PDA

View Full Version : Teen phenom wins U.S open junior tiltle

zatoicchi
12.09.08, 11:04
When Coco Vandeweghe turned professional last spring she said she was going to take a nice-and-easy approach to getting herself some notice in women's tennis. The plan was not to rush and enter every ITF tournament, grab all the points she could for a high ranking and try and become an overnight sensation.

The problem is Vandeweghe's talent got in the way of her plan. She is an overnight sensation.

Vandewghe does not seem pleased with a call made at the U.S. Open
The 16-year-old from Carlsbad, Calif., has made a quick jump, in just five months, becoming the first U.S. junior player in 13 years to win the U.S. Open junior title. Vandeweghe also became the first player to win the tournament as a wild card when she beat Venezuela's Gabriela Paz, 7-6, 6-1, in the final last Sunday in New York.

"This tournament, everything fell together, all the things I had been practicing came together and I figured out what I have been trying to do all these last couple of months," Vandeweghe said. "I kind of figured it out at The Open and it's mostly a confidence booster more than anything."

It was quite a trip to New York for Vandeweghe. She was entered in the main draw of the U.S. Open and faced the No. 2 player in the world, Jelena Jankovic. On center court of Arthur Ashe Stadium, on opening night, Vandeweghe won four games from Jankovic, but lost the match, 6-3, 6-1.

Rivals High - Teen phenom wins U.S. Open Junior Title (http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=849189)