PDA

View Full Version : How to join What.CD

Se7Ven
17.12.08, 14:31
How to join What.CD
1. Getting an invite:

Potential users should never ever look for invites from a third party, namely invite sites. ONLY get invites from members of what.cd or from passing the interview. While this may not stop what happened recently to fellow members, it may prevent you from experiencing the joy of getting in only to be banned almost immediately.

2. The interview:

To join What.CD you have to keep a good upload/download ratio or you will get banned pretty quickly. So only try to join What.CD if you are serious about keeping a good upload/download ratio and just not going to join just to download as much as possible and not upload anything.
To join follow these steps:
First you need to download an IRC client if you haven't already got one. I recommend mIRC an easy to use free IRC client, which is downloadable here mIRC: Internet Relay Chat client (http://www.mirc.com).
When installed and ready to go. You need to join the What.CD IRC server which is irc.what-network.net Port 6667. Once you have connected you got to join the channel #what.cd-invites
DO NOT GO TO ANOTHER CHANNEL AND ASK FOR AN INVITE, YOU WILL BE BANNED FROM THE CHANNEL OR IGNORED
When in the channel read the instructions that are given. Type !queue into the channel and you will be added to the waiting list to be interviewed for an invite. Please be patient waiting in the queue can take up to 4 hours or even longer. This is where you got to be one of them people that really want an invite as you could get an invited to the interview at anytime so you really need to stay at your computer watching to screen.
When you get invited to an interview room you will be asked a few question about yourself, how much you know about music e.g. do you know what a FLAC file is? And you might need to provide and image of your upload/download ratio of other private Bittorrent sites. So before you go to an interview room be sure to have a speedtest.net result ready.
Don't be nervous when answering the questions.
If they accept you and are willing to give you an invite they will ask for your email address and then they will send you an invite. So just go to you inbox and you will see an invite. From there on it is easy street as you just got to sign up and you're in.
Please be aware that they might not give you an invite for many reasons. So don't be too disappointed if you don't get an invite. You can try again, but the interviewers might get tired of you if you show no signs of improvement.
Good luck.
And remember to keep up a good upload/download ratio

Some important links:
what.cd intro (http://sdbx.nl/whatintro.html)
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Transcoding
LAME - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase (http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lame)
http://jiggafellz.isa-geek.net/jigga...ct-audio-copy/

That's pasted in from another thread. This is me speaking:

1) Using a proxy/BNC/whatever to hide your IP is NOT allowed. If found you will be banned and not be given a second chance.
2) Read the channel topic and post a Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net) result. Do NOT fake this one, you will be caught, banned and not given a second chance.
3) Be polite and patient. People asking how long they have to wait repeatedly is not exactly encouraging, neither is ungrateful users. As there is a LOT of users flowing through the channel every day the tolerance is not exactly high.
4) Study up! Don't come to the interview unprepared, you will NOT pass the interview, read the guides mentioned in this thread, it is not hard.
5) Don't cheat! If we find out you're copy/pasting answers or similar you will get banned and not given a second chance.
6) Try again. If you fail the interview yet have shown some proof of knowledge you may try again no sooner than 48 hours from the end of the interview, but for the love of god, DO study. Don't just try again without reading up on the question you failed, you will not be given more chances if you're unwilling to read/improve.
7) If you DO pass the interview, make sure you read all the rules and especially the ratio requirements before you do anything at all. You're only allowed 1 account per user per lifetime, so take good care of it.
Unfortunately some users just can't follow the rules, so we've had to ban several IP-Ranges because of abuse (traders, cheaters, sellers etc.). If your IP is banned there is no way in for you via the invite-channel.

this is from the Administrator there

and i think at will be help a lot of people to be a part of this great Community

please dont CHEAT there and dont SELL invites

best regrads :top:

anon
17.12.08, 16:58
Thanks, I'm sure a lot of people will find this useful. :top:

These two links are broken:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....le=Transcoding
http://jiggafellz.isa-geek.net/jigga...ct-audio-copy/

I think these are the correct ones:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Transcoding
http://jiggafellz.isa-geek.net/jiggafellz-step-by-step-guide-to-secure-cd-ripping-with-exact-audio-copy/

Also, I have copies of three different interviews that have been done on the IRC channel, just in case someone finds them helpful. :wink: Here they are:

1. Why are you interested in becoming a What member?
2. How often do you plan on using the site?
3. What kind of internet connection do you have? Do a Speedtest at www.speedtest.net & paste the link here.
4. Are you a member of any other private trackers? Post your stats here.
5. How much experience do you have creating & uploading torrents? Which BT client do you use?
7. How big is your music/cd collection? What bitrates/formats? Where did you get your collection?
8. What application do you usually use to rip CDs & how many you have (estimate)?
9. What is the difference between a lossy & a lossless audio codec? Give some examples of each.
10. What are VBR & CBR? Out of following pick the highest standard LAME mp3 bitrate: 192, V0, V2, 320, V4, 512?
11. What is transcoding, in terms of audio?
12. Will these transcodes give the same result as if they were done straight from an original cd? "YES" or "NO" for each one please.
a. 320 -> 192
b. V2 -> 192
c. 256 -> 256
d. 256 -> 320
e. wma -> mp3
f. FLAC -> mp3
g. mp3 -> Audio CD -> mp3
h. mp3 -> Audio CD -> FLAC

If no more than one lossless to lossy encoding is permitted which of these transcodes are/is generally acceptable? Give only a YES or NO for each specified example.
a. CDDA->WAV->CBR
b. 320->WAV(PCM)->FLAC
c. MP3->WMA->AAC
d. AAC->MP3->ALAC
e. FLAC->APE->WAV(PCM)
f. APE->FLAC->APE
g. FLAC->WAV(PCM)->CDDA
h. WAV(PCM)->ALAC->AAC
i. MP3->APE->FLAC
j. V0->CBR->WAV(PCM)
k. CDDA->WAV(PCM)->MP3
l. V2->V1->V3
m. V0->WAV(PCM)->CDDA

1. How often will you use the site?
2. How long will you seed for daily, and how long in total?
3. What is the concept of maintaing a ratio?
4. Will you be able to maintain an acceptable ratio on What.cd? Can you prove to me that you have been able to do this on other private bittorrent sites?
5. Explain how lossy and lossless audio codecs are different. Give three examples of each.
6. What is CBR & VBR? How are they different? Explain.
7. What is v0?
8. What is the highest possible mp3 bitrate?
9. Give examples of methods that could be used to prove an audio file is actually the type of format/bitrate advertised.
10. Define transcoding - In terms of audio. Is it good or bad, and why? Are there good AND bad transcodes? Explain.

1. What is the concept of maintaining a ratio.
2. Explain how lossy and lossless audio codecs are different? Give three (3) examples of each codec type.
3. Define transcoding - in terms of audio.
4. Why are some transcodes acceptable and why are some transcodes not acceptable?
5. If given the three maximum frequency ranges of (22khz, 20khz and 19khz) and file sizes (78MB, 104MB and 299MB) match each of them to the most likely format of either (320 CBR, V0 and FLAC), ie. Type-Size-Frequency
6. If a V0 and 256 CBR album are both available, which would you prefer, and why?
7. Give examples of methods that could be used to prove an audio file is actually the type of format/bitrate that it is advertised.
8. After encoding a new audio file which of the following tag(s) is/are recommended?
a. <artist>, <album>, <track#>, <title> and <year>
b. <track#> and <title>
c. <artist>, <album>
d. leave them all blank
9. When seeding audio files, editing the id3 tags of the audio file will interfere with the complete transfer of the files? (TRUE or FALSE)
10. If transcoding and no more than one lossless to lossy encoding is permitted which of these transcodes are/is generally acceptable? Give only a YES or NO for each specified example.
a. FLAC->WAV->APE
b. V0->V1->V2
c. MP3->AAC->128
d. 320->256->192
e. VBR->ABR->CBR
f. WAV->ALAC->AAC
g. MP3->APE->FLAC
h. CDA->WAV->MP3
i. MP3->WAV->CDA
j. 320->WAV->FLAC
k. CDA->V0->V1
l. APE->FLAC->APE
m. V0->WAV->CDA

Tekrader
27.12.08, 09:35
Hi,
thanks for the interviews anon. It is curious how serious people take the private trackers they help run. I ran into problems with BitMeTV staff once over my account (was out of the country and my account got disabled). It was laughable what they wanted me to do to prove that I told the truth. It also paints a really sad picture of their "real" lives.

Regards

Manas
27.12.08, 10:54
Hehehe, BitmeTV is famous for its not-so-friendly staff :biggrin:
But with all that trades going on they really don't have a choice.

Anyway, thank you too anon for the interviews. They may be very helpful for members who want to join that way.

anon
27.12.08, 15:52
@Tekrader & Manas: No problem! :smile:

And I'll take that in mind when I get inside BitMeTV, specially because my ISP randomly gives me IPs that are completely different from each other every day. Should they end up resolving to a different region/country, I'd be most likely banned like Tekrader...

Tekrader
27.12.08, 18:54
@anon

The BitMeTV staff is really interesting. I know people who lost their accounts for no obvious reasons. At least none the staff wanted to share with them.

My account got not activated again BTW. No real loss for me.

Regards

splicer
11.02.09, 19:22
I used the IRC method to get into What.CD; fairly straight forward and easy, but you best read up on those hydrogenaudio links.

Also, I have a feeling that What.CD bans Mac addresses, but I'm not too sure; when I first got in about two years ago I used NRPG RM to build up a decent buffer, so I had no reason to cheat for a while. Probably about 6 months ago, my ratio needed some boosting and ran NRPG RM and found I was banned within an hour! So I waited a few weeks for my IP to change, and decided to try out the IRC method. When I joined the IRC, and tried to join the channel concerning obtaining an invite, it said I was banned! So I phoned up my ISP and requested an IP change, it happened, and I was still banned! I didn't try to get back in for a long time as I wasn't too bothered; then I learned about Mac address spoofing and saw my router (a Linksys model) had that feature. I Changed my Mac address, got into the channel, did the IRC interview, and got back into What.CD.

SealLion
10.03.09, 03:05
that's really interesting to know about WHat determining one's MAC address in addition to thier IP. They knowing your IP would seem obvious, but about the MAC address.....that's quite interesting.

I'm gonna remember that just in case.

I know that there are MAC address spoofing tools out there and I used to have one of them. A not too bad one either, I might add.

The one I had was called MAC Make UP.

For those of you reading this, the link is here:

Mac MakeUp - MAC Address spoofing tool (http://www.gorlani.com/publicprj/macmakeup/macmakeup.asp)

There are other sites available as well. Probably better too.

anonftw
13.03.09, 08:33
OK ... I have been banned from What for about 2 weeks for a stupid cheating mistake .... one false click. It still says my account is disabled. There is nothing about IP banned on the main page. OK. Would it be safe to accept an invite with new email and activate it from public place(i.e. library) then login from home ?? Will the inviter be notified if IP is banned ?? Thanks

anon
13.03.09, 18:04
OK. Would it be safe to accept an invite with new email and activate it from public place(i.e. library) then login from home ??

Yes. Just make sure you delete your home IP has changed, and your cache and cookies have been deleted.

Will the inviter be notified if IP is banned ??

As far as I know, no, but they'll see the disabled icon in your profile if your account is banned.

nextor
17.03.09, 20:46
I'm really going to try to get in to what.cd. Is it true that there are no cheats that are really safe there? Hey, thanks for a great guide.

anon
17.03.09, 23:01
Is it true that there are no cheats that are really safe there?

No, it isn't. You just need to use the right mod/tool, and moderate rates (<100kB/s in my opinion).

hontoCorti
17.04.09, 11:51
@ splicer: i don't think they ban the mac adress...
maybe they banned an ip range and the ban was only for some minutes?
also some providers have different ip ranges for their connections...

Done some research on it, in the packets only the last computer's mac is shown the packet has just passed... So they just cannot ban your mac.

The questions on what.cd interview are not so easy. I'm not really an audio expert, i know what abr, cbr vbr is, but v0 and some other questions i would have to do some research;)

splicer
17.04.09, 12:05
No, the IRC told me I was banned, and for a long time it said this at that. As my post says, it was only when I changed my Mac address that the IRC would allow me to join.

In my opinion, and from what my expirience would dictate to me, they do; if you want to think different then feel free.

Just read those HydrogenAudio links and you will be fine. Remember, you can take the test 3 times before you have to change you IP address again.

alpacino
17.04.09, 12:54
Hey, whenever I try this interview I get instaban as soons as I enter the channel and am greeted with a msg saying that there were too many bad users from my contry LOL. I will try later to spoof my ip and enter the irc channel again. Will let you know If I succeed.

Now about the MAC detection. Is it really possible? I mean, this sound too CIA for me :D as it's like a serial number connect to each one's hardware right?. I am behind a router here, does a router have a MAC or only network cards have it? Thanks.

anon
17.04.09, 15:18
Hey, whenever I try this interview I get instaban as soons as I enter the channel and am greeted with a msg saying that there were too many bad users from my contry LOL. I will try later to spoof my ip and enter the irc channel again. Will let you know If I succeed.

Yes, some countries are banned from their IRC server. You could find a proxy and connect through it, but as far as I know it has to be a SOCKS one.

Now about the MAC detection. Is it really possible? I mean, this sound too CIA for me :D as it's like a serial number connect to each one's hardware right?. I am behind a router here, does a router have a MAC or only network cards have it? Thanks.

By the look of splicer's post, it's possible. And yes, both routers and network cards possess a MAC address.

sten
27.04.09, 02:15
anyone know of a good proxy to get into the channel? i been trying and each 1 i try is banned already :/

alpacino
27.04.09, 09:20
anyone know of a good proxy to get into the channel? i been trying and each 1 i try is banned already :/

DarkSaibot's AOL ip change tutorial should work nicely. Take a look here (http://www.sb-innovation.de/f59/tut-how-change-your-ip-address-aol-software-9897/). :top:

Samanoske
27.04.09, 15:17
Aww, crap. My country's been banned because of, and I quote, "the very high proportion of users from this area being bad for the site - either leechers, traders, sellers and/or cheaters". Means I have no way of getting in via the invite channel, as 2223 mentioned?

Is it still possible for me to get in some other way? :frown:

splicer
27.04.09, 16:07
To What.CD or to take the IRC questionaire?

You can get into What.CD via invite and account trade (must be with someone who's IP is of the same country as you).

IRC, I'm unsure. If you rent a VPN service for a month it would be possible; channel all your traffic through a server in another country, that would allow you to join, as they see you with a different IP. But that costs money; something not eeveyone has. I don't recomend free ones either.

anon
27.04.09, 18:55
As far as I know What.cd doesn't ban any countries, but some are blocked from its IRC interview. You can still be invited normally by another member, though.

alpacino
27.04.09, 21:47
DarkSaibot's AOL ip change tutorial should work nicely. Take a look here (http://www.sb-innovation.de/f59/tut-how-change-your-ip-address-aol-software-9897/). :top:

I haven't tested DarkSaibot's method for the interview as I am too lazy myself to submit to this interview :rolling_eyes:, but another person told me it's not working for him, he told me AOL ip's are banned :baeh:. Can anyone else confirm? Also is it possible to use a webproxy in conjunction with a webirc?

Großmutter
27.04.09, 21:56
poweruser will for SCC and go to the forum:wink:

darkside
29.04.09, 00:48
I have joined what.cd two days before and i checked site 3-4 time a day but when i check it today it gives me error like this *Your account has been disabled.This is either due to inactivity or rule violation.* my country is also ban from what.cd irc so wht should i do now.

anon
29.04.09, 00:51
Sign up for a free Ivacy VPN (http://www.ivacy.com/) trial. This will hopefully bypass the country block. Then you can connect to:

irc.what.cd
#what.cd-disabled

And ask what happened to your account.

hanswurst07
29.04.09, 20:40
somehow they found out about my acc here, so be careful guys, i did not use the same user, and did not even cheat on what.cd lol.

Samanoske
30.04.09, 14:31
Wow, the interview process is a real test of patience and determination. I do, however, salute them for being thorough in their member intake. Gonna take me quite some time of reading up before I give it a proper shot.

anon
30.04.09, 17:37
Gonna take me quite some time of reading up before I give it a proper shot.

This (http://whatinterviewprep.webs.com/) can help you. :top:

Samanoske
30.04.09, 18:57
Thanks for the note, mate. I did stumble upon that place from their FAQ, already read through most of it. Now I'm going through what's NOT in there, just in case. Can't afford another 'mishap' with my next interview.

Stickbutt
02.05.09, 10:06
I've had job interviews where I was asked less questions. The average end user isn't going to upload their own material anyway, so the entirety of the interview process is just for e-penis on the part of the tracker admins.

anonftw
02.05.09, 10:13
I've had job interviews where I was asked less questions. The average end user isn't going to upload their own material anyway, so the entirety of the interview process is just for e-penis on the part of the tracker admins.

Let's hope the HD Video sites don't get any ideas from these people.

alpacino
02.05.09, 11:26
I was thinking (out of nowhere) how useless this interview is, they are so full of shit. Starting by the fact many areas are banned from the interview, I've seen mentions of a lot of locations including: Romania, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, India, Israel, Poland and many more. Who these fuckers think they are? Don't they know they are killing the purpose of p2p?

Another point is, you don't have to be smart to know there's a good chance the best part of the interviews are all fake and full of lies. All you need to do is read (like when you study for a test), submit, lie carefuly and join and then forget about what you read on the preparations docs (pretty much like when you study for a test on a subject you hate, you end up forgeting everything after a few days). Come on, we all like music at some degree, but I can imagine not everybody is concerned about the little details involved in making the music files. My main point is they don't care about their candidates lying but hate the cheaters, so controversial.

Sorry to bash their asses like that in this thread, but that's how I feel, I never been there for long enough (got cut off due to a tree ban, after less than 1 day) and atm I get my musics from somewhere else like soulseek, full albuns at general trackers and some more rare stuff at waffles, which imo is a great place.

anonftw
02.05.09, 11:45
@Alpacino, embarrassingly enough, I bot banned a few days after signing up because I didn't research my cheat tools and made an idiot out of myself. But a few months later I found Waffles as well and haven't ever tried to go back to What ? BTW, all it takes is a few minutes of memorization to pass through that test. So, people, all you gotta do is memorize the answers. Hell, they have sample tests in a thread on this site. The only bad part is waiting for the lofty interviewers to decide to interview you. I may go back one day, but Waffles has style, IMO.

anon
02.05.09, 20:08
I was thinking (out of nowhere) how useless this interview is, they are so full of shit. Starting by the fact many areas are banned from the interview, I've seen mentions of a lot of locations including: Romania, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, India, Israel, Poland and many more. Who these fuckers think they are? Don't they know they are killing the purpose of p2p?

Blocking people from those countries from doing the IRC interview (which, should they pass, proves they -supposedly- will be good members of the site) but not from using the tracker by being invited normally is indeed stupid. :eek13:

kazuya
02.05.09, 20:39
who cares about What.CD anyway,music is anyway easy to download also without trackers

splicer
02.05.09, 20:47
I can see your point kazuya, but What.CD is the MacDaddy (that's not a word you hear often hehe) of music trackers (IMO). There is just so much stuff; 250000~ of music! And due to their strict rules about the source of the torrent, everything sounds beautiful (monetary investment into decent audio equipment may be required). It also gives a good leverage on trades, and I was even planning on giving my invites for free, before I got banned.

Though there are many alternatives; STMusic, Pedro's, Waffles.FM just to name a few, as well as RS links.

Hit the big 3-0-0. I was wondering where I could spam post without making it seem like spam.

dunkendonuts
06.05.09, 04:21
I don't think mac addresses are banned, I went to their irc after my account was disabled, was in there invite channel, and their help channel, and their disabled channel, not banned... lol!

alpacino
06.05.09, 05:29
Yes, MAC ban would be absurd, because I read somewhere that even through a hard inspection they could only know the last 2 bits of the effective MAC address. And now, millions of different users have the same 2 bits on their MAC :wink:

splicer
06.05.09, 09:45
Well I still maintain the beleif they do. This comes from the fact that when I tried to join their invites channel, I kept on receiving an IRC message saying I need an invite to join the invites channel. I called my ISP and got an IP change; but I still recieved that message whenever I tried to join.

Kazuya then told me about bridging the modem (and then I fell in love with him) and I was able t gain my MAC spoofing abilities back. Spoofed it once, got a new MAC, and was able to join the invites channel.

From my two experiences, they can ban MAC addresses, and so, that is what I believe. If you don't want to believe the same, that's fine, I wasn't going to force it upon you.

kazuya
06.05.09, 10:05
@Splicer maybe they don't ban MAC,i don't know for sure since when you changed MAC in router your IP also changed when you rebooted router after that,did your IP changed?of course that happened if you have dynamic IP and not static

alpacino
06.05.09, 10:46
@splicer I believe you man, I never meant to hurt your trust :top:

Now I am thinking, maybe they can ban only MAC in routers and not in Operating System/network card? I was thinking it could be the way routers present themselves to the internet?

splicer
06.05.09, 13:17
@kazuya
My ISP gives long lease dynamic IPs, and registers an IP to a MAC address for a about a month (that's what the technician said); simply turning off/on my modem never changed the IP. When I bridged the modem, and spoofed a MAC using my Linksys router, I got a new IP because of the "new" MAC address. Keep in mind that the IP still stayed within the same range, so it wasn't that What.CD had banned the range, as I was then able to join the invite channel.

@alpacino
I really don't know; I'm fairly sure it's the router MAC adress, but I'm not an expert...

ghostking
09.05.09, 03:46
who cares about What.CD anyway,music is anyway easy to download also without trackers
But the quaility isn't too good...

alpacino
09.05.09, 04:14
But the quaility isn't too good...
Why not? V2 scene releases are more than enough for me :smile:

Stickbutt
18.05.09, 22:02
Why not? V2 scene releases are more than enough for me :smile:

That may be the case, but for others, V2 simply will not do.

caballero
05.04.10, 15:09
If you succeeded in the interview and you got onto the site. Do they have an automatic system to warn them if i went over my upload speed which I gave them?

anon
05.04.10, 15:13
Do they have an automatic system to warn them if i went over my upload speed which I gave them?

Everything suspicious gets logged to their IRC. Their swarm analyzer is quite good at detecting stuff if you don't stop before the update. They aren't checking if your upload speed is higher than X, they're checking if it's realistic given the amount of activity other peers have reported.

caballero
05.04.10, 17:23
i'm going to go for an interview......if they asked me how did you hear about the website i will tell them "SBI-innovation", i'm pretty sure they've hear about it :smile:

anon
05.04.10, 17:45
I hope you're joking.

Blocker
06.04.10, 04:38
i'm going to go for an interview......if they asked me how did you hear about the website i will tell them "SBI-innovation", i'm pretty sure they've hear about it :smile:

WTF!

Instant ban

Mihai
06.04.10, 12:18
Not instant ban because they will not actually send the invite:tongue:

Nobody
06.04.10, 12:26
I seriously doubt he was serious. But hey, if the man wants to be a bum, the least we can do is christen his dumpster.

So if he is serious, tell them we said hello!

saebrtooth
06.04.10, 12:40

Yes thats the best way to tell them. Since SBI is well known it can be used as a trusted source. On the other hand if you say "I knew about What.cd through xyz shitty tracker" they they might not believe you and not pass the pop corn to you :tongue:

anon
06.04.10, 18:17
Not instant ban because they will not actually send the invite:tongue:

Instant ban from IRC (gline). :tongue:

Nobody, they've told several users to say hi to the guys at SB-I, or even specifically me. Time for payback, I guess :biggrin:

caballero
07.04.10, 00:50
I can now see the difference between a smile and a big grin at the end of your sentence. :D
of course i was joking, i was only serious about doing the interview, in a few days maybe

sudar02
11.04.10, 13:27
If you succeeded in the interview and you got onto the site. Do they have an automatic system to warn them if i went over my upload speed which I gave them?

They use your speedtest for identification purposes only. They don't really care for your speeds.

caballero
15.04.10, 05:07
what an interview..........................ehhhh :PC-Freak:

saebrtooth
15.04.10, 12:15
so did u get in or what?

caballero
15.04.10, 14:39
so did u get in or what?

Oh yes :smile:

saebrtooth
15.04.10, 15:29
good one, now onto pu :biggrin:

anon
15.04.10, 16:46
You still need 5 uploads to get to PU :biggrin:

While they don't have to be music albums (you can upload ebooks, comics or apps), I followed the correct EAC settings guide yesterday and ended up making perfect FLAC rips after an hour or so. I thought I'd never get it right, but actually the hardest part was getting an original CD to do the drive offset calibration and the cache, AccurateStream and C2 tests (had to borrow one :redface:).

So, if you have an original CD What doesn't, and your upload speed is at least "decent", and you'll be able to take care of seeding a big torrent, you could try that, and also buffer even more in the meantime :smile:

caballero
15.04.10, 18:26
You still need 5 uploads to get to PU :biggrin:

While they don't have to be music albums (you can upload ebooks, comics or apps), I followed the correct EAC settings guide yesterday and ended up making perfect FLAC rips after an hour or so. I thought I'd never get it right, but actually the hardest part was getting an original CD to do the drive offset calibration and the cache, AccurateStream and C2 tests (had to borrow one :redface:).

anon, what if the CD already exists on the site. For example, an album is there with all the codecs. Can you upload it again?

anon
15.04.10, 19:50
You can only upload a rip of the same album on a version that doesn't already exist (FLAC vs. MP3 320 vs. V0 vs. V2, etc.).

grebetu
17.04.10, 10:05
Also releases with proper log trump those without log.

anon
17.04.10, 17:42
Same goes for a 100% log against one where the tracks' quality < 100%. Also, a release without the track numbers in the filenames can be trumped by one that does - stupid but true :lol:

grebetu
18.04.10, 22:44
I like strict rules, but even with those in place I downloaded several mistagged and suspiciously encoded releases during freeleech :(

anon
18.04.10, 22:45
Report them! :lol:

grebetu
18.04.10, 22:53
Report them! :lol:

:biggrin: After I talked about it publicly here, I would rather blow a hole in my head :top:

jacksbi
08.05.10, 18:15
is there a way joining in the irc interview channel for banned country ips?

anon
08.05.10, 18:16
Use a proxy. :such:

But then you also have to use it for logging in and announcing.

jacksbi
08.05.10, 18:17
will they ban me if i use the home ip after joining the tracker?

and it is very hard to find irc proxies.

anon
08.05.10, 18:17
I don't know.

But you'll blow your cover for sure.

Mihai
08.05.10, 18:23
Try the x264 invite forum.Doesn't matter if you are from abanned country.

jacksbi
08.05.10, 18:32
i had tried it but no response.

Mihai
08.05.10, 19:26
LOl.Look at his profile and see when was the last time he logged in.
Also, you used the:"I am a big fan of music, i listen everyday, i heard a lot about this glorious tracker called what.cd and i am dieing to get an invite" thing??

SSJGogeta
22.05.10, 23:07
Would I be safe if I was to use another person's speedtest with a different ISP during the interview? If not then can I get a confirmed response that they won't deny me based on my speedtest. I generally use my neighbor's internet for torrenting since their cable much faster then my ADSL but for reasons too complected, I can't take the interview using my neighbor's internet.

anon
22.05.10, 23:08
Would I be safe if I was to use another person's speedtest with a different ISP during the interview?

There's only one way to know!

saebrtooth
23.05.10, 02:38
the longer u dealy dude, the more they have to suspect of u

SSJGogeta
23.05.10, 05:07
the longer u dealy dude, the more they have to suspect of u

Um...I don't understand; what do you mean?

fakeking
23.05.10, 05:12
Jack and gogeta, are the places you live in have public internet access?. Maybe you can try to interview with those place like public library, etc. :wink:

SSJGogeta
23.05.10, 06:12
Jack and gogeta, are the places you live in have public internet access?. Maybe you can try to interview with those place like public library, etc. :wink:

I would lol, but from what I've read up on, the interview can take quite a while. I'm in no rush to get in what.cd. I'll find the right opportunity eventually, so until then I guess I can study more about the interview. So can anybody confirm if I was to show what.cd a speedtest less than a megabit upload and download, I'd be rejected instantly?

alpacino
23.05.10, 06:27
As far as I now, you won't be rejected because of your internet speed, so you'd better use your real one.

anon
23.05.10, 18:02
Um...I don't understand; what do you mean?

He means that the longer the time you take to reply on IRC, the more they'll suspect of you (specially during the "main" questions, since a lot of people google the answers on-the-fly instead of studying).

caballero
23.05.10, 18:09
(since a lot of people google the answers on-the-fly instead of studying).

Bringing back some memories, when I did the interview the guy said you have 10 minutes (for a specific question) and I take much much longer than that, he doesn't say anything because the answer I give him after the 10 minutes is so so long (full explanation) that he neglects the time. And he was so cool, a couple of times he would say "brb", when I finished the interview I said to myself; this one is definitely not one of the "cruel"staff SB-I members talk about

anon
23.05.10, 18:11
this one is definitely not one of the "cruel"staff SB-I members talk about

Right, we shouldn't generalize. :unsure:

Ticko
23.05.10, 18:12
Bringing back some memories, when I did the interview the guy said you have 10 minutes (for a specific question) and I take much much longer than that, he doesn't say anything because the answer I give him after the 10 minutes is so so long (full explanation) that he neglects the time. And he was so cool, a couple of times he would say "brb", when I finished the interview I said to myself; this one is definitely not one of the "cruel"staff SB-I members talk about

i had a very friendly interviewer at what.cd very lenient on the time if your answers are well thought out and correct. just be sure to study and not google your answers they will know if you do

anon
23.05.10, 18:12
Perhaps he was new and hadn't been corrupted by the rest of their staff yet. :lol:

saebrtooth
25.05.10, 07:09
i had a very friendly interviewer at what.cd very lenient on the time if your answers are well thought out and correct. just be sure to study and not google your answers they will know if you do

If u dont search how can u know the difference in quality of rip methods and bit rates etc.

shadowww
25.05.10, 12:03
Using someone's else speedtest is not good idea since they can see your IP and hostname when you are connected on IRC.

SBfreak
25.05.10, 12:14
Not always helpful for admins.For example.in my country the ISP provides multiple services.Speeds may vary depending on the type of account.

shadowww
25.05.10, 12:26
Yes but if IRC IP is not == IP on the speedtest result, you are screwed.

Ups, just checked speedtest.net, there isn't any IP on it. Only isp provider. So yes, if you find (not too old) speedtest result from same provider (or have friend that can make you one) but with better speeds you should be safe.

anon
25.05.10, 18:18
if you find (not too old) speedtest result from same provider (or have friend that can make you one) but with better speeds you should be safe.

I was thinking the same when I read the first line of your post. :happy:

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Not always helpful for admins.For example.in my country the ISP provides multiple services.

And you have the l33test :lol:

sudar02
28.05.10, 10:40
Yes but if IRC IP is not == IP on the speedtest result, you are screwed.

Ups, just checked speedtest.net, there isn't any IP on it. Only isp provider. So yes, if you find (not too old) speedtest result from same provider (or have friend that can make you one) but with better speeds you should be safe.

I have lame speeds, especially upload. Don't know if speeds have any impact on being approved. I think that's just for identification purposes only.
I once applied with only 0.1 mbit upload speed and still got in. My max upload is around 0.3mbit and they approved me :D

As I said, I think they just want to make sure you're not using proxies or anything in particular.

shadowww
28.05.10, 12:37
Well yes, generally its not much of bandwidth needed for songs. At least not in comparison to HD movies. So I understand why would they let you in with slow upload anyway.

anon
28.05.10, 18:47
You can survive even with the crappiest upload speed on What if you dedicate a lot of time to upload and seed your own stuff.

simon000
03.01.11, 12:50
Hi,

i hope you can help me. I tried to get an invite by using the irc and failed in the second part of the interview.

They asked stupid questions about v0 mps and other things i never heard before. I read the beginners guide and the interview prep but i could not find the answers to the allowed uploads.

Is anyone here who passed the interview who can help me? IŽd like to try another time.

caballero
03.01.11, 13:37
They asked stupid questions about v0 mps and other things i never heard before. I read the beginners guide and the interview prep but i could not find the answers to the allowed uploads.

Is anyone here who passed the interview who can help me? IŽd like to try another time.

It's all there trust me. What was the question?

simon000
03.01.11, 16:21
They asked me things about different filetypes and encoding stuff. What kind of files can be uploaded or so.

There were examples like: CD--> mp3 0v --> flac or something like that and should answer if they are ok. I just guessed and think most of them where wrong and then they kicked me :(

anon
03.01.11, 17:58
They asked stupid questions about v0 mps

They're not stupid questions. You'll need to know that if you plan on uploading your own rips without losing your privileges.

There were examples like: CD--> mp3 0v --> flac or something like that and should answer if they are ok.

That's an easy one, and there are examples in the first page of this thread. Basically, CD, FLAC, WavPack, APE, are either the original thing or a lossless rip. You can transcode from any to any of those, and the audio won't be affected one bit. Now, MP3, AAC, 320, V0, V2 (the last three are LAME presets, not formats), are lossy. Meaning that if you convert from those to a lossless format, there will be a loss of quality, which is bad. However, converting from lossless to lossy is fine, as long as lossy is the last thing in the chain.

With that said, see if you can solve this small exercise:
1. CD -> FLAC -> V0
2. V0 -> AAC -> FLAC
3. 320 -> CD -> FLAC
4. FLAC -> APE -> V2
5. CD -> V0 -> FLAC

The answers are as follows (don't open the spoiler until you're done :wwink:).
1. CD -> FLAC -> V0 OK
2. V0 -> AAC -> FLAC BAD
3. 320 -> CD -> FLAC BAD
4. FLAC -> APE -> V2 OK
5. CD -> V0 -> FLAC BAD

With all that said, best of luck in your next interview.

tokiodrift1
06.01.11, 01:07
sbi-exclusive guide for joining what.cd--> click (http://www.sb-innovation.de/f231/what-cd-irc-invite-ebook-20219/)

anon
06.01.11, 02:00
That's for Members only, bud. You're just teasing everyone else below that bar. :wfrown:

tokiodrift1
06.01.11, 02:39
Feel free to make those posts gone.. .^^

anon
06.01.11, 02:40
I didn't say there's anything wrong with them. :shifty:

khiem11tt1
17.09.12, 19:04
yes . i have joined IRc channel WHat and pinned all my hope on my answers but i failed . WHat your experience ?

zhnujm00
20.01.16, 21:19
much easier to get invite!

who could wait all day for his turn to do interview?!

Nachten
28.01.16, 14:00
You can survive even with the crappiest upload speed on What if you dedicate a lot of time to upload and seed your own stuff.

You should highlight this in red :-) Its not like a normal tracker where you can build up an awesome ratio through webseed. You def have to upload stuff to make ratio.

anon
28.01.16, 17:36
You should highlight this in red :-)

Only if I also get to write "a lot" in 72px and bold :wtongue:

Betrayed
18.09.16, 15:59
what.cd can be a great place to start. If you can get in there and build a decent ratio then youll be able to get an invite to just about anywhere.

fraudman
31.10.16, 09:33
what.cd can be a great place to start. If you can get in there and build a decent ratio then youll be able to get an invite to just about anywhere.

Are u the admin of BTN

Codec
31.10.16, 10:26
lol. :wgrin:

anon
31.10.16, 17:10
The problem with Internet communications is that you never know who's on the other side of the screen. Here's a log from when I apparently teleported to India to join the What.cd disabled channel, experiencing slight language attrition in the process.

* anon-sbi (007@137cd8.bc0c46.9b33a4.1d7331) has joined #what.cd-disabled
<&whatcdmod> anon-sbi: what's up?
<+anon-sbi> My account had been disabled
<&whatcdmod> Which account was that?
<+anon-sbi> :)
<+anon-sbi> do you know me?
<&whatcdmod> Hmm, not sure.
<+anon-sbi> May be all of your moderators and admins know me.
<&whatcdmod> I thought that you weren't a fan of IRC?
<+anon-sbi> Not a fan of IRC?
<&whatcdmod> I thought that you, anon, did not like using IRC :P
<+anon-sbi> Your moderators want me to join your team to code the site.:)
<+anon-sbi> do you know me now?
<+anon-sbi> Can you guess me where I am from?
<&whatcdmod> ok, cyclotron, I don't really have time for another chat
<+anon-sbi> LOL
<&whatcdmod> You can leave the channel unless you want to give me some details about your "other accounts." :D
<+anon-sbi> Let it happen
<+anon-sbi> You cant spit a shit on me
<+anon-sbi> LOL
<&whatcdmod> Goodbye.
<+anon-sbi> Ok mother fucker.Its fun here
<+anon-sbi> LOL
ROFL
* +anon-sbi (aaa@137cd8.bc0c46.63c541.1b4420) Quit (G-Lined: ...)

* anon-sbi (aaa@137cd8.bc0c46.f831ca.eebda3) has joined #what.cd-disabled
* CommandServ sets mode: +v anon-sbi
<+anon-sbi> HAHA
<+anon-sbi> HAHA
<+anon-sbi> how much u can ban me?
<+anon-sbi> Dynamic IPS are always there
<+anon-sbi> different browsers are there
<+anon-sbi> different versions are there
<+anon-sbi> HAHA
* +anon-sbi (aaa@137cd8.bc0c46.f831ca.eebda3) Quit (G-Lined: ...)

molosse
31.10.16, 18:54
The problem with Internet communications is that you never know who's on the other side of the screen. Here's a log from when I apparently teleported to India to join the What.cd disabled channel, experiencing slight language attrition in the process.

Is it a good idea to upset them?
I'd rather keep a low profile in these circumstances.

---------- Post Merged at 18:54 ---------- Previous Post was at 18:45 ----------

there is no tracker that I despise more than WCD.

Considering the real time you have to dedicate on it, you might as well not spend any minute on WCD and work during that time. Or do some family/friend stuffs.
If you choose to work, use that money you earned to buy your music or go on other music trackers.

No tracker should be crazy difficult for its member. It sorts of defeat the whole purpose of sharing on P2P. they could at least offer generous bonus points.

anon
01.11.16, 16:39
Is it a good idea to upset them?

It's tempting, but no matter the outcome, nothing good will happen. What do you get out of rejoining the channel to brag about how you can change your IP and reregister? They aren't going to say "you're right, there's nothing we can do about, so you can have your account back".

there is no tracker that I despise more than WCD.

Considering the real time you have to dedicate on it, you might as well not spend any minute on WCD and work during that time. Or do some family/friend stuffs.
If you choose to work, use that money you earned to buy your music or go on other music trackers.

No tracker should be crazy difficult for its member. It sorts of defeat the whole purpose of sharing on P2P. they could at least offer generous bonus points.

True, What.cd is super difficult to seed on, and virtually demands that you make your own uploads, but that's a necessary evil. Otherwise, they wouldn't have as many torrents as they do (the amount was in the seven digits last time I checked), and most of those that do get uploaded would die out within six months. If staff could find a way to let everyone download everything they want and not harm retention and keep new uploads coming, they certainly would! And things have improved since I first joined them back on 2008, when there were no dynamic ratio requirements and you didn't get any initial buffer. But ultimately, those are the rules of the game. Bonus points harm retention (unless implemented very carefully and not in the usual way, see in Waffles), and all ratio-free trackers have died.

Note I don't like this either, and I actually tried to uploads lots of my stuff in the past (to decide it wasn't worth the effort, even back then!). So the options are 1. cheat, 2. wait until the next global freeleech then rent a 10 Gbps seedbox and go on a rampage, 3. get your music somewhere else. I went for no. 3, it was easier.

What.cd IS NOT for the casual user!! (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/446521-What-cd-IS-NOT-for-the-casual-user!!)
Is what.cd an outdated torrent website? (http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/457750-Is-what-cd-an-outdated-torrent-website)