PDA

View Full Version : Qwest’s Unofficial 250 GB Data Cap

anon
30.08.08, 17:51
Today, Comcast officially announced a 250 GB cap, while threatening to disconnect users who exceed this limit more than once. Comcast is taking the heat once again, but they are not the only ISP that limits its users. Other ISPs, Qwest being one of them, have exactly the same policy - and the same threats.

Qwest’s Unofficial 250 GB Data Cap | TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com/qwests-unofficial-250-gb-data-cap-080829/)

They only state (pdf) that “normal” subscribers use 1-3 GB a month ...

:stupid:
250GBs can be downloaded in a few days :rolleyes2:

Aurion
30.08.08, 18:39
WTF !! :shockkk!: 250GB... you got to be kidding me man,this is insane,I do 300GB in 2 weeks here turning my PC on for 24/7 !! what about those with 20MB+ lines.... man somebody should do something to stop those suckers,good one should do !

anon
30.08.08, 18:49
Yes, someone will have to do something about this.
At first 250GB may sound like 'a lot', specially for 'normal' users, but if you're a heavy downloader that amount can be hit in less than a month. The same applies for people that watch a lot of videos online or use virtual disk services to store and retrieve their files.
I remember once a DSL ISP here wanted to limit users to 4GB a month, but after the extremely negative output from their suscribers they had to change their mind :wink:

Aurion
30.08.08, 19:10
LOl Im considered a fucking heavy downloader,every day I look at my Inet stats,I see 7GB+ floating out & 5GB+ in !! LOL this is insane,thank GOD im in a free country like mine :klatsch_3:

anon
30.08.08, 19:26
Wow :biggrin:
Do you have a live bandwidth monitor like DU Meter or something to know that?

Aurion
31.08.08, 20:20
Wow :biggrin:
Do you have a live bandwidth monitor like DU Meter or something to know that?

nah,the normal two tiny screens @ the system tray bar beside the clock !! also I know stats from Netlimiter that I use to cap my speeds at certain times

anon
31.08.08, 20:28
Ah yes of course, NetLimiter has stats ^^
And I don't have the two-monitors icon enabled, but it counts in/out packets, not bytes/KBs...

Aurion
31.08.08, 23:03
yeah sure,I know that :wink: I was talking about netlimiter,it's a good bandwith meter/capper tool

anon
31.08.08, 23:05
netlimiter,it's a good bandwith meter/capper tool

For "adding" 1kB upload to uTorrent? :tongue:

Aurion
31.08.08, 23:08
nah,It's just a measuring tool dude !! just show stats of what going in/out your line

anon
31.08.08, 23:10
Maybe, but the Pro version can also limit every program's global download and upload speed, that's why it's called NetLimiter...

Aurion
02.09.08, 08:39
LOL dude,you just love to dig up Wiki's database tho :biggrin: yeah that's the one im using for sure,the PRO version is better than the classic one since you can totally cap every bandwith activity whenever you like

anon
02.09.08, 20:38
No, just knew NetLimiter from before, because I have made some experiments with it myself. :wink:
In some places it's a less frowned upon way to temporarily minimize your BT client's upload speed to a minimum, to let you do an(other) important task requiring bandwidth, while you're still able to keep it downloading. All of this because they can't link to SB-I :biggrin:

Aurion
03.09.08, 23:36
heheh... yeah it becomes handy in times of needing extra bandwith while using speed sucker like a BT Client,still it's good with multi sessions too when downloading some music files (reminds me with old days,when I used to have like 6 IDM sessions @ once while surfing Hi5 LOL)

anon
03.09.08, 23:55
Yep, Internet download accelerators working at full speed can be a real bandwidth hog :tongue:
But now you can double click a torrent and tick the "no upload" checkbox to solve your problems :top:

Aurion
04.09.08, 09:05
hehe...yeah,but still that "no upload" function cripples down the overall downloading speed since a good torrent bandwith should be based on both simulatounsly upload & download speeds without capping or removing the other party !! (based on experience if you ticked that no upload function,the download speed gets affected)

anon
04.09.08, 21:00
Well, yes, "no upload" also decreases your download speed because of BitTorrent's tit-for-tat scheme (unless there are a lot of seedboxes in the swarm :biggrin:).

But as a temporary solution it works fine.
Some people have upload speeds of 16kbs or less, and limiting it to just 6kbs (the minimum uTorrent will allow without limiting your upload) already causes their connection to lag and pages to load slowly... :redface:

Aurion
07.09.08, 17:42
Which in that case won't make such a big difference tho,just keep it as long as you know you aren't on a free upload slot bag in ur tracker :tongue:

anon
07.09.08, 20:10
Yea well, maybe there isn't too much difference between 6kB/s and no upload when you have a lot of bandwidth :tongue:

But when you need 0-Up for security reasons, 6kbs aren't enough :redface: