PDA

View Full Version : open partial .7z files?

pi_1st
29.12.08, 12:57
is there a way to open incomplete .7z archives?

7z manager just barks at that kind of files

oftentimes i only want to see the checksums inside the archives and clearly downloading the whole multi-gigabytes files is out of the question

anon
29.12.08, 18:02
is there a way to open incomplete .7z archives?

With "incomplete", do you mean having just 1 part of a split archive, or having downloaded just the first few KB/MB of a single one?

In the first case, it's not possible, and a limitation of the 7-Zip archive format:

7z cannot extract "broken files" - that is (for example) if one has the first segment of a series of 7z files, 7z cannot give you the start of the files within the archive - it must wait until ALL segments are downloaded. WinZip has the same limitation.

In the second case, I think it isn't possible, either.

pi_1st
29.12.08, 21:02
yeah, i mean the latter.
for rar and zip it can. i usually only have to download about 10KB to able to see the whole crc values. too bad..

and other thing, could you find the offset address for a broken rar achives without a recovery record? it's very helpfull if you don't want to download the whole things

anon
29.12.08, 21:14
and other thing, could you find the offset address for a broken rar achives without a recovery record? it's very helpfull if you don't want to download the whole things

Offset address?

If your intention is to repair a RAR you can try the countless RAR repair tools around the Web...

pi_1st
29.12.08, 21:30
naah, all that repair tools are useless if the archives doesn't have recovery record on them.

what i mean is, for example if i have one good rar file, then one single byte at offset address xxxx in the file got screwed, is it possible to locate that offset address.

i am manage to find the address around that corrupted bytes when the file is zip archives. i just grab, redownload, enough bytes around that area and inserted it to the broken zip archives to replace the corresponding bytes and it will work like a charm.

anon
29.12.08, 21:35
what i mean is, for example if i have one good rar file, then one single byte at offset address xxxx in the file got screwed, is it possible to locate that offset address.

i am manage to find the address around that corrupted bytes when the file is zip archives. i just grab, redownload, enough bytes around that area and inserted it to the broken zip archives to replace the corresponding bytes and it will work like a charm.

I have found something that sounds exactly like what you mentioned...
RAR recovering - Case 2 (http://riepersnest.tripod.com/rar/step2.htm)
RAR recovering - Case 3 (http://riepersnest.tripod.com/rar/step3.htm)

pi_1st
29.12.08, 21:51
yes, i have read that article before
but that article method only usefull with archives that have recovery records in them

thanks anyway :)

u really live here don't u haha

anon
29.12.08, 22:06
yes, i have read that article before
but that article method only usefull with archives that have recovery records in them

thanks anyway :)

That's too bad :redface:

But no problem :smile:

u really live here don't u haha

Yes, I do :wink: