PDA

View Full Version : Diaz wins split decision against Katsidis

zatoicchi
08.09.08, 04:16
HOUSTON (AP)—Local favorite Juan Diaz scored a close split decision in 12 rounds over Australia’s Michael Katsidis for the IBO world lightweight title Saturday night.

Two judges scored it 115-113 and 116-112 for Diaz while the third had Katsidis winning 115-113.

“I’m feeling great,” Diaz said. “I’m real excited to be back on top. I was concerned when they read the first score and I think it was my jab that won the fight for me. I hurt him and I busted him up.”

Diaz (34-1), known as the “Baby Bull” of Houston, and Katsidis (23-2) each suffered their first career defeats last March while at the same time, losing their lightweight title belts against Nate Campbell and Joel Cassamayor respectively.

“This time I did what my corner told me to do,” Diaz said. “Katsidis is a tough customer. He’s hard and very powerful. However, my skills gave me the victory.

Diaz wins split decision against Katsidis (http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AgYpnRqxuhtnstDm9GDMoQiUxLYF?slug=ap-diaz-katsidis&prov=ap&type=lgns)