Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things aren't as easy as they appear

Activity Longevity
    15/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss33835

Unhappy Things aren't as easy as they appear

Two days ago, our sysop installed Faronics' Anti-Executable in all the computers, because he was tired of guys entering the room just to play CS. (On a sidenote, my school is getting quite restrictive this year - this, most good sites are blocked, Facebook is blocked locally, not that I care, etc., while it was very relaxed on 2006-07. Best years ever )

Turns out that app works the following way: when installed, it makes a baseline of all programs present in all disks, makes an unique hash, and whitelists them. Then, no foreign new EXEs are allowed to run, unless manually approved. Needless to say, the AE control panel is password-protected, and I do not have the password.

Yesterday afternoon, I thought of checking whether I could defeat AE with a very blunt and obvious method - boot from a live CD to evade it and DF, delete it from Program Files and its registry entries, and reboot.

Around 7 hours ago, I did that. After taking the disc out of the drive and booting into XP, the login screen appeared. I grabbed the mouse to click on "Student" and resume posting. The cursor didn't move. Using the keyboard didn't work, either. I pretty much rendered the computer unusable.

Tomorrow, I plan to do the following:
    • taking a MicroXP CD to school
    • saying I have no idea of what happened, and that the PC was working just fine when I left it
    • offering to reinstall Windows and the necessary drivers on the stunned computer (yes, doesn't this make it obvious)

Good thing is, MicroXP should make the computer even faster than it already was. Bad thing is, all other PCs are taken, so as long as mine has to be "offline" during the install process this is the crap I have left to work with:

"Come visit sometime, okay? We'll always be here for you. We... we all love you."
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    5/20 16/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss6556
    Quote Originally Posted by anon View Post
    Two days ago, our sysop installed Faronics' Anti-Executable in all the computers, because he was tired of guys entering the room just to play CS.
    small off-topic sidenote:

unlike in the tracker-world a sysop is not the "boss" normally but the admin cause he dös administrate and an (sysop)erator dös "only" operate.

if you know that and used it on purpose just ignore this post
    Your account has been disabled.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    I will say that you are screwed, even if you manage to bypass that program!Good old Argentinian education budget
    Haven't you got a free netbook? I thought they were given to all the Province's Public Schools.

PS: what an artist you are! XD
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1003
    Wowowowowow....

That drawing you made just made my day....

One of the most endearing things I've seen on this board till date...

The uneven lines,the out-of-whack borders,the different monitor screenshots...Loved it all...
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Bash shell
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss462
    Do they have a restore point to this?
    What if you take out the Hard Drive, install at home at your own leisure, then bring it back?
    Swap drives with one of the crappy computers?
    Boot on linux from a USB?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    15/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss33835
    Quote Originally Posted by Instab View Post
    small off-topic sidenote:

unlike in the tracker-world a sysop is not the "boss" normally but the admin cause he does administrate and an (sysop)erator does "only" operate.
    Oh, then I'm almost the admin - the guy has to ask me how to do stuff like building a LAN or burning DVDs, and then applies his newly acquired knowledge. Even installing the AE was technically my idea, he asked how to prevent guys from playing CS and I told him to google "anti-exe".

If with "operate" you mean turning the lights on or buying coffee, then he's a sysop indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by desodorante View Post
    I will say that you are screwed, even if you manage to bypass that program!Good old Argentinian education budget
    Turns out someone reinstalled a fresh OS. The computer's working now, but it doesn't have drivers or anything. I'll just wipe that, install MicroXP, the appropriate drivers, and enjoy a blazing fast PC afterwards.

Haven't you got a free netbook? I thought they were given to all the Province's Public Schools.
    I'm supposed to get it these days. It looks like a quite good one, with a 1.66Ghz Intel Atom and 2GB of RAM.

PS: what an artist you are! XD
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
    That drawing you made just made my day....

One of the most endearing things I've seen on this board till date...

The uneven lines,the out-of-whack borders,the different monitor screenshots...Loved it all...
    Thank you, I've never been good at drawing, but I think that's precisely what makes the pic awesome. If you look better, I just copied and pasted the first computer to make the third oen.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Do they have a restore point to this?
    What if you take out the Hard Drive, install at home at your own leisure, then bring it back?
    Swap drives with one of the crappy computers?
    Boot on linux from a USB?
    • Absolutely not, System Restore was disabled.
    • They'll think I'm trying to steal the HDD, and I'm not in the mood to open my home PC case.
    • Same as above.
    • That's more or less than booting off the ERD 2007 CD, but it doesn't fix it for good.
    "Come visit sometime, okay? We'll always be here for you. We... we all love you."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    15/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss33835
    So, here's how this story ends. The fresh XP install they were setting up in my PC was already infected, as I found out by running APT. So I proposed to install MicroXP, and around two hours later, the computer was already working crap-free and blazing fast.

Remember the awfully slow PC with the damaged monitor, also? I swapped the monitor for a smaller but working one, and did the same as with the other computer. Now it's usable and works much faster. MicroXP can really breath new life into old equipment, and since we don't need any of the stuff eXPer1ence removed from it, it's a win-win.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    So, here's how this story ends. The fresh XP install they were setting up in my PC was already infected, as I found out by running APT. So I proposed to install MicroXP, and around two hours later, the computer was already working crap-free and blazing fast.

Remember the awfully slow PC with the damaged monitor, also? I swapped the monitor for a smaller but working one, and did the same as with the other computer. Now it's usable and works much faster. MicroXP can really breath new life into old equipment, and since we don't need any of the stuff eXPer1ence removed from it, it's a win-win.
    Nice to hear that!
    About the netbooks: they are very cool netbooks in deed, check it out!:

Exo Classmate
    Model: Exomate 352
    10.1 inches
    Intel Atom N450 1,66 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    Windows XP / Linux
    160 GB
    Ethernet/Wi-Fi
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    15/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss33835
    Mine's supposed to have 2GB of RAM and almost twice as much HDD space... fingers crossed!
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 14/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss113
    intel atom is better then the latest i series???
    i am planning to purchase one for myself since my current notebook has gone old
    Thanks

P2P Client
    uTorrent
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss402
    Mine's supposed to have 2GB of RAM and almost twice as much HDD space... fingers crossed!
    They know it's for anon, that's why it has 2GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by hessler View Post
    intel atom is better then the latest i series???
    there's a big difference between the two. Intel Core i series is no comparison for atom.
    Last edited by caballero; 22.10.10 at 13:36.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    SBI Toxic
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss266
    Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    LOL. Maybe anon is with the gobernment!
    Anon, Should we call you Kanon from now on? LOL

there's a big difference between the two. Intel Core i series is no comparison for atom.
    That was a bit vague.
    hessler, Atom is a single core, 1.6-1.66 Ghz processor, while i3,i5 and i7 range from 2 to 4 (or 6?) cores and start around 2.0ghz each.
    An Atom based PC/notebook/netbook will give a performance similar to a Pentium 4 2.4-2.6
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    15/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss33835
    Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by desodorante View Post
    An Atom based PC/notebook/netbook will give a performance similar to a Pentium 4 2.4-2.6
    All I care about is that it'll be even better than my current desktop PC.
    Thanks

P2P Client
    utorrent 1.8
    Activity Longevity
    0/20 17/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 ssssss278
    Amazed to hear that Argentina provides Netbook to schools. You guys are lucky. Here in India , the government provides free mid-day meals to schools .

PS: Is there any faster/lighter version than MicroXp ?
    Last edited by kelly; 23.10.10 at 09:27.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    15/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss33835
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Amazed to hear that Argentina provides Netbook to schools. You guys are lucky. Here in India , the government provides free mid-day meals to schools .
    Weren't you guys going to have $35 tablets? Or so I've read...

PS: Is there any faster/lighter version than MicroXp ?
    None that I know of, it's the lightest and fastest readily-available custom XP out there.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast