PDA

View Full Version : .net framework and java problem

divlord
30.09.08, 16:07
I have one doubt.
What is .net framework?
Do i need to install all of the versions 1.0 1.1 2.0 and now 3.5 ??
I think i need only latest one, but then why xp doesnt overwrite the older version?

the question is
What .net framework version do i install?

i cant load java applet in any browser
i have jdk 6 update 7 installed

i go to this page
Java applet test with applet and object (http://www.w3.org/People/mimasa/test/object/java/clock)

and this is what i see

http://i38.tinypic.com/j8o7yg.jpg

when i click on the "error" part it shows a long error log.

edit:: the java problem got solved. i changed the network settings in java plugin to "use browser settings".

Aurion
30.09.08, 17:34
well,you have to install each one of them since each versions has it's own library files that run different runtime files which are needed to get most of the appz we use daily to run properly...so I would say you install the 3 of them (v.1,v.2 & v.3.5)

sarutobi
30.09.08, 17:43
about .net (more precisely framework), it's an interpreter for c#, J#, visual c++ languages and is used by many microsoft appz.
I think that you can install just the last one, all application should work. Cause it should mantain a sort of back-compatibility.

java is also an interpreted language, and has its virtual machine, who interpretes the meta-language (like .net for C#). Java interpreter is JVM or JRE. instead JDK are all the API necessary to code a program in java. But to run a program written in java (application, applet or whatever is) is sufficient to have the JRE. You can find it (if you have it) under c:\program files\java. If you have jre installed, maybe you have a problem with the java plugin of your browser. What browser do you use?

divlord
30.09.08, 17:59
thanks for the replies.
i installed .net framework 2.0 SP1 and .net framework 3.5 (took very long to install)

the java problem got solved, i changed the network setting in the java plugin's control panel to "use browser settings"

Aurion
01.10.08, 17:42
good to see that you got it worked at last... Just try to avoid using lots of .Net Framework based appz since they hog loads of RAM (I used to have my PC stucked up when loading multiple Java sessions)