PDA

View Full Version : Roddick beats Vemic in Countrywide Classic

zatoicchi
08.08.08, 09:36
LOS ANGELES (AP)—Top seed Andy Roddick earned a 6-2, 6-2 win over Dusan Vemic of Serbia in the second round of the Countrywide Classic on Thursday night.

Roddick’s easy win capped a day in which former NCAA champion Amer Delic upset No. 7 seed Carlos Moya, 6-2, 6-7 (5), 7-6 (5); 19-year-old Argentine Juam Martin del Potro, the third seed, beat Italian qualifier Andrea Stoppini, 6-4, 6-2; and March Gicquel of France beat 19-year-old American Donald Young, 6-3, 6-3.

Roddick, who had withdrawn from last week’s tournament at Cincinnati with neck and shoulder problems, said he had no problems in either area during the 73-minute match. He said it was a good way to return, even though Vemic’s style made it hard for Roddick to assess his own game.

“He plays a little wild with the drops and slices,” Roddick said. “I wasn’t expecting a lot of rhythm and I don’t think I got much. It’s a good strategy for him, but it’s tough to actually win a match like that. To be able to get through rather straightforward was a good thing.”

Delic, a 6-foot-5 right-hander, who is playing in his fifth ATP Tour event of the year, served well in the 2-hour, 18-minute match, hitting 14 aces and saving four break points while capitalizing on all four chances to break Moya. The 31-year-old Moya had reached the quarterfinals at Cincinnati last week.

Roddick beats Vemic in Countrywide Classic (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=Ahgc3.1e3GXIz9LnCvlRy4Y4v7YF?slug=ap-losangeles&prov=ap&type=lgns)