PDA

View Full Version : Folder Size

anon
26.01.09, 18:53
What does it do?

Folder Size for Windows adds a new column to the Details view in Windows Explorer. The new column shows not only the size of files, but also the size of folders. It keeps track of which folders you view, and scans them in the background so you can see complete size of all files within the folder. It's very useful for cleaning up your disk. Once you get used to having that information available, a directory listing simply looks incomplete without it!

Features

Don't switch to another program to see folder sizes. It's always there when you're viewing your folders (even in Open and Save file dialog boxes, you can change the view), and it's a great visual cue to help you find the one you're looking for. Not just for disk cleanup, but for any time you need to choose a folder.

No scanning phase before you can start. As soon as you display the Folder Size column, you'll see sizes immediately. Large folders will continue to scan in the background while you browse your folders.

Explorer will automatically update the folder size column in real-time. No more manual rescanning.

Background scans won't monopolize your disk. When Folder Size detects that other programs are doing a lot of reading to and writing from the hard disk being scanned, the background scanning will wait for the other programs to finish.

If you don't show the Folder Size column for a while, it won't forget what it's already scanned, but the background scanner doesn't stay active. It won't waste any CPU time maintaining the cache on your P2P sharing or gaming machine that's always changing files.

If your version of Windows is one of the following languages, Folder Size will also display in that language.

Download (http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/)

Screenshot:
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7254/foldersizeoe0.gif

Note: installs a service (FolderSizeSvc.exe).

hitman
26.01.09, 21:11
ok anon i installed this little app and its amazing. you can now directly see the filesize of the folders especially for the windows partition it should be usefull to see where windows wasted filesize.

great app :top:

anon
26.01.09, 21:15
Glad you liked it. :smile:

I thought the same about space wasters too. If you do a search for all files that are at least 10000KB in your drive and sort results by folder size, it's easier to know what's using the biggest chunks of drive space. Oh and I also can now know how big my sandbox is without pressing Alt+Enter :tongue:

hitman
26.01.09, 22:02
another good point is that its saving the calculated file size of the folder and it doesnt scan them on every open only if something is changing. quite sweet this should be in winxp since day one it gives you a better overview of the files and folders stored on your harddrive

Aurion
27.01.09, 02:45
Installed it & working like a charm over here .... it also traced some old files that were formerly deleted off my partitions due to OS reinstall or format ... so it's quite awesome to trace tiny files in the hidden bag :biggrin:

anon
27.01.09, 16:28
it also traced some old files that were formerly deleted off my partitions due to OS reinstall or format ...

I have to see that. Can you please post a screen? :biggrin:

I was stupid enough to hard delete my whole SteamApps folder a few days ago, and had to use WinHex to recover it, then validate the GCFs... having used this tool would have been much easier, then :top: