PDA

View Full Version : Angry Swede throws down medal, quits

zatoicchi
14.08.08, 21:00
BEIJING, Aug 14 (Reuters) - Swedish wrestler Ara Abrahamian threw down his greco-roman bronze medal in protest on Thursday after his bid for Olympic gold was ended by a decision denounced by the Swedish coach as “politics.”

Abrahamian took the bronze from around his neck during the medal ceremony, stepped from the podium and dropped it in the middle of the wrestling mat then walked off.

“I don’t care about this medal. I wanted gold,” he said.

A bitter Abrahamian, silver medalist at Athens 2004 who had high hopes of top honors in the 84kg competition in Beijing, announced he was quitting the sport.

“This will be my last match. I wanted to take gold, so I consider this Olympics a failure,” he said.

The Swedish wrestler had to be restrained by teammates earlier when a row erupted with judges over the decision in a semifinal bout at the Chinese Agricultural University Gym with Andrea Minguzzi of Italy, who went on the take gold.

Angry Swede throws down medal, quits (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/news?slug=reu-wrestling&prov=reuters&type=lgns)

anon
14.08.08, 21:20
Well, it is frustrating to prepare and train for a gold medal and not getting it, but from that to dropping a bronze... being 3rd between the best in the world isn't bad at all IMO.

gokhan
14.08.08, 22:35
Well, it is frustrating to prepare and train for a gold medal and not getting it, but from that to dropping a bronze... being 3rd between the best in the world isn't bad at all IMO.

If sbys really working hard and has a goal it would differ. For example my friends wanted to go to harvard but he onlu maded Coloumbia. When i saw him he was like crying

WHAT A LOSER:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

anon
14.08.08, 22:55
LOL ^^
He may not have gone to Harvard but he got somewhere, and that's important :)

Snakedoctor
14.08.08, 23:17
after his bid for Olympic gold was ended by a decision denounced by the Swedish coach as “politics.”

I think his most angry due to the quote above.