PDA

View Full Version : Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway

kazuya
17.09.08, 12:40
Release: Sep 30, 2008

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway looks set to carve a niche for itself in the overcrowded World War II genre. But Ubisoft and Gearbox's insistence on qualifying its historical accuracy is becoming rather jarring. We were recently invited to central London to meet veterans of Operation Market Garden, the battle that features prominently in the game. The ex-servicemen offered their personal take on their involvement in the turning point of the second world war, which was both fascinating and moving to hear. The problem is that the game wants it both ways--it clearly wants to honour the soldiers, but it can't help glamourising the act of war itself. Take the first level, for example, where we managed to score a headshot on an unlucky German. The camera moves from the first-person perspective toward a third-person view of your victim, at which point the directors of The Matrix take over and frame the blood-splattering, cranium-popping spectacle in painstaking slow-motion detail. On the second level, the same viewpoint is used to highlight the damage of a grenade as the explosion sent the limbs of two soldiers spiraling off in every angle.

If you're not surrounded by war vets, though, Hells Highway looks like it will be a more entertaining experience. The game has great cinematics with the obligatory Band of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan cinematography, while the excellent tutorial mission eases you into the game's cover-based combat system. It's heavily based on the "find, fix, flank, finish" combat style actually employed during the war, which means you have to pin your enemy down and then attack from a different angle to finish him off. You can use your teammates in either the fixing or flanking role, but you need to fire at the enemy until the red circle above his head turns gray to indicate he's been pinned down.

YouTube - Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway new trailer PS3 X360 PC

yoco
17.09.08, 14:01
I can't wait for this game. The trailer looks amazing, gameplay aswell, everything just looks awsome. I hope that it won't dissapoint in the end :biggrin:

Aurion
20.09.08, 01:26
didn't like any of the old parts at all,the story IMO wasn't that good for such a WWII game compared to COD/MOH

MrPeelo
11.10.08, 19:01
Now that I've played the game for a while I can give you some of my impressions of it. Haven't tried multiplayer yet though.

Gameplay is based on the cover system that's akin to what we've seen in Rainbow Six Vegas games, so no surprises on that front.

The damage system is (unfortunately) also similar what we've seen in recent shooters with the allpowerful Auto-heal. This combined with the cover system turns the game into something like this: Take cover, peek & shoot, get hit while shooting, hide back behind cover, wait for your mutant healing powers to kick in -> Repeat ad nauseum.

When the AI squadmates go down, you'll be without them until you reach the next checkpoint or clear out the remaining enemies...though I really didn't pay that much attention to this, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I would have liked to see something new for a change.

The AI is not as dumb as I had expected. Both the squad and the enemy AI get behind cover automatically and if the cover they're behind is destroyed they'll run behind another cover. I haven't seen the enemy AI using grenades even once. Your squadmates only use grenades when you order them to.

Another thing I haven't seen is the enemies trying to flank or rush you. There's no real challenge from the AI at all. They just stay at their positions and wait for you to finish them off.

Graphically, the game looks OK. At times the game looks like something from 2003 with very poor lighting, other times it looks like an acceptable console port...but that's about it.

I'll have to see if I can bother replaying the game on Authentic difficulty after finishing the campaign on normal, maybe there are some surprises there.

Overall the game feels solid and I haven't noticed any major bugs nor problems...As it is, I'd rate this one 6.5/10.

Aurion
12.10.08, 01:24
Graphically, the game looks OK. At times the game looks like something from 2003 with very poor lighting, other times it looks like an acceptable console port...but that's about it.

hmmm,this is the bad thing about Brothers In Arms,that I don't like at all,they just don't want to implement new techniques while building up the main game's engine core which sux,already posted in all previous parts of the game...so I guess your rating is quite good since I already saw that coming before even playing the game :top:

MrPeelo
12.10.08, 08:29
so I guess your rating is quite good since I already saw that coming before even playing the game :top:
Yeah, you're right...and the rating as such isn't really even a bad rating, just an above average one. I really don't subscribe to the "80-points-for-an-average-game" rating system that game sites & magazines like to use.

I've gotten a couple of more missions into the game and it's getting pretty repetive at this point. I doubt I'll be playing this game more than the one playthrough.

yoco
12.10.08, 09:36
I haven't play the game, but have read people are saying what MrPeelo said, graphics looks great, gameplay not so much. I'm gonna play it anyway someday :biggrin:

MrPeelo
12.10.08, 15:20
Looks like I'll be taking back some of this. :biggrin:

While at the early parts of the game the lighting is between awful and ok, there are times during the later rainy night missions when the game looks spectacular. I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised. Looks like they've learned to take advantage of UE3 as they've progressed with the development.

I'll be completing the game just because the story is (so far at least) better than your average WW2 shooter...Unfortunately the gameplay is just so tedious that it sucks the joy out of the whole thing.

Aurion
13.10.08, 19:51
I guess then the guys over studios should take care of graphical aspects more than just pulling stings in the story line....most of the WW2 games are more likely the same regarding the story,they can't change nothing in History books of what actually happened during the war...the thing is that they should instead concentrate more on the graphical environment & character details that gamer feel during gameplay experience