Thread: A Kind of SBI Mini Tracker for GhostLeeching

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462

Lightbulb A Kind of SBI Mini Tracker for GhostLeeching

I had this idea and I would like to share it with you.
    I am not that technically savvy, so for I'll let my imagination unrestricted and free, and those that know whether this will work or not can comment.
    If this is not a good idea, or is unacceptable, just tell me no.

I really love the community here. If most of the private trackers made you feel as much a sense of belonging as SBI does, I bet a lot more people will feel bad about cheating .

What I imagined is something like this:
    * We have people here that have access to a lot of great trackers. It is hard to be part of all trackers, but as a community we can pull our resources together, help each other, and exchange reputation points in the process lol

So this is what I imagined:
    1. There would be a forum section for Requests.
    2. When a member wants something that he or she could not find on the private trackers they have access to, they will write a descriptive thread asking for someone to help out.
    3. (Optional) I heard about websites that will do a search in all the private trackers you have access to. So to make it less hard for people to help out, you use one of those websites and find the file.
    4. You use a nice tutorial made here at SBI to strip the .torrent file from any information that could reveal your identity. Or maybe there would be a tool made here that would encrypt the .torrent file, and so when someone downloads it, he or she will use that tool to get the peerlist, strip the .torrent of private information, and maybe transfer all of this information to uTorrent Ghostleech mod, or maybe to Fazemod.
    5. You start downloading, and the ratio of the helper is not affected, and you get the file you want.

I think it is interesting, and feel free to voice your opinion and disagree, I'll still love you
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    The idea is feasible, but this:

Or maybe there would be a tool made here that would encrypt the .torrent file, and so when someone downloads it, he or she will use that tool to get the peerlist
    Would break the whole purpose of Ghostleeching+. The person that's at the private tracker needs to pass you the peerlist in a text file.

Also, it could be possible for tracker admins to know something's going wrong, if there's activity on a torrent no members are downloading, specially on small swarms. This could even make the seeders get banned at TheVault, for example, whose scripts closely check if you're faking on an inactive torrent. (The ghostleecher won't show up in the peerlist)

But in theory it's possible.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (30.06.09)

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    The idea is feasible, but this:

Would break the whole purpose of Ghostleeching+. The person that's at the private tracker needs to pass you the peerlist in a text file.
    Ok cool, I was just thinking about the key thing that the tracker uses to identify you, and to make it as easy as possible for people that do not know or find it too time consuming to help out.

Maybe a small tool that will just automate putting the peerlist into a txt file?

I don't know, if this is overdoing it, I am looking forward to the opinions of more people about whether they want this and find it useful or not.

Also anon, do you know of any website or way to search all the private trackers you have access to?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    That's already possible - right-click the peerlist in uTorrent and click "Copy Peer List". The problem for the ghostleecher is adding them to his client - he has to do it by hand.

BTJunkie lets you search private trackers, but leaks your passkey to everyone, which we don't want. I think there was another private tracker search engine that didn't do this, but I'm most likely shooting in the dark.
    Thanks

I like the idea with request section.But I think we should make that members only..or else we'll see like 10 BCG threads per hour
    Last edited by SBfreak; 30.06.09 at 17:14.
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (30.06.09)

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    How do you think that an SBI requests tracker would benefit SBI, its members, and you personally?

I think that it will be great, and I encourage everyone that is in favor to post their encouragement.

I would like it to be members only too like SBfreak, or even better, How would making it based on reputation limit potential problems?
    Last edited by SomeGuy; 30.06.09 at 17:19.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    How do you think that an SBI requests tracker would benefit SBI, its members, and you personally?
    Well, being able to download torrents from trackers we aren't even members of would be great.

SB-I wouldn't need a "tracker" in the BitTorrent sense of the word, but rather a section where we can fill requests by posting peerlists for said torrents. (By the way, we're not the first to think this - check TF's article on trackers being vulnerable to "anonymous leechers")

But such a Request section would need to indeed be Members-only or somehow restricted. We can't afford tracker admins making a fake request to then closely check new activity on that torrent.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    So anon, please tell me if this is a bad idea.
    How can we test this for a short period of time? How bad would it be to put a sticky thread with links to how to copy peerlists and ghostleech asking people to put and fulfill requests, let it be viewable by everyone so that non members have an incentive to join, and see how it works out for a week? If this is a not possible, just tell me no, it is ok.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39439
    We have decided that even if it's on a hidden section, that'd be posting IPs of other people, which we don't want, and is also forbidden by german law.

If you desperately need an specific torrent, you can always ask someone to send you the metadata and peerlist through other means.
    Thanks

12. Who Said Thanks:

SomeGuy (01.07.09)

+ Reply to Thread