to the technical details, about your HDD aging, set a relatively large disk cache in uTorrent - 16 or even 32MB would be fine, I'm sure you have enough RAM - and use "aggresive" read caching settings. This should brake down disk wear-tear. Also close all programs you aren't going to use while sleeping.

Furthermore, remember to enable Super Seeding when you're the only seeder on the torrent. It halves the amount of traffic you need to upload before someone else first snatches it. Disable it when there's another seeder already.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (08.07.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    lets state the obvious first - if there were no (or not enough) uploaders there wouldn't be interesting trackers or interesting stuff to download - so uploaders are very important for the community

it had bitten me in the ass a lot
    if you are afraid of problems/time/... start out with low number of uploads and find out your own comfortable level of sharing without any pressure from others

and forget about the comment trolls (don't feed them )

uploading might make my computer and HD age faster and become slow.
    slow if the upload isn't capped, hard drive wear can be neglected (too many factors anyways)

so i would say if you have the time and care for the community then go ahead and upload
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

Se7Ven (10.07.09) , SomeGuy (08.07.09)

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss86
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Careful with that. The only seeder (you) uploads at 200kB/s, but the sum of all others' download speeds doesn't reach 100kB/s?
    Also, if there is only like 1 or 2 leechers, the amount uploaded by a person and the amount downloaded by everyone else would also be the tell tale sign.

seeder uploads : 2 gigs ( of a 3 gig file )
    leechers ( like 1 or 2 ): Only downloaded 500 MBs each
    Last edited by Kyllyee; 07.07.09 at 23:57.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (08.07.09)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Yes, that's a subset of what I said and also a consequence of cheating when you're the only seeder.
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

Kyllyee (08.07.09)

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss65
    I might get nice comments which after a hard or stressful day could sheer me up.
    It will be a nice entertainment to check on my uploads, who is downloading, which country, what uploads of mine or popular and why? etc
    I think you need to go out where the sun shines or the moon glows.

It will actually take time. I noticed that popular torrents have synopsises and some nice graphics and stuff, so it will at least take 15 minutes to upload. I know myself too so I will be kind of distracted and looking at the torrent stats until people start downloading, and I will keep on checking on the comments for at least 30 minutes, so it might be 45 minutes per torrent, which multiplied by many many torrents = 200GB turns out to be a lot of time wasted for something that wouldn't actually pay the bills.
    Just upload 2 torrents every week. 15 + 15 = 30 mins per week. And stop wasting 30 mins for checking comments!
    Thanks

Why Would I Upload?
    So others like me can download.
    Simple question with simple answer.I don't see any big deal anyway.
    We cheat because we want/can/don't have the possibilities and for many other reasons but we must not forget what the essence of P2P is->sharing.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss86
    Quote Originally Posted by SBfreak View Post
    we must not forget what the essence of P2P is->sharing.
    Spot on! Even though I cheat, I still upload torrents, I still seed some finished downloads ( and usually always really old torrents ), and I still feel a need to give something back to the community, no matter how small.

So if you have stuff to share, especially rare stuff, upload it!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyllyee View Post
    I still seed some finished downloads ( and usually always really old torrents )
    I personally seed all my public torrents 1:1, then some more.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

anonftw (08.07.09)

Me too,it's your fault anon you got me into the spirit of filesharing
    Thanks

16. Who Said Thanks:

anonftw (08.07.09) , alpacino (08.07.09)

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    That's good for everyone, right?
    Thanks

18. Who Said Thanks:

anonftw (08.07.09) , alpacino (08.07.09) , Kyllyee (08.07.09) , SBfreak (08.07.09)

Yeah,but don't think this will stop a freaking cheater like me upload TB's per second
    Thanks

20. Who Said Thanks:

Se7Ven (10.07.09)

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss86
    I don't have the capabilities to do so, unless it is a small torrent ( like under a gig ), in which case I do most of the time.
    But yeah, uploading also has very nice benefits on certain trackers, like waffles, lol.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    5/5 ssss39386
    The last public torrent I'm seeding is 3.5GB - my ratio on it is 1.5 and increasing, with a 32kB/s upload speed. So if you have the time, a good enough connection and there are actual people to upload to (a problem on some ALTs), it's possible to minimize cheating.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss86
    The last public torrent I'm seeding is 3.5GB - my ratio on it is 1.5 and increasing, with a 32kB/s upload speed.
    32! Damn, I am lucky if I get past 10..... My rate is usually around 5. ( Thanks to RM, it is now 5*1000 )
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast