PDA

View Full Version : Spain’s Nadal hoping for Olympic win in tennis

zatoicchi
06.08.08, 11:16
MADRID, Spain (AP)—Rafael Nadal has two major achievements so far this year— taking the Wimbledon title by beating Roger Federer in an epic final and stacking up enough wins to unseat the Swiss star atop the rankings.

Now the 22-year-old Spaniard is aiming to add Olympic glitter to his trophy room.

“I’m going to really enjoy the Olympic atmosphere, I’m sure, and I’m out to try and win a medal,” Nadal told The Associated Press in an exclusive telephone interview before catching a 13-hour flight to the Chinese capital. “It’s an honor to represent your country, and I look forward to taking part.”

In addition to Wimbledon and the French Open, Nadal has won the Conde de Godo, Hamburg, Monte Carlo, and Queen’s tournaments this year.

In two weeks Nadal will automatically appear on the Aug. 18 rankings as No. 1, breaking Federer’s record 235 consecutive weeks tenure.

“I feel pretty much as I did yesterday morning, or last year,” he said. “It’s another step in a long process which has taken a lot of very hard work and which really started coming together about four or five years ago.”

Nadal, who began playing tennis in the village of Manacor on his native Mediterranean island of Mallorca, said no one should underestimate Federer’s ability to fight back.

Spain's Nadal hoping for Olympic win in tennis (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/tennis/news;_ylt=Ao7xozz41MXm4TPlLrXBGjc4v7YF?slug=ap-ten--rafaelnadal&prov=ap&type=lgns)