PDA

View Full Version : How to be Connectable all the time!

Aurion
15.12.08, 20:41
Well,damn I miss it in here...I guess I will have to say the same excuse I'm saying every time,but I'm really stuck up @ work,I barely breath lol :biggrin: Anyway,I thought I should write this nice little tutorial for who ever gets troubles staying Connectable (Green Light = Right path :P lol) in all trackers you're using...

So here we go once again :

I already think this issue has caused severe panic for most users who aren't deeply familiar with Bit-Torrent general knowledge,that's why I've decided to make a Major topic by which any member here in GFT can use to overcome Connectable in case that he/she have that Red icon while downloading/uploading any contents off GFT...

Now before going though this Tutorial,I'll briefly explain what we will be discussing here.The main purpose of being Connectable is to be able to connect to any peer within the swarm & vice versa.So in simple words,if you are fully connected to the tracker,all peers can connect to you,if you're unconnected,you won't be affected in terms of recorded transfer data,but on the other hand you will affect the whole cycle as not all the peers can easily connect to you.

Note : Being FireWalled doesn't mean you won't or can't initiate connections with other peers,it just simple means that not all peers would have the ability to initiate similar connections to you,that's why in case of being FireWalled,you might get Flagged with "Unconnectable" regardless of downloading/uploading to the tracker.On a last note,you have to understand that if it happened to have another user FireWalled,that would enormously would affect other connected peers putting extra load on them,finally we would have a dead slow swarm.For detailed description on understanding how FireWall badly affecting a Bit-Torrent bandwith,click here (http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html).

Usually, when you're "Unconnectable", you don't have either your ports correctly forwarded or your firewall isn't properly configured.

# Configuring your network

Now, it's important to know that if you forward your ports, it's necessary to set up a static local IP. To do such thing, follow these steps:

- Go to Start/Control Panel/Internet and Network Connections/Network Connections.
- Right click on your local connection (e.g. Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) and choose Properties.
- Locate the TCP/IP Protocol and click on the Properties button.
- On the next screen, tick Use the following IP address.
- Under IP Address, type in your desired local IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.XXX - where XXX is a number different than 1 to be assigned to all computers in your network, the IP address can't be the same for two computers connected to the same network)*.
- Under Subnet Mask, type in 255.255.255.0.
- Under Default Gateway, type in the gateway (e.g. 192.168.0.1 for router - this information you will get from the router's user guide).
- Mark Use the following IP DNS server addresses.
- Under Preferred DNS Server, type in the same thing you have in Default Gateway.
- Leave Alternate DNS Server blank.

Remember that both IP address and default gateway can change from router to router. You can have a 10.0.0.XXX for local IP address and 10.0.0.1 for default gateway, or 192.168.1.1/192.168.1.XXX or even a different set. If you can't locate the default gateway for your router, click here (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm) and look for your router, but normally the same sets are used for all models of a specific manufacturer.The reason for setting up a static local IP is that if you don't do this, then every time you restart your network connections you would have a different local IP and therefore you would have to configure everything all over again.

for Vista users,it's a bit different,so kindly click here (http://portforward.com/networking/static-vista.htm).

# Configuring your client

Here, it's necessary to set or know what ports are being used in your client, and configure some other things.
Below there is a list with links on guides to the main clients:

- Azureus (http://portforward.com/cportsnotes/azureus/azureus22.htm)
- uTorrent (http://www.utorrent.com/setup_guide.php)

# Configuring your router

You have all the information now, so you just need to tell your router what to allow or not.The problem is that each router has an individual setup, although in the end everything is the same.The best thing to do is checking this link (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm) and look for your router model/client to see the step-by-step guide.
In general terms, this is what you should do:
- Open your web browser and type the default gateway as the address (e.g. http://192.168.0.1).
- Go to the port forwarding page and set the ports you have configured in your client to be enabled for your static local IP.

Note : Usually, you should choose a port from the range 50,000-60,000, but if you are going lower,this might highly affect the whole cycle,so you better check this (http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers) IANA report about ports you should avoid.

# Configuring your firewall

Again, this varies according to the firewall you use. In general terms, you have to add the client to the allowed list to access the internet list and/or port forward as well.Check this link (http://portforward.com/english/routers/firewalling/routerindex.htm) and look for your firewall in order to properly configure it.

# Configuring Windows XP Firewall

Since almost everyone has this firewall, it's good to know how to set it up.
- Go to Start/Control Panel/Security Center/Windows Firewall.
- Go to the "Exceptions" tab.
- Click on the Add program button and add your client.
- Click on the Add port button and add the port your client is using. Do this for both TCP and UDP types.

Important note: Please be sure that in the General tab, in Windows Firewall, the Don't allow exceptions options is unticked, otherwise, everything you've just done will be ignored.

We're almost done now,we just have to make sure everything is properly configured & the cycle will perfectly work without any glitches,so to check out that,there are two possible ways listed below :

- In uTorrent go to this (http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=xxxx) link where XXXX is the port your client uses and see if you get an OK answer.

- In Azureus go to Tools/NAT-Firewall Test and run the test within the client,if you got OK,you're good to go.

* = In order to know what's your external IP is,visit this (http://www.whatismyip.com) page.

FAQ

Q1. I've done all the above instructions,but still I can't manage to get Connectable flag ?

The above mentioned steps/method/technique is the normal scenario that should work properly under common conditions,but still there are some other factors that might affect the whole process,couple of them :

- Bad ISPs, click here (http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs).
- Bad Routers, click here (http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_routers).

Q2. I' using a Mac,does that method apply for me too ?

Well,the basic steps/conditions are the same,you just might want to check this (http://portforward.com/networking/static-Mac10.4.htm) for setting a Static IP then look for your router's model to PortForward it.

Q3. I'm getting a "Connectable" flag once started the torrent,then I get "Unconnectable" status right after the first tracker update announce ?

It actually doesn't matter,this is a Tracker/Server side not a Client side,so all you have to do is stopping then restarting your torrent,that should solve it.

Q4. My f*cking ISP sometimes cap my download/upload speeds,would that affect my Connectability status ?

No,that won't harm you at all,just make sure your ISP isn't blocking you from PostForwarding some ports.Also remember that when your port checkers says OK & tracker refuse that port,so it's probably your ISP causing troubles,that's why you always have to know if your ISP is concerned with ports blocking or not.

Q5. Hey man! I got a serious issue,I can't change my TCP/IP in my connection's settings,I have to leave it on Automatic detection upon my ISP inquiry,What can I do now ?

Try enabling UPnP mapping in both client & router,see if that can help.

Q6. I'm behind FireWalled using an access point (WiFi/Wireless Network) where I can't change anything myself,so I keep getting the "Unconnectable" error ?

Well,you're only hope is Port Scanning for any opened ports within that Network,otherwise Sorry there's nothing much you can do.

Q.7 Is it possible to have two different torrents,one shows "Connectable" [b]status & the other shows as "Unconnectable" ?

Well,that's kinda impossible unless you're seeding from two different locations.

Q.8 I've set TCP/IP & Gateway & made sure they have the same IP,but still I get problems ?

Simply,you can't set a different range for your port's selection,you just have to set the same port you used in the client.

Q.9 Whenever I start seeding back a torrent using Azureus (after got it done!),it suddenly stops & get queued ?

If it started then stopped,it's probably that Azureus didn't find any enough leechers connected,so it queued the file.I will try to make a simple Tutorial on how to set Azurues settings to work properly while downloading/uploading off trackers.

Q.10 Whenever I start torrents using uTorrent I get the "Connectable" flag then few hours later,all torrents are red flagged,I've applied the above steps properly ?

Well,since you're using uTorrent,I strongly recommend you turn UPnP function Off,it causes uTorrent to go nuts.

Q.11 Some of my torrents (downloading or seeding back) are "Conn." and some others are "Unconnectabe" ?

I've already answered that n00bie,just stop all the torrents manually then restart them,that should solve it

I guess I'm all done here :biggrin: So hope you all find this guide useful enough to solve all your "Connectability" problems you had before,and for sure your Feedbacks are all Welcome.

anon
15.12.08, 22:10
Just a few suggestions:

...,that's why I've decided to make a Major topic by which any member here in GFT can use to overcome Connectable...

GFT ≠ SB-I. :biggrin:

And it seems that you're missing a few links:

If you can't locate the default gateway for your router, click here and look for your router, but normally the same sets are used for all models of a specific manufacturer.

# Configuring your router

You have all the information now, so you just need to tell your router what to allow or not.The problem is that each router has an individual setup, although in the end everything is the same.The best thing to do is checking this link and look for your router model/client to see the step-by-step guide.

Note : Usually, you should choose a port from the range 50,000-60,000, but if you are going lower,this might highly affect the whole cycle,so you better check this IANA report about ports you should avoid.

# Configuring your firewall

Again, this varies according to the firewall you use. In general terms, you have to add the client to the allowed list to access the internet list and/or port forward as well.Check this link and look for your firewall in order to properly configure it.

* = In order to know what's your external IP is,visit this page.

Q2. I' using a Mac,does that method apply for me too ?

Well,the basic steps/conditions are the same,you just might want to check this for setting a Static IP then look for your router's model to PortForward it.

Aurion
17.12.08, 18:21
lol I'm embarrassed now dude :D actually I did that first for GFT then I've decided right after I've posted it there that I should do it here as well !

ooh & the links are now fixed...

P.S About the part for "Configuring your FireWall" the link is already there man,so it's your fault not mine...

anon
17.12.08, 18:40
P.S About the part for "Configuring your FireWall" the link is already there man,so it's your fault not mine...

Maybe it is now, but it wasn't there when I made my post. :wink:

Samanoske
30.04.09, 19:12
Might I ask whether geographical locations becomes a factor in my connectability? I've performed the steps as per mentioned above, long ago in fact. My line's well above average in stark contrast to my peers in the surrounding areas, yet I remain not connectable on most sites.

Please advise.

anon
30.04.09, 20:06
Might I ask whether geographical locations becomes a factor in my connectability?

While location itself shouldn't be an issue, some ISPs cause an unsolveable NAT problem...

Aurion
02.05.09, 18:33
Might I ask whether geographical locations becomes a factor in my connectability? I've performed the steps as per mentioned above, long ago in fact. My line's well above average in stark contrast to my peers in the surrounding areas, yet I remain not connectable on most sites.

Please advise.

Actually the answer to this question is partially/literally answered in the little FAQ I've provided along with the tutorial,but let me inform you agian about that.Yes,the geographical location plays quite an important role in defining what settings & which would properly function in your router/modem.

Furthermore,just bare in mind,that some ISPs just love to piss customers off by blocking certain ports known to be important & needed for most online applications to function,that's why most NAT issues relate back to ISPs.

hellman
26.03.10, 19:11
My problem is that i'm connectable using only my real client utorrent and the utorrent modded by sbi for cheating... it means my ports are open.. i've even tested them using run tests in utorrent but i'm not connectable using ratiomaster(i've checked the tcplistener option) and mratio

I've exit my kaspersky and turned off the windows firewall but d problem is still there
what's happening??

anon
26.03.10, 19:12
My problem is that i'm connectable using only my real client utorrent and the utorrent modded by sbi for cheating... it means my ports are open.. i've even tested them using run tests in utorrent but i'm not connectable using ratiomaster(i've checked the tcplistener option) and mratio

If you'll always be running your real client along the tool you shouldn't care, but if you want to try something, reinstall the .NET Framework - both the RM and mR use it.

hellman
26.03.10, 19:21
If you'll always be running your real client along the tool you shouldn't care, but if you want to try something, reinstall the .NET Framework - both the RM and mR use it.

k man.. i'll try reinstalling it... and if i'm using my real client then it means i have to set a torrent froom the same tracker that i'm cheating.. right??:top:

awesome now it seems like m ready to roll at waffles.. hahaha
waffles here i come:ssjgoku:

anon
26.03.10, 19:22
k man.. i'll try reinstalling it... and if i'm using my real client then it means i have to set a torrent froom the same tracker that i'm cheating.. right??:top:

Not really - if you're talking about the memory reader, any torrent will do, it can even be a public one.

hellman
28.03.10, 06:31
well first i became connectable using memmorey reader and 2nd time i started torrent with memory reader i was not connectable

look in my real client i was connectable and while in rm i was not... i think there is a bug in rm

http://lookpic.com/i/911/jB6HqgLm.jpeg
http://lookpic.com/i/361/qsIkBf9.jpeg

anon
28.03.10, 17:48
look in my real client i was connectable and while in rm i was not... i think there is a bug in rm

I don't think there's a bug in the RM. Are you running your real client at the same time? If not, why don't you enable the TCP listener?

hellman
29.03.10, 13:36
i'm running my real client too nd i've enabled this option of tcplistener too man
that's y i was saying there's a bug in the rm
hey tell me dat if there r only seeders and no leechers then will the website show that i'm connectable ??? with real client and with rm too??

anon
29.03.10, 14:39
i'm running my real client too

Then there's no need for the TCP listener.

hey tell me dat if there r only seeders and no leechers then will the website show that i'm connectable ??? with real client and with rm too??

The connectability status shown on the tracker depends on whether it can reach you, not on how many seeders or leechers exist on a torrent.