PDA

View Full Version : Torrents - Can it be done?

slikrapid
05.11.08, 20:45
1. is there a way (using mods/special settings...) to speed up downloading from public trackers by picking (testing their upload speed first?) only fast uploaders and discarding/disconnecting slow ones and keeping them connected (uploading) as long as possible?

This would be good for large swarms where you get connected to a small percentage of peers even though there may be better uploaders out there; lets say by using some sort of testing/fast switching between peers to maximize your download. Maybe this requires spoofing in order to stay connected to these 'good' peers if this statement is correct:
Peers will only be willing to give data to you if you give data to them

Usually the situation is: i get connected to say 20 peers and maybe 5 of them send data, others just do some checking/brief connects and stay visible in the peer list but don't upload any significant amount of data; it would be good to just discard them fast and start searching for new ones

2. is there a way to do selective scheduling for torrents?

The utorrent scheduler is global and works for all active torrents, but how about to schedule just a few torrents (as there are trackers that give freeleech at certain time of a day) so that you make them download at max during freeleech time and at or close to zero the rest of the time; without affecting torrents from other trackers. I would say it can be done by using another client just for these torrents but then this client can't be used for anything else.

anon
05.11.08, 20:56
1. is there a way (using mods/special settings...) to speed up downloading from public trackers by picking (testing their upload speed first?) only fast uploaders and discarding/disconnecting slow ones and keeping them connected (uploading) as long as possible?

Not with uTorrent, as far as I know.

You could use either the BitTyrant Azureus mod, or the Ono plugin (it tries to locate peers physically close to you to speed up downloads).

2. is there a way to do selective scheduling for torrents?

The utorrent scheduler is global and works for all active torrents, but how about to schedule just a few torrents...

Again, there's no way to set separate scheduler settings for individual torrents, but maybe it's possible with Azureus and the AzCron plugin.

slikrapid
05.11.08, 21:11
peers physically close to you

would probably give poor results as the whole region has low upload speeds :mad:

thx for the insider tips, i'll try 'em out :top:

i suppose all these plugins are azureus based because of the its open source nature

anon
05.11.08, 21:56
peers physically close to you

would probably give poor results as the whole region has low upload speeds :mad:

Although if it chooses a peer that's not in your country but still physically close to you, downloads can still speed up :wink:

So perhaps you can give it a try :smile:

i suppose all these plugins are azureus based because of the its open source nature

Yes :biggrin: