PDA

View Full Version : The Secrets of a Running A BitTorrent Tracker

anon
14.09.08, 20:04
Most site admins go about their business in secret, which makes it difficult for enthusiastic outsiders to make the leap from user to site owner, since they can’t get the benefit of the accrued knowledge of others. Now that has changed with TorrentFries - a unique website demystifying the running of a tracker.

The Secrets of a Running A BitTorrent Tracker | TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com/the-secrets-of-a-running-a-bittorrent-tracker-080914/)

SealLion
14.09.08, 21:14
LOL. I always thought about opening some torrent site of my own; informing everyone here about my new site and all; and get super popular as a result of it.

LOL. The place would be chock-full of cheaters, like you guys {and me}and not to forget mentioning all the ratio dead-beats. .....not a good idea after all.

LOL. :klatsch_3::tongue:

anon
14.09.08, 21:35
LOL. I always thought about opening some torrent site of my own; informing everyone here about my new site and all; and get super popular as a result of it.

tracker.sb-innovation.de? :biggrin:
We're already regarded as "the true autority in cheating", so my guess is that if we opened a tracker we'd just need to sit down and relax as someone finds out and the news spread. :cool2:

LOL. The place would be chock-full of cheaters, like you guys {and me}and not to forget mentioning all the ratio dead-beats. .....not a good idea after all.

Hey, at least we'd be right when saying things like "we know cheating, we're familiar with cheating, we know the patterns, etc... you WILL get caught and you WILL get banned!, etc." because, unlike at some trackers, this is the absolute truth. :cool2:

LOL. :klatsch_3::tongue:

You said it :tongue:

:5585:

SealLion
14.09.08, 22:55
Hey, at least we'd be right when saying things like "we know cheating, we're familiar with cheating, we know the patterns, etc... you WILL get caught and you WILL get banned!, etc." because, unlike at some trackers, this is the absolute truth.

I LMAOF so hard after reading that. That would totally be true.

How did you do that 'spoiler LOL'

...no idea how that was done. It was an interesting surprise.

anon
14.09.08, 23:05
I LMAOF so hard after reading that. That would totally be true.

Glad my post made you laugh :top:

How did you do that 'spoiler LOL'

...no idea how that was done. It was an interesting surprise.

The code for the LOL smiley is

:5585:
Write it in your post. Highlight it and click the "SPOILER tag" icon in the toolbar (inmediately to the left of the YouTube logo). You'll be asked for "the parameters for the spoiler tag". That's where you enter the text in italics that's next to "Spoiler:" (I entered an ellipsis). If you don't want anything to appear there, just type a blank space ( ) and press OK.

You now have a "spoiler LOL". :tongue:

Of course you can enter anything instead of the smiley, and it'll appear in the same way after someone clicks the "show spoiler" button. :wink:

It's fun to pass messages this way :smile:

shoulder
14.09.08, 23:06
This is the code of the spoiler.

[*spoiler="name of the spoiler"]spoilered content[/spoiler]
(Without the *)

e// anon was faster :biggrin:

anon
14.09.08, 23:12
spoilered content

It still shows up in vBSpy as normal text :cool2:

e// anon was faster :biggrin:

:biggrin:

shoulder
14.09.08, 23:16
It still shows up in vBSpy as normal text :cool2:
Yes, that's volitional.
There you should write the content you want to spoiler, therefore I named it "spoilered content". :tongue:

Or did I get you wrong? :biggrin:

anon
14.09.08, 23:22
Maybe :biggrin:
Have a look at this:
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/2575/spoilerhi2.gif
"spoilered content" is of course what you've put between SPOILER tags in your post. But it showed up as normal, untagged text in vBSpy (anything between []'s also doesn't appear), so if it had been a real, serious spoiler, I'd have seen it without even making what vBulletin calls "a conscious effort to click the 'show' button and see the text that has clearly been flagged as a spoiler" :tongue:

shoulder
14.09.08, 23:32
Looks like vBSpy doesn't "convert" tags.

I think content between [ ... ] doesn't show up, and like you see, smilies are also displayed as "code".

But enough OT here, we have to abuse the E+ area to test such things. :biggrin:

anon
14.09.08, 23:37
Looks like vBSpy doesn't "convert" tags.

I think content between [ ... ] doesn't show up, and like you see, smilies are also displayed as "code".

That's right :top:
For example, those ellipsis you've placed between square brackets also didn't show up... but it must be a vBulletin "feature", because if you put text between []'s in posts, they also don't count towards the 10-char limit - try to post something like [aaaaaaaaaa] alone and you will see :tongue:

But enough OT here, we have to abuse the E+ area to test such things. :biggrin:

You're right with that :smile: