Page 223 of 224 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224 LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,345 of 3356

Thread: The Chat/Spam Thread

Activity Longevity
    10/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss1514
    Not me, I welcome death, or in slik terms: I welcome the next phase of my eternal being.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain.
    ... and since I can remember, I've always been different that others, and I've never been on the majority side.
    I am the one and only Master Razor... lost in a world of billions of people.
    Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    10/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss1514
    @anon
    This only applies to APM (-B parameter), right? Not Acoustic or Standy.

Tried this on toshiba and does nothing, head still parking
    hdparm -B 254 -S 0 -M 254 /dev/sdd
    /dev/sdd:
    setting Advanced Power Management level to 0xfe (254)
    setting acoustic management to 254
    HDIO_DRIVE_CMD:ACOUSTIC failed: Input/output error
    setting standby to 0 (off)
    APM_level = 254
    acoustic = not supported
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain.
    ... and since I can remember, I've always been different that others, and I've never been on the majority side.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    10/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss1514
    Also, correct me if I am wrong but I just remember something. I used to use this command back in the day (2005) and I was required to add these commands on boot because on every reboot the setting would rever to default. Now, I tested them and remembered why..
    On my WD and Toshiba drives, the AAM and APM rever to 128, on every boot.
    I never had WD Green drives so i don't know if it will be the same for yoco. Just a heads up.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    15/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss33835
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Razor View Post
    @anon
    This only applies to APM (-B parameter), right? Not Acoustic or Standy.

Tried this on toshiba and does nothing, head still parking
    Yes, it's only for APM. AAM already maxes out at 254 and the standby timeout is given in seconds.

Do the heads still park if you write to the disk once every 60 seconds? I thought that would only be necessary on external drives, but...

Also, correct me if I am wrong but I just remember something. I used to use this command back in the day (2005) and I was required to add these commands on boot because on every reboot the setting would rever to default.
    I totally forgot about this. I made an scheduled task to run hdparm every time my computer starts or resumes from standby/hibernation, but quietHDD can also do it.

For external drives, you'll probably want to install HDDScan, write a script that uses it to disable APM, and run it as soon as the volume is mounted.
    "Come visit sometime, okay? We'll always be here for you. We... we all love you."
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    10/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss1514
    Do the heads still park if you write to the disk once every 60 seconds? I thought that would only be necessary on external drives, but...
    It's not 60 seconds. It's more like 5 seconds of innactivity, tops. Never seen anything like this before.

What about external drives? Are you saying that SATA has a different innactivity timeout than USB drives (ie, internal vs external)?
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    15/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss33835
    What about external drives? Are you saying that SATA has a different innactivity timeout than USB drives (ie, internal vs external)?
    Just to clarify, SATA does have its own set of power saving features called DIPM/HIPM, but they largely involve putting the interface to sleep and have no relation to what we're talking about. (Interested in knowing more? Check the attached whitepaper.)

With that said, on a "normal" setup, there's only two things to consider: power saving measures taken by the disk itself depending on its APM/AAM/standby value, and the operating system's spin down timer ("Turn off hard disks after X minutes of inactivity"), which is independent from the disk's. However, the internal USB-to-SATA adapter that makes a disk portable in the first place adds another layer to that, by possibly implementing its own timers/rules for parking the heads or spinning down, which are independent from the OS and the disk, and usually cannot be controlled at all.

Seagate is the only brand I've seen that doesn't include any of those "power saving" anti-features. I set APM to FFh on my Seagate Expansion Portable just in case, but I think even that isn't necessary.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Come visit sometime, okay? We'll always be here for you. We... we all love you."
    Thanks

7. Who Said Thanks:

Master Razor (04.12.17)

P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7093
    Would you say Seagate is better choice over WB for backup external drives (4-6TB)
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    10/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss1514
    @anon
    I'm not very proficient with bash and just started learning. I Windows, I create a script to search and find a file on all drives. If the file was found, write something on the drive every 60 sec. I need something like this for linux, in bash.

From what I understand so far, linux mouts in /mnt all drives that are listed in fstab, but do not know where it mounts if you click on the drives, in file manager. The script should check /mnt as well as the other folders for this file.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    15/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss33835
    Quote Originally Posted by yoco View Post
    Would you say Seagate is better choice over WB for backup external drives (4-6TB)
    I'd say it's a better choice overall In my case, I bought the disk while it was at a discount (a real discount) and cheaper than everything else, although I would have chosen to buy another brand and use an anti-inactivity script (which is an okay workaround) if the price difference had been significant.

I'm not very proficient with bash
    Neither am I

I'm in a rush right now so I can't write a full script, but here are some pointers.

mount: running this with no parameters shows everything that's mounted right now with its corresponding mount points, filesystem type and options.
    grep and cut: will help you parse that output.
    find: finds files based on the parameters given and prints their paths.
    $(command) gets replaced with the output of that command.

A simple 60-second loop would look like this.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    FILE=/home/user/whatever.txt
    while : ; do (
    echo Some text > $FILE
    sleep 60
    )
    done
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    10/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss1514
    I'm pushing the PANIC BUTTON!!!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    15/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    1/5 ssss33835
    I'm pushing the PANIC BUTTON!!!
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    10/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss1514
    I just saw a video of Starcraft Remastered and its awesome! I guess it will never be cracked because from what i understanbd it needs to be online and connected to batlle.net . The only game I would've played and it's not available.
    Last edited by Master Razor; 08.12.17 at 23:13.
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    1/20 15/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss1680
    though i guess a game like that is worth the money.
    g̺̗͙̺l̜̜i͖̦͇̙t͕̲̜c͇̮͕̺̩͎̰̜h͕̦̘
    Thanks

P2P Client
    Azureus
    Activity Longevity
    11/20 19/20
    Today Posts
    0/5 sssss7093
    I still own first Starcraft game
    Remember when I played online with my school friends! Such awesome experience
    Thanks

Activity Longevity
    10/20 18/20
    Today Posts
    2/5 sssss1514
    I have a weird problem with my yahoo email account. I've changed the password last week, and sice then I can no longer send mails from any of my email clients. Incomming server/IMAP works but not Outgoing/SMTP. Always says either server rejected attempt or username/password incorrect.
    Obviously, if the password was bad it shouldn't worked for IMAP, but is does work, as I receive mails just fine, I just cannot send. This happens on all my clients, thunderbird, outlook, evolution, k-9...

I've checked on yahoo settings, and I've enabled Allow less secure apps and Disabled Two-Step Authentication. If anyone knows anything in regards to this issue please help.
    Thanks