PDA

View Full Version : Music Torrents Not Seeding Properly? Blame iTunes

shoulder
14.03.09, 21:52
iTunes just isn’t torrent-friendly. Importing or playing back your music files directly from a seeding torrent into a media player that alters ID3 tags or metadata can cause them to stop seeding. If otherwise healthy torrents are now getting stuck anywhere from 91-99% (or worse, at 0%), prompting you to redownload the files - most likely the culprit is iTunes. Even if you didn’t manually change the properties or tags on an MP3 file, iTunes may happen to be set up to do this automatically, thus altering the files and causing tracker seeding errors.Read More (http://filesharefreak.com/2009/03/14/music-torrents-not-seeding-properly-blame-itunes/)

I would like to know if this happens or have happened to you, since I never had such an issue.

So, did that happen to you once or even several times?

anon
14.03.09, 21:57
It never happened to me, but I don't use iTunes or WMP. Anyway, it's logical that altering the files' tags will change their hash, making it impossible to seed them if/when your BitTorrent client realises this.

Maybe setting them to read-only can work around the problem...

shoulder
14.03.09, 22:10
For sure it's logical, to be picky it's even another file which just matches the other in some parts. :wink2:

I'm just curios if this happened to anyone.
Maybe it did and the one didn't know the reason till now. :tongue:

SealLion
14.03.09, 22:25
are you guys talking about itune.ro or a different tracker??

anon
14.03.09, 22:25
No - the Apple software. :tongue:

Lokare
17.03.09, 05:54
Maybe setting them to read-only can work around the problem...

Yup! Setting them to read-only will definitely work.

But if you plan on using iTunes long term then I'd use sharky's way (FileShareFreak).

iTunes sucks anyway.

:smile: