PDA

View Full Version : UDP datagram

Gravale
09.03.09, 00:34
I frequently get the following or similiar pop-ups on my screen when file-sharing. Should I generally permit or deny such access to my computer?

"Someone from ----------[192.168.1.2], port 6771 wants to send UDP datagram to port 6771 owned by 'µTorrent' on your computer

Details about aplication: c:\program files\utorrent\utorrent.exe"

Thank you for your help!

SealLion
09.03.09, 01:46
Hi Gravale.

apparantly, from what I understand, the tcp and udp ports are not necessarily the same.

though, they can be the same. Its confusing a bit.

apparantly, one needs to open a port for both the TCP/UDP ports in the router and Win firewall.

Have a look here at this link:

forum.utorrent.com / Utorrent and UDP (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=54933)

There are some other links that I came across when I did a search on uT's forums. The links that I got when I did a UDP search were the following:

forum.utorrent.com / Info (http://forum.utorrent.com/search.php?search_id=635014077)

Hope this helps.

Sorry, I'd know more but I don't use a router. I"ve got this crappy laptop that's just waiting to croke and roll-over.

Now if anon gets here and corrects me over the info that I"ve got. Well, he might know more. He's a pretty smart guy, you know.

anon
09.03.09, 16:12
Someone from ----------[192.168.1.2], port 6771 wants to send UDP datagram to port 6771 owned by 'µTorrent' on your computer

Is 192.168.1.2 your LAN IP?

I'd say you try disabling UPnP, NAT-PMP and Local Peer Discovery in uTorrent first, and check if the problem disappears.

hontoCorti
15.03.09, 12:11
Does some clients use udp also? I have opened my firewall for both since i got connects with both protocols on the same port...

SealLion
15.03.09, 15:04
anon: Do you think it wise to EDIT the LAN IP in the post above you. There's info there that shouldn't really be inside that post if you understand my meaning.

...and honto: UDP are one of the ports that are important to TCP/IP, intraneting, and the Internet itself, yes??

But they also create some security hazards because they allow uninvited access to your computer.

You see, bitTorrenting uses TCP as its transport protocol. So you see, the well known TCP port for BitTorrent traffic is anywhere from 6881-6889 (and 6969 for the tracker port).

The DHT extension (P2P tracker) uses various UDP ports which are negotiated by the peers.

So, I would say, 'Yes'.

Here's an example that I found on the web for Azureus:

It (Azueus) uses the UDP protocol, if you have a firewall/router, you will need to open/forward the UDP port in the same way you did with TCP to download data.

Here's the link for it:

Azureus, now called Vuze : Java BitTorrent Client - What's new (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/whatsnew.php)

Do a 'Find' in your browser for 'UDP', and you'll be able to read the selection that I"ve pointed out.

anon
15.03.09, 18:01
Does some clients use udp also?

Yes. UDP is used for DHT, apart from the new uTP (UDP torrenting protocol). Azureus can also establish UDP connections, and has a checkbox to make the client prefer them.

@SealLion: I don't think so... there's no real way a LAN IP can be traced to you.