PDA

View Full Version : uTorrent kills my connection

zeroc00l
04.01.09, 16:13
Hi,
If my uTorrent is downloading sth then it's quite impossible to surf in web. For example msn works perfectly, but webpages open extremely slow. And it doesn't depend on uTorrent download speed, it may be 1kb/s and still I can't surf normally in web.

hitman
04.01.09, 16:27
how many max connection did you set? you should never set more then 80% of your upload limit if you want to surf

zeroc00l
04.01.09, 16:34
Global maximium number of connections is set to 400, should I decrease it? Max number of connected peers per torrent is 100.

anon
04.01.09, 16:48
Try lowering them to 200 and 40, respectively, specially if you're behind a router.

hitman
04.01.09, 16:54
if it still doesnt work maybe 100 for global connections

il could maybe be the windows connection limit

zeroc00l
04.01.09, 16:57
Thank You guys! I can surf normally with 200/40 option. But will it lessen the chance to get max download speed with uTorrent?

hitman
04.01.09, 17:06
it depends on the peers that you are connected. you can even have with only one peer connected full speed. usually i have never more as 100 connections for one torrent and have full speed.

anon
04.01.09, 17:10
@zeroc00l: That's right - if you have not patched your TCPIP.SYS but set net.max_halfopen higher than 8, your connection dies (even if you're not behind a router).

Also, since upload slots control how many people you can upload at the same time (per torrent), you could simply be saturating your upload, as they stack up. Reduce the amount of slots at Options -> Preferences -> Bandwidth, run just 1 or 2 torrents at the same time. Well, seems it's been solved :biggrin:

It depends. Connections with higher bandwidth are usually kinda "allowed" to have more open connections at the same time, since they can take the hit, but 200/40 should be fine, since in the end it all depends on who you're connected to - I once got 300kB/s from a single connection. (Must have been a seedbox)

To be sure, do the "Ubuntu test": close all running net apps, stop all torrents, and start downloading this one (http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso.torrent). If you can max out your line, it means everything's OK.

And if you're behind a router, consider a global maximum of 255 connections your guideline. Some routers can take more, some less. Refer to the documentation and manual to know this.

But hitman summarized this whole post in two lines :biggrin:

zeroc00l
05.01.09, 00:00
Thanks guys, connection is now stabile and uTorrent speeds are appropriate to my connection bandwidth. Besides I'am smarter too ;D

GGGonk
05.01.09, 10:35
If problems arise again (like you're downloading at the highest speeds available to you), you can temporarily throttle your max download and upload. Upload speeds take a surprising toll on the average connection.

Aurion
11.01.09, 02:11
as the guys said,just limit your global connections value to reasonable one so you can have enough bytes to surf!

anon
11.01.09, 17:05
He's already solved the problem :biggrin: