+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Resurrection bug' revived after 120,000 years

Activity Longevity
    8/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss39447

'Resurrection bug' revived after 120,000 years

A tiny bacterium has been coaxed back to life after spending 120,000 years buried three kilometres deep in the Greenland ice sheet.

Researchers who found it say it could resemble microbes that may have evolved in ice on other planets.

Officially named Herminiimonas glaciei, the bug consists of rods just 0.9 micrometres long and 0.4 micrometres in diameter, about 10 to 50 times smaller than the well-known bacterium, Escherichia coli.

"What's unique is that it's so small, and seems to survive on so few nutrients," says Jennifer Loveland-Curtze of Pennsylvania State University, whose team has described the new species.
    'Resurrection bug' revived after 120,000 years - life - 15 June 2009 - New Scientist
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    This would be an interesting find, no doubt. If this bacterium could survive on few nutrients, then perhpas the possiblity wold exist for it to also survive on other planets too, yes??

I have also heard that under the ice, Greenland is quite an interesting geological landscape.

Satellite photos taken of Greenland ( as I saw on TV once) show it to be depressed inland due to the pressure of the above-ground ice covering it.

In other words, it is suppossed to have a 'bowl' shape under the ice.

That would make sense, I think.,
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss44
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    I have also heard that under the ice, Greenland is quite an interesting geological landscape.
    Same is said of Antarctica. Under the ice, is hard to say what is there. Land untouched by man for amazing amount of time. Very interesting to think about. Some advanced imaging may be able "see" through ice and view a topographical representation of land features. Something to look for, maybe.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    Quote Originally Posted by SealLion View Post
    If this bacterium could survive on few nutrients, then perhpas the possiblity wold exist for it to also survive on other planets too, yes??
    depends on other planet's nutritive options, is it indigenous to earth only or where does it come from anyways

generally speaking other planets are likely to be 'full' of life (as 'life' can include any microscopic organism too), just a different kind or one that has adapted to different living conditions

it is suppossed to have a 'bowl' shape under the ice.
    That would make sense, I think.,
    it does if the 'solid' ice cover over the land has a similar but inverted (upside-down bowl shape) shape, but there might be other geological factors involved
    Thanks

5. Who Said Thanks:

SealLion (18.06.09)

+ Reply to Thread