PDA

View Full Version : Firefox to get massive JavaScript performance boost

zatoicchi
24.08.08, 13:17
Mozilla is leveraging an impressive new optimization technique to bring a big performance boost to the Firefox JavaScript engine. The code was merged today (but is not yet ready to be enabled by default in the nightly builds) and is planned for inclusion in Firefox 3.1, the next incremental update of the open-source web browser.
I discussed this new optimization strategy with Mozilla's VP of engineering Mike Shaver and Mozilla CTO Brendan Eich, the creator of JavaScript. They are concerned that sophisticated web applications are being held back by the limitations of JavaScript interpreter performance. They aim to improve execution speed so that it is comparable to that of native code. This will redefine the boundaries of client-side performance and enable the development of a whole new generation of more computationally-intensive web applications.

Firefox to get massive JavaScript performance boost (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080822-firefox-to-get-massive-javascript-performance-boost.html)

Aurion
24.08.08, 19:45
wooow,they have just released their major core,and now they have a fully new update with a super Java implementation engine !! This is nice,I guess lots of Bugs will decrease tho right after this update :top:

anon
25.08.08, 00:02
@Reppy: vBulletin (the board software SB-I runs) is very JavaScript-intensive, to save bandwidth and provide extra features like quick reply or the dropdown menus in the header, so in the next update you'll "feel" the forum faster :top:

Aurion
27.08.08, 21:19
yeah sure,such boards based on Java platforms should get a bit lighter,since you know with low-end PCs Java makes the PC just bowls !! So hope they release a decent version

anon
27.08.08, 21:33
you know with low-end PCs Java makes the PC just bowls !!

Yep, that's one of the Java downsides, its a bit high CPU usage. But it makes up for it with Java code being able to run in any OS (with the corresponding VM of course).

Logitech
27.08.08, 21:42
java != javascript

anon
27.08.08, 21:44
We know :smile: As a matter of fact, I think the only relation between JS and Java are the first 4 letters. :biggrin:
But you know how this is, a Java chat sprung up from his post... :tongue:

Logitech
27.08.08, 21:50
Yea aurion started about talking Java and that's the reason why I typed java != javascript, because this thread is about javascript.

anon
27.08.08, 21:53
The thread is about JS, our chat isn't. :biggrin:
But you're right ;)