+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: osx86: Dual booting with windows on a normal machine.

yeah i know, but i was expecting stuff like "the printer won't print". Not being able to rotate a screen or having a white screen is not because it's misconfigured. That is something that should just work

That being said, windows 8.1 is basically an installation without configuration for me. I just install chrome and adblock afterwards and the machine is up and running.. Same with the lubuntu/ubuntu installs i did half a year ago.

I understand it's a hack, but how hard can it be to enable the rotate screen option or configure your screen so picture is actually showing.... Even after successfully installing needed drivers. Meh, I'll look into it again later, maybe I'm not seeing the obvious.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    That is something that should just work
    no, see below ...

That being said, windows 8.1 is basically an installation without configuration for me. I just install chrome and adblock afterwards and the machine is up and running.. Same with the lubuntu/ubuntu installs i did half a year ago.
    sure if you don't configure anything it's straight forward. not recommended at all of course. for both linux and especially windows.

I understand it's a hack, but how hard can it be to enable the rotate screen option or configure your screen so picture is actually showing.... Even after successfully installing needed drivers.
    going into detail there would kill the post length
    but if you're interested in more you could have a closer look at Quartz and OpenCL.

keep in mind that osx is not designed as a "work-with-anything" system unlike windows or linux but only for what apple sell which is one of the main reasons why it runs so well. many of the advantages proprietary systems have is because they have exactly that specialized support
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

3. Who Said Thanks:

Sazzy (22.07.14)

P2P Client
    transmission
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 12/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss125
    I've been following this thread and thinking about hackint0sh. If I ever get some free time (sorry, priorities, summer, work, family and sleep time) I might try, and I'll remember this thread and could make another.
    Application error: warning -> battery failure imminent ~ shutting down NOW permanent == message to Earth -- finalized shudown code ... 6ikf9849l+!~:'?.|\
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    not recommended at all of course. for both linux and especially windows.
    Like what? Default anti mallware/anti virus works well enough and is on by defult, and I usually turn that off because I just don't need it. I scan my 'puter every 6 months and I've been up and running over 15 years without a single infection. I've passed that stage as user where I'm smart enough to not click weird ads on weird sites... Honestly, I don't even visit those anymore anyway. The only real threat that remains is my email, and having a gmail (yeh i know, evil google, but having an android makes using google's services so nice) everything gets scanned anyway. i don't click links i receive and it prevents me from opening dodgy things, even if i know they're safe.

keep in mind that osx is not designed as a "work-with-anything" system unlike windows or linux but only for what apple sell which is one of the main reasons why it runs so well. many of the advantages proprietary systems have is because they have exactly that specialized support
    I know. But that's my point. I have the exact same hardware running as an actual mac. And it's not that it crashes when rotating or something, the option just isn't there. Having looked it up, I should press command+option while opening display apparently, but that doesn't work. For some weird reason, they've hidden the option to do it quite well since 10.8. As far as the resolution of my main monitor goes, apple does sell separate screens that run on the same configuration as mine. It's probably fixed after passing some boot flags, I just need to find them first.

Having said that, I totally understand where you are coming from and that I shouldn't expect it to run smooth from the start. Really, I don't. I feel like we're having some miss-communication here. It just really annoys me that i'm bumping into those things that _should_ be working (e.g. the monitor which in apples case is generic as well) rather than the stuff I'd expect not to be (e.g. sound, ethernet, boot loader, ...), which apparently are running just fine.

Anyway, like I said, I'll be looking into fixes first before I doom it into hell. (I just felt the need to complain about it first, seeing as the internet is full of posts saying how smooth and easy the distro's go.) I'll post my findings when I do. :)

Quote Originally Posted by tr-cht-fx-242p View Post
    I've been following this thread and thinking about hackint0sh. If I ever get some free time (sorry, priorities, summer, work, family and sleep time) I might try, and I'll remember this thread and could make another.
    Good luck! Don't forget to come back and post your findings :)
    Last edited by Sazzy; 22.07.14 at 02:01.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    ...i don't click links i receive and it prevents me from opening dodgy things, even if i know they're safe.
    sure if you have your way and it works for you then it's fine of course.

It just really annoys me that i'm bumping into those things that _should_ be working (e.g. the monitor which in apples case is generic as well) rather than the stuff I'd expect not to be (e.g. sound, ethernet, boot loader, ...), which apparently are running just fine.
    yeah you simply had slightly different expectations which is very common for most people unless they have deep insight into os mechanics.

the internet is full of posts saying how smooth and easy the distro's go
    sure for some everything works, for some others parts of it and so on. it can depend on tiny details which leads to the line above again.
    Thanks

Well, after working on it far more than i was originally planning, it seems my screen issue can only be resolved by hooking up the monitor through display port instead of dvi. since that is not an option for me, i'm rather annoyed. (and seriously don't understand why? mac pro's have dvi >.< )

So that alone is kind of a show stopper for me, unless i sell my best monitor :/

I got all the rest working just fine, though. Which is kinda cool.

yeah you simply had slightly different expectations which is very common for most people unless they have deep insight into os mechanics.
    yeah i know. i probably know more of the mechanics than you would believe, but that being said, i would just like to note again that I am coincidentally running the hardware that's being advised on osx86. That alone is the only reason why I was expecting a smooth install and why i am complaining so much about it.
    Thanks

Take a look at this article sazzy
    How to set your Hackintosh bootscreen to a widescreen resolution (VESA modes)

---------- Post Merged at 20:40 ---------- Previous Post was at 20:34 ----------

White screen issue :
    http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/345-ati-hd-7xxx-fix-white-screen/

---------- Post Merged at 20:53 ---------- Previous Post was at 20:34 ----------

Also this:
    http://www.hackintoshosx.com/topic/16243-new-install-hangs-at-white-apple-logo-screen/
    Thanks

9. Who Said Thanks:

Sazzy (26.07.14)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
    Awesome, thanks. Not gonna risk breaking my card over it, though. Flashing my card's bios with a manually edited one is just not worth it for me. Besides, the resolution actually shows up in the list when i go to display. It just won't stop painting all white unless i hook it up with a display port cable, which i don't want to do.

I had a similar issue on windows when i hooked it up the first time, accidentally hooking it to the dvi-d port. Since the bandwidth of this port is too small for 2560x1440, you can only attach it to the dvi-i port. However, my hackintosh doesn't seem to like this port! Loves display port, though!

Found it before, tried it before, no worky for me :(
    Perhaps only useful for hd7xxx series? I have a hd6xxx.

Was not an issue for me. It actually boots up, thus gets far passed this screen.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 26.07.14 at 00:32.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    I am coincidentally running the hardware that's being advised on osx86.
    is it exactly the same or just the same model? for example an ati 6xxx is available from many brands and with different vram sizes and maybe even in different revisions
    Thanks

don't know about the brand, but it was the same model with the same vram. other than that, brands usually just swap out coolers from the stock card so i doubt it something else was different.
    Again, the card worked fine. It's osx86 that required the usage of display port for that kind of monitor, which is silly.
    Last edited by Sazzy; 27.07.14 at 12:20.
    Thanks

So, what did you do ?
    Uninstall it or going forward with another monitor ?
    Thanks

So, what did you do ?
    Uninstall it or going forward with another monitor ?
    it's a 500 euro monitor. Uninstalled
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    don't know about the brand, but it was the same model with the same vram. other than that, brands usually just swap out coolers from the stock card so i doubt it something else was different.
    if it's not the same card it's different. only tiny details but they can be the decider. i remember that ati cards from sapphire for example were very compatible while the same model from other brands had issüs.
    Thanks

if it's not the same card it's different. only tiny details but they can be the decider. i remember that ati cards from sapphire for example were very compatible while the same model from other brands had issues.
    care to explain what exactly is different then? I believe that one card might work better, but it's just not logical. they use the same chipsets after all. companies generally don't do all that much with the stock card they get from amd.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6661
    care to explain what exactly is different then? I believe that one card might work better, but it's just not logical
    it is, a tiny difference can change the way it's recognized by the kernel which then has further ramifications
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast