PDA

View Full Version : UFC 88 notes: KO causes chain reaction

zatoicchi
08.09.08, 04:08
Rashad Evans’ overhand right to the jaw of Chuck Liddell on Saturday night will not only wind up on the UFC’s all-time highlight reel, but it landed Evans the next light heavyweight title shot.

“Me, Lorenzo and Joe Silva decided tonight that Rashad would get the next shot,” said UFC president Dana White at the news conference after UFC 88 at the Phillips Arena in Atlanta.

The current plan is for the first championship match in history that involves two winners of the “Ultimate Fighter.” Season one winner and current champion Forrest Griffin defends against Evans (12-0-1), the season two winner, tentatively Dec. 27 in Las Vegas as part of a double headliner along with the Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir match for the interim heavyweight championship.

“I’m very happy I’m getting the title match,” said Evans, who moments earlier had talked about being willing to be patient about getting a shot. “I’m still living in the moment (of beating Chuck Liddell). I haven’t put any thought into it.”

Evans’ second-round KO punch may have been the most expensive blow in UFC history, and that’s got nothing to do with the $60,000 bonus Evans got for the best knockout of the night.

UFC 88 notes: KO causes chain reaction (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Atpano4y83rHE_a6SRfgNwI9Eo14?slug=dm-notes090708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)