PDA

View Full Version : Serena, Venus Williams advance at Olympics

zatoicchi
12.08.08, 11:01
BEIJING (AP)—For Serena Williams, the only misstep Tuesday at the Olympics came after her match. Reaching toward a courtside railing to sign autographs, she slipped and nearly fell into the photographers’ pit.

That’s the closest she came to being eliminated. Before the stumble, Williams defeated Samantha Stosur of Australia 6-2, 6-0 in 44 minutes.

Sister Venus soon joined Serena in the third round, beating Iveta Benesova of the Czech Republic 6-1, 6-4.

The Williamses are trying to add to the family Olympic medal collection. They won the gold in doubles at Sydney in 2000, and Venus won the singles that year.

“I’ve never played singles at the Olympics, so this has been really cool for me,” Serena said. “Every time I walk out there, it’s like I’m playing in my match, but at the same time I have the whole U.S. team on my side. It’s good. I really like that feeling.”

Serena, Venus Williams advance at Olympics (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/tennis/news?slug=ap-ten-tennis&prov=ap&type=lgns)