PDA

View Full Version : Clamwin Free antivirus

divlord
20.09.08, 02:51
Came accross some good antivirus.....

ClamWin is a Free Antivirus program for Microsoft Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003 and Vista.
ClamWin Free Antivirus comes with an easy installer and open source code. You may download and use it absolutely free of charge. It features:

* High detection rates for viruses and spyware;
* Scanning Scheduler;
* Automatic downloads of regularly updated Virus Database.
* Standalone virus scanner and right-click menu integration to Microsoft Windows Explorer;
* Addin to Microsoft Outlook to remove virus-infected attachments automatically.

The latest version of Clamwin Free Antivirus is 0.94
Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.
ClamWin Free Antivirus is based on ClamAV engine and uses GNU General Public License by the Free Software Foundation, and is free (as in freedom) software.

Please note that ClamWin Free Antivirus does not include an on-access real-time scanner. You need to manually scan a file in order to detect a virus or spyware.
If this feature is embedded than it would be great..
Nebody tried this one?

Download (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/clamwin/clamwin-0.94-setup.exe)

SealLion
20.09.08, 03:29
in my opionion, this is the worst AV out there next to that Norton garbage which no one in thier right mind would ever use anyways.

I tried ClamWin for awhile and it let in so many viri on my machine it was unbelievable. It took me a whole weekend to get rid of what was on my machine. I even tried Clam Win when I had Linux....did no good either. Made me even sadder 'n madder:baeh::mad2:

I have found that advertising is one thing, while personal experience with softwares, and reputation of softwares are a completely different thing from the other.

I am sure that you know yourself that nothing gets past NOD32.
Thats all that I'll say.

divlord
20.09.08, 06:24
I dint want to advertise..but since it was free and under GPL licence...I thought it would be cool..
I myself dint try it..sry.

SealLion
20.09.08, 07:29
divlord: Anything that is under GPL is cool, but not everything that is under GPL is a good proggy. Thats all I am trying to say in my post above. Others may like ClamWin. I just don't. Thats all.

cDDDe
20.09.08, 19:08
Currently use the full package of Avira Premium :top:, I like, acquire a license for a longer time.
Antivirus for free, some are good, but not enough. My opinion.

anon
20.09.08, 23:45
@SealLion: divlord has stated that ClamWin doesn't have a real-time scanner, I'm sure that's why it didn't do anything despite the large amount of malware that had been installed in your computer, or do you mean that it didn't remove anything even after a full scan?
You're right about the personal experience thing though, there's nothing better than checking out stuff yourself. :wink:

And when you test so much things (I'm saying "much" instead or "many" to emphasize this, lol) like I do, you'll eventually find a lot of badware that can install and run itself right under a fully up-to-date NOD's nose. :wink:

@divlord: that was just his personal opinion, I'm completely sure he meant no offense :smile:

@cDDDe: I have used AntiVir loooooong ago in my K6-2, back when you hBEDv owned it instead of Avira, it was just an anti-virus instead of a full suite, and could be downloaded at www.free-av.com. Good memories :biggrin:

Aurion
27.09.08, 00:39
Thanks dude for this worthy find,but IMO nothing beats up KS at all especially with it's daily (every 5 hours) updated definitions

anon
27.09.08, 00:56
I update NOD32's definitions once every 5 hours, too. Or else your PC lags if an update is available :redface:

Aurion
30.09.08, 01:16
I update NOD32's definitions once every 5 hours, too. Or else your PC lags if an update is available :redface:

used to have NOD32 installed in my PC for a couple of years but don't know why I didn't like it after a while....lots of bugs issues especially with Online Games (GameGuard too is always detected as a security hole when NOD is turned on,that doesn't happen with KS at all,light as a feather)..so gave up on it long time ago...I'm very good with KS now

anon
30.09.08, 14:17
Well, GG is technically a rootkit. :/
But have you tried to exclude the games' folders from the realtime monitor at that time?
What I like about NOD32 is that it's very fast due to being largely written in ASM...

Aurion
02.10.08, 19:15
yeah..but sometimes you just need to work professionally without changing anything in your PC so why bother using NOD but changing some stuff & replacing,moving some folders just to get it work...nah,Kaspersky is perfectly designed to provide the most security a user ever dream of without changing a bit :top:

anon
02.10.08, 19:20
So you're saying Kaspersky owns because it doesn't detect a rootkit as such? ^^

Aurion
02.10.08, 19:22
So you're saying Kaspersky owns because it doesn't detect a rootkit as such? ^^

man read my words carefully :wink:

anon
02.10.08, 19:23
I posted because I did :wink:

Aurion
02.10.08, 19:25
lol then you shouldn't have asked that question already :tongue:

anon
02.10.08, 19:32
OK, whatever, but I still don't understand ^^
Unless with "changing some stuff and replacing, moving some folders just to get it [to] work" you mean how the infinite update patch must be applied... :smile:

Aurion
12.10.08, 18:37
yeah...but in some rare cases you just need to do the update manually especially if you are into AV updated definitions & don't want to miss that last one which might fix some of your old bugs...that's why I just love to depend & hang out with KIS....pure EASY !

anon
12.10.08, 20:29
I understand now...
Glad I've never had that issue with NOD32 so far. :wink:

Aurion
13.10.08, 18:24
Yeah,still some folks just Love NOD32 despite those lousey Bugs/Errors...it's a matter of taste you know :tongue:

anon
13.10.08, 18:29
I'm one of those users... never got any problems with NOD32 so far since I switched to it...

Aurion
13.10.08, 18:47
OK then just NJoy using it mate....since i'm a very proud user of KIS which means pure OWNAGE ! :tongue:

anon
13.10.08, 18:50
Mmm, as you like it so much, I guess I will get it and check it out, too... it's now downloading :smile:

Aurion
13.10.08, 19:24
If you needed any Keys tell me :wink: