+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asteroid Strike: Who Will Protect You?

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1191

Asteroid Strike: Who Will Protect You?

After an extensive search for asteroids a kilometer or more across, engineer Steve Chesley says that "we can now say with confidence that no asteroids large enough to cause such a global calamity [as killing off the dinosaurs] are headed our way."

But if one of them – or even a smaller, city-destroying rock – were detected on a collision course, would the world community be prepared to handle it? A conference of legal experts that discussed this question at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln last month answered it with a resounding "No."
    Who Is Responsible for Averting an Asteroid Strike? - ABC News
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    How does this guy know that earth is not going to get hit by an asteroid that has the force and strength to destroy earth??

He must make some sort of educated guess?

I hope that his educated guess would be right?

Though I do wonder if his statement that no asteroid with the strength and force to destroy earth is said with the same conviction and attitude that even people like you and me would say with: 'It can't happen to me', attitude.

YOu know what I mean??
    "God, from the mount Sinai
    whose grey top shall tremble,
    He descending, will Himself,
    in thunder, lightning, and loud trumpet’s sound,
    ordain them laws".

John Milton (1608-1674) in Paradise Lost

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Oh, oh. Better use LINUX.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SB-I
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss267
    I believe he has ESP. That is the only way to say for CERTAIN that nothing like that will happen.

I am just not so sure anyone can be certain of it not happening...

However, I could not care less.

Death is inescapable for us all.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Well, if he has ESP, then he must be only a handful of people around that have this incredibly fascinating mental capability.

Other than that, I don't think that he's got that capability.

I think that he's just making some educated guess based on past historical events in which asteroids have had close hits with the earth's body.

But like I said, I think he's still saying it with some ' it can't happen to me', attitude.

That's not a good attitude for a scientist, is it??

Anyways, his attitude, belief, and statement is something akin to what you mention where no-one can be certain of something happening.

Death is inescapable for everyone, that's for sure.

But I don't think that I'd like to die in a burning inferno or something where the pain of knowing that my flesh is sizzling to a burned crisp beyond what the ordinary cook fry's bacon to, after having an asteroid hit earth, develop some sort of nuclear event that is a catastrophe upon a catastrophe.

Regardless if destroys only a part of earth and not the other half or what-ever. I'd rather die a painless death of some sort. Makes the day of your passing a little bit easier, I'd say.

Less agonizing.
    ordain them laws".

Ripley's SealLion's Believe it or Not! ~ NASCAR car crashes and Windows have just one thing in common.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1191
    i think he knows that it can happen just says so to not make panic
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    you could be right about that, kazuaya.

I didn't think about that at first. Maybe that is what he want's others to believe. Who knows, yes??

STill as a scientist, it's not in his interest to alter truths is it??

We all know that scientists are educated to tell truths and seek truths when found, yes??
    Last edited by SealLion; 18.05.09 at 05:07.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1191
    Yea they should be telling truth.But i don't care,if asteroid strikes on Earth so should it be then,it will happen sooner or later,no one lives forever
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    well, yes. Everyone will pass on one day or another, but you know when an asteroid hits the earth (God forbid), it'll be havoc and catostrophie that we humans won't be able to control.

Even sending nuclear missiles to hopefully hit and destroy the thing won't help much as the asteroid that got hit will split up into multiple pieces and cause an even larger devestation with now multiple asteroids potentially hitting earth, instead of just one.

But my opinion that when, and if, our earth does get hit, some of humanity will survive.....I would hope so at least.

Honestly, I don't know why our earth hasn't been hit yet when our planet has been hit multiple times in the past such as when an asteroid hit Tunguska region during that event in Siberia in the early part of the last century.

Or even in other parts of the world in history where craters are evident. Our moon gets hit numerous times and the craters are evident there. Even when comets hit Jupitor a few years ago that I recall, were a very significant astrological event.

Either we're (our planet, that is) is in a very lucky position being where it is with respect to its location of other planets in our solar system or comets and asteroids that could cause significant damage to the earth haven't shown up yet or there are no asteroids and comets that could cause damage to the earth don't exist with respect to thier path towards the earth (they have a path that goes elsewhere instead), or it's just divine intervention. I don't know. That's all just my opinion.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1191
    Honestly, I don't know why our earth hasn't been hit yet when our planet has been hit multiple times in the past such as when an asteroid hit Tunguska region during that event in Siberia in the early part of the last century.
    i think we have luck with position of our planet.other planets absorb asteroids,mostly Jupiter i think because he is so big and has also strong gravity,i remeber that big asteroid strike that left dark spots on it few years ago
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss22
    We all have to die some day, if an asteroid strikes... So shall it be. No one can protect themselves from a huge rock falling from the sky, unless if you are in the business of building underground bunkers...
    Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    remember how USA was prepared for Katrina? floods, or 9/11, no one is prepared for something like that
    no need to be a scientist to know that

LOL @ ESP, this one might be tough even for professor X

Death is inescapable for everyone, that's for sure.
    hey, why so negative, this may be avoidable, there are many theories, some might work

@ SeaLion

your imagination is running wild
    just make sure 'the pills' are ready when the time comes

Either we're (our planet, that is) is in a very lucky position ...
    we are somewhat shielded by our atmosphere, other planets in our system and the Sun (by their size/gravity/...) of course, but then again gravity also pulls nearby flying objects towards our system

all those space objects that landed on the moon could have easily landed on Earth too

the problem is that its hard to see objects that emit no light in the universe, or to calculate paths correctly (especially including interactions of other space objects), virtually no adequate defense in such a situation,...

the good thing is the space is huge and mostly 'empty' so its buying us some (hopefully enough) time to get those defenses up and decentralize our habitats (p2p anyone )
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssssss68
    Forget prevention. We need a big-ass umbrella. Just put the umbrella up, and it'll block the asteroid. It'll also block out the sun and we'll die, but all actions have consequences.
    Thanks

Retired Seal
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss2079
    Quote Originally Posted by slikrapid View Post

....... but then again gravity also pulls nearby flying objects towards our system

all those space objects that landed on the moon could have easily landed on Earth too.....

Do you mean little pink aliens flying and landing with UFO's on the moon and crashing their monstrous alien spacecraft into big Jupitor while getting sucked in by some gravity storm that sucks the sperm-life right out of them??

LOL, c'mon that's funny.

oh, and ya. Stickbutt couldn't be more right.

We do need a big-ass umbrella that'll shield the sun's sunlight so that our skin will all eventually turn ghost-white again. Just as white when we were all born.
    As white as you'd like in fact.'

Tanning booths probably will become the norm.

Last edited by SealLion; 24.05.09 at 15:05.
    ordain them laws".

Thanks

P2P Client
    sbi finest
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss3125
    objects=meteors,asteroids,comets,....

We need a big-ass umbrella.
    we could also need a big-ass blower, just start huffing-puffing and blow those objects far away
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread