+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wikileaks: The coming age of internet censorship

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079

wikileaks: The coming age of internet censorship

The link that's on Wikileaks is a very long report, but quite interesting if your willing to spend about 10 mins. or so reading it.

It's actually quite good.

I do encourage you to go to the link at the bottom and find out more.

In the meantime, have a cup of mocha and some Wikileaks to entertain your day:

n Internet history, 1994-2004 was the era of the pioneers. 2004-2007 was the era of the merchants. Now we’re entering the era of the bullies. Everywhere in the world, sites are going dark, arrests are increasing, more people are going to prison......Italy is right up there with Beijing and Shanghai, where cybercafés are required by law to check the IDs of every single client.....Web filtering is most often indicated by the “Page Not Found” message familiar to all Internet users, free or monitored. In computer lingo, it’s called a “404 error.”

the 404 error thing is news to me.

Anyhow....here's the link.

LIke I said, it's a long read and will take your entire lifetime to read. You'll have no time for working anymore.

You'll have no time for sleeping any more;

You'll have no more time for eating anymore;

You won't even have time to make p00- p00 anymore.

You'll only have time to read this and then it's the end of your life.

Enjoy.
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

slikrapid (24.06.09) , anonftw (24.06.09) , splicer (24.06.09) , alpacino (24.06.09)

P2P Client
    uTorrent / Azureus / kTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss531
    Managed to read it all hehe; it is a good read to see just how bad some countries are effected, compared to what I have had affecting me. At school they set up this firewall system, where each student had an account. You would login and be able to browse certain pages, and those you weren't allowed to browse were blocked, and the event logged. Luckily getting read of it was easy; all the Internet Explorers were directed through a proxy to one of the two school servers - all you had to do was just remove the proxy setting in IE and you could browse any webpage - did it for my whole class.

I don't imagine it would be as simple for the countries mentioned; but a common factor in those countries which have such censhorship is a government that wants control, and wants to keep it like that for as long as possible. This internet censorship is not going to be fought on the internet; public protests are what's needed, to remove those who are in charge and hopefully the barriers in place.
    Last edited by splicer; 24.06.09 at 12:27.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (25.06.09)

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    the 404 error thing is news to me.
    In July 2004, the UK telecom provider BT Group deployed the Cleanfeed content blocking system, which returns a 404 error to any request for content identified as potentially illegal by the Internet Watch Foundation. Other ISPs return a HTTP 403 "forbidden" error in the same circumstances.[dubious – discuss]

LIke I said, it's a long read and will take your entire lifetime to read.
    uhh, too much wikileaks at once makes your head go

those you weren't allowed to browse were blocked, and the event logged. Luckily getting read of it was easy; all the Internet Explorers were directed through a proxy to one of the two school servers - all you had to do was just remove the proxy setting in IE and you could browse any webpage - did it for my whole class.
    the other server had no logs then?

This internet censorship is not going to be fought on the internet; public protests are what's needed, to remove those who are in charge and hopefully the barriers in place.
    maybe not directly, but it will indirectly through spreading information to all who are interested - as for barriers, there will probably always be some considering companies, institutions (government, education),... and they partially have a right to make some barriers, but generally speaking, the more important/significant issue are possible private user barriers (via ISPs, OS, software, google,...)
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (25.06.09)

+ Reply to Thread