PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 must avoid the marketing trap that Vista stumbled into

zatoicchi
31.08.08, 11:54
I’ve been following the Engineering Windows 7 blog closely and I’ve come to the conclusion that while Steven Sinofsky is a man of many words, those words don’t say an awful lot. However, the other day Sinofsky did say something quite interesting:

We heard lots on this forum about providing specific versions of Windows customized for different audiences, while we also heard quite a bit about the need to reduce the number of versions of Windows. However, there are limits to what we can provide and at the same time provide a reliable “platform” that customers and developers can count on and is robust and manageable for a broad set of customers. [emphasis added]

This is the trap that Windows Vista fell into, thanks to marketing. Here you have an OS that comes in four retail flavors (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate), but the differences between these editions comes down to little more than arbitrary decisions made for the sake of marketing and being able to sell existing users an upgrade. For example, someone made the decision that home users were idiots and wouldn’t want a complete backup and restore feature, and that business users wouldn’t want to make DVDs. Given this, and what Sinofsky says about needing to provide a reliable platform, I really can’t understand how the Vista experience ended up being smeared over four editions.

Windows 7 must avoid the marketing trap that Vista stumbled into | Hardware 2.0 (http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2464)

anon
31.08.08, 19:19
For example, someone made the decision that home users were idiots and wouldn’t want a complete backup and restore feature

And that they would do just fine with 2 max half-open connections also :rolleyes2:

SealLion
01.09.08, 04:17
Is that what was given for Vista users??

for xp, it was around 50 or so before that one patch {forgot the URL of the website} allowed one to open the half open connections to 100 or more, yes??

anon
01.09.08, 14:12
Is that what was given for Vista users??

Yes. I don't know about other editions, but Vista Home has a maximum of 2 max half-open connections, and Vista Ultimate, 25.

for xp, it was around 50 or so before that one patch {forgot the URL of the website} allowed one to open the half open connections to 100 or more, yes??

The patch's URL is www.lvllord.de (http://www.lvllord.de/).
In XP SP1 and below, the max half-open connections amount was unlimited, I think. But after SP2, they were limited to 10.

Aurion
01.09.08, 21:48
I think MS should get over those silly mechandise based extensions that it makes with almost every OS it creates to the market,just to cash in loads of bux to feel that it served the human being in a way no one every done before

SealLion
02.09.08, 02:19
I think MS should get over those silly mechandise based extensions that it makes with almost every OS it creates to the market,just to cash in loads of bux to feel that it served the human being in a way no one every done before

I LOL'd at this, Aurion. I really did.

Especially this:
....just to cash in loads of bux to feel that it served the human being in a way no one every done before

Interesting comment I would say. :tongue::biggrin:

anon
02.09.08, 20:22
Well, hopefully so it'll be [for the better], don't you think, SealLion? :tongue:

SealLion
03.09.08, 01:18
Oh, boy. Yes I do.

Nobody
03.09.08, 08:15
It seems like most of the restrictions and limitations they put on different versions are to force users to upgrade. Microsoft needs to understand that using software as the hinge upon which to force users to upgrade is no longer a profitable business model.

First, they need to understand is that their software is easily modified. It's the most used operating system on the face of the planet. It's not like they have a niche market or a small userbase that's not motivated. If it's not there or is lacking a feature, someone will find a way to add it to what they have without having to pay.

Secondly, and most importantly is that you can't make arbitrary decisions to limit your operating systems functions in order to force people to upgrade. I understand that you feel you need differentiate the levels of the OS in order to wring as much money from legitimate users as possible--but please, don't slap is in the face while doing so. Limiting features people expect is not helping your business.

There are other operating systems that are happy to provide full functionality for free. Upgrading from premium to ultimate? Here's some feelgood options and bright flashy moving desktop background to subdue you. Oh and if you spend more money we'll have one of the richest men in the world sign it. Who are the marketing people who thought this was a good idea? He's a rich man, not a rock star. The majority of people who your selling this to despise the absurdly rich. And the fact that the man who just served you a plate of O.S. B.S. signed the box is just a kick in the teeth.

Aurion
03.09.08, 16:44
@Nobody: this is the core of the Business term (if you are familiar with it) dude,just finding the easiest sneakiest ways to cash in real quick !!