View Full Version : cinema-obscura

zatoicchi
15.08.08, 05:34
))<403>(( ..forever...

anyone knows what happen to them? i think they are down forever :frown::frown:

anon
15.08.08, 14:15
Just checked the site, same for me.
Wonder what they mean with "403 forever". HTTP 403 is "forbidden" but I doubt that has something to do with this, they can't ban everybody for no reason...

Aurion
15.08.08, 16:39
yeah same here too,LOL maybe someone hacked their database or something !! anyway they should announce for their down reason if they really had any network issues

shadowsofvibrate
15.08.08, 21:09
Maybe it has something to do with the olympics. You know they stopped all posting to the forums because of the chi com thought cops I guess.:confused2:

Ranger6
15.08.08, 23:11
Shortly before they went down, someone upped "Lust/Caution", the Ang Lee film. It was the uncut version the Chinese banned within their borders. Some of the members expressed concern about attracting the wrath of their servers' hosts.

Don't know if that's what happened. I've been a grateful lurker and infrequent poster over there, but the timing was...curious. Lets hope they relax after the Olympics!

zatoicchi
16.08.08, 03:31
some info from another invite tracker

From Cinema obscura
I am Hu. The police told us ,your domain 'cinema-obscura.com' has some problem(some messages leave by your consumers on your website that againting government or sex and so on...),so clear them as soon as possible,before we be in trouble.
the police did not tell me the detail . so , check your website , with your wife . I think everthing will be ok, right ?

merry X'mas to your family.
        致
礼!
==========================================

Therefore, the forums are closed until further notice. I am trying to get more information as to what pissed off the Chinese government, but that will take until tomorrow at the very earliest. Administrators can still get into the forums, but I've demoted all Admins except me and Slpyhd until we can fix this thing... no offense to anyone intended, but the Chinese typically sniff traffic to find violations of this kind, so we just can't have anyone in the forums at all right now unless they're working on the site and are aware of the problem.

Hopefully this won't be the end of CO... but if it is, we've still got Secret Cinema, and we can simply move our forums here (or elsewhere).

midibullets
16.08.08, 15:12
This is not the first time this has happened. And C.O. owner would not close it without a heads up. Keep in mind C.O. uses a Chinese Server, so they are slave to its rules. With the Olympics and all, government and hackers alike are out to shut things down that are questionable.

Plus the fact is says "403 forever" is a taunt, so i'm led to beleive it was hacked, and will be back up after the Olympics, if not sooner.

SealLion
16.08.08, 15:36
quite honestly. When I read 'forever', I thought that I had finally been caught b/c I cheated quite tremendously late last week. Though now that I hear this news in this thread, its kind of a relief knowing that I didn't get caught. Though its also disappointing knowing that CO had to get shut down.

by the way. Does anyone know the URL of secret cinema???

o

anon
16.08.08, 19:47
www.secret-cinema.com leads to this...

We since moved to Cinema Obscura
Ask on IRC for invites

Firefox users can install this IRC extension and chat with us by clicking a link below:
#cinemaobscura (preferred, encrypted connection, accept the certificate)
#cinemaobscura (normal connection)

Alternatively you can download your favourite IRC client and use the following settings:

network
irc.brokensphere.net

port
6665,6666,6667 or 7000 (normal)
6697 (SSL secured)

channel
#cinemaobscura

Speak to you soon.

shadowsofvibrate
16.08.08, 23:12
thanks for the info .I feel more positive they will be back .They are one of the best for underground outsider torrents.

SealLion
18.08.08, 06:28
Has anyone had any news re: further development??

I am assuming the place will wait till the olympics are over though.

junkme
18.08.08, 18:37
"))<>(( forever" is from the film 'Me and You and Everyone We Know'.
it means "pooing back and forth forever".

The 403 error is a reference to that.

SealLion
22.08.08, 07:32
I guess its pretty much official: CO is history. I do read on the front page that there is an effort to ressurrect it.

Though I have no idea if/when that'll ever happen.

thats really too bad about the site. It was an EXCELLENT tracker.

go to http://www.cinema-obscura.com/
and you'll see what I mean.

I am wondering about this other website here: http://www.cinemaobscuradvd.com/
is this the attempt to ressurect CO??

does anyone know...or is it a different website alltogether???

PS...what does 'motis' mean??

o

anon
22.08.08, 17:41

o

As used in the current C-O.com page, it's probably the admin's nickname...

Ranger6
23.08.08, 20:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SealLion View Post

o
As used in the current C-O.com page, it's probably the admin's nickname...

Yep, Motis was the main man at CO, usually posting with a byline of 'Mr. Preznit'.

It really cheeses me off that a few yahoos have killed one of the best film sites around. I hope they do find a way to re-up the torrents. Otherwise, the community has lost a great resource.

@SealLion:

That cinemaobscuradvd site is an independent film distributor releasing funky films primarily to Amazon and Netflix. Some interesting stuff to buy, but no replacement for CO!

SealLion
24.08.08, 05:38
Thanks ranger for the info on the dvd website. :smile:

I also am fairly cheesed off about the site going down due to a few yahoos. I don't like it either.

CO was a very, very distinct site with very distinct material that you just don't find everywhere. Its as distinct as KG.

woodrat
17.10.08, 21:01
Torrents (http://www.secret-cinema.net/browse.php) :wink:

leroy 27
22.10.08, 01:19
cinema obscura is now known as secret-cinema and they have alot of good content there if your into rare and hard to find movies.