VEM
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss1620

Bittorrent Sync vs Syncthing

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if I'm comparing an orange with an apple

Do you have any experience with this cloud alternatives?

BitTorrent Sync

Syncthing
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

2. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (20.09.14)

Syncthing is open-source while Bittorrent Sync is not. This will make a valid point in trusting the app.
    I like the ideea of a cloud-less synching application while the only downside is that one PC, the server, must always be only to sync from. Most people cannot achieve that, including myself.
    Thanks

4. Who Said Thanks:

Blocker (22.09.14)

Truecrypt is open source too but it's not trustable anymore it seems. (even said by the devs on the project). Ever since the NSA thing, devs have been talking about redo-ing truecrypt and starting fresh (thus not forking the current repo)

Honestly, they both seem valid. The sucky part of BT is that you might have to store other peoples data too. (since it's bt) Or am I mistaking?

A cloudless sync is not very useful though, imho. A single point of failure is not a very useful backup. If your house burns down, you'll still lose all that important data.

If you really want to set something up yourself, try having a look at ownCloud as well :)
    Last edited by Sazzy; 21.09.14 at 14:30.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

6. Who Said Thanks:

Blocker (22.09.14)

Syncthing is a very complex piece of software and it may become the best if devs stick to it.
    First problem: it is very very slow. A sync between computer and laptop, the indexing of files, take approx 5 hours. I had 100.000 files with HDD activity going haywire.
    If they won't fix this soon, nobody will use it. What if I had 1.000.000 files??
    Thanks

8. Who Said Thanks:

tr-cht-fx-242p (24.09.14) , Blocker (23.09.14)

P2P Client
    VEM
    Activity Longevity
    6/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss1620
    If I'm not mistaken from what i read in their forum, large repositories are slow because Synchthing build and index on each machine, but seems like they are fixing the issues https://discourse.syncthing.net/t/la...e-issues/258/3
    Last edited by Blocker; 23.09.14 at 23:02.
    Thanks

Which is why it has lots of potential. Normal sync programs (freefilesync for instance) never make this kind of index, they just make a small database containing the path of all files and the time they were edited/created.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 23.09.14 at 23:20.
    Thanks

11. Who Said Thanks:

Blocker (23.09.14)

Does it delta sync? This is a major issue for me as I have some truecrypt containers in my dropbox. Since dropbox delta syncs, it doesn't upload the full container each time. (so it might upload a few gigabytes if you add a word in 1 txt file)
    Thanks

Read this https://www.syncplicity.com/blog/why...doesn-t-matter
    That article is correct AFAIK, this only helps for uncompressed data. Keepass, truecrypt and any other type of databases are compressed data (even when they are not). Say you change a text file within truecrypt, the container gets saved, re-encrypted, compressed and the whole file gets changed --it will have to be transferred again, not just the changed bits.

As to your question, yes it supports delta.
    Thanks

14. Who Said Thanks:

Sazzy (24.09.14)

Yes, I'm aware what delta sync is and its flaws, thank you. :)
    Dropbox doesn't sync the entire truecrypt container. It only transfers a few kbs each save. I would've noticed a gigabyte upload a day on my capped line. Same goes for all the other big items in my folder.

But thanks for answering :)
    Last edited by Sazzy; 24.09.14 at 21:28.
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread