PDA

View Full Version : Judge Hints at Mistrial in RIAA v. Jammie Thomas

zatoicchi
05.08.08, 09:04
DULUTH, Minnesota -- The federal judge who presided over the nation's only peer-to-peer copyright-infringement trial announced from the bench here Monday that he is likely to declare a mistrial.

"Certainly, I have sent a signal to both sides of where I'm headed," U.S. District Judge Michael Davis said during a 70-minute hearing in which lawyers for the Recording Industry Association of America and defendant Jammie Thomas sparred over whether a jury verdict against Thomas should be overturned.

At issue is whether the RIAA needs to prove that copyrighted music offered by a defendant on a peer-to-peer network was actually downloaded by anyone. During Thomas' trial last October, Davis, on the RIAA's recommendation, instructed (.pdf) the jury that no such proof was necessary; if Thomas had the music in her Kazaa shared folder, where it could be downloaded, she could be found liable "regardless of whether actual distribution has been shown."

But in May, long after Thomas had lost the trial and was dinged $222,000, Davis developed second thoughts. He wrote in an order that he may have committed a "manifest error" with that instruction. "I think I surprised everyone," Davis said at the outset of the Monday's hearing. As the hearing wrapped up, there was little evidence that the RIAA's lawyer had changed the judge's mind.

Judge Hints at Mistrial in RIAA v. Jammie Thomas (http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/08/judge-hints-at.html)

Aurion
09.08.08, 17:21
Davis developed second thoughts. He wrote in an order that he may have committed a "manifest error" with that instruction.

pss !! its getting insane here guys,everyone is trying to pull it out

anon
09.08.08, 22:13
At issue is whether the RIAA needs to prove that copyrighted music offered by a defendant on a peer-to-peer network was actually downloaded by anyone.

They need but won't... -.-

Aurion
12.08.08, 17:33
they are just convinced with what they do believe is right,this is the problem,to believe that you are always on the right side :rolling_eyes:

anon
12.08.08, 20:24
Yes; if you only take your own point of view in consideration there's no way you can be wrong :rolleyes2:

Aurion
13.08.08, 19:17
Yes; if you only take your own point of view in consideration there's no way you can be wrong :rolleyes2:

yeah sure its my own point of view but don't u think this what is going on ?? com'on !!

anon
13.08.08, 19:42
I do :wink:
I meant the RIAA, not you :smile:

Aurion
16.08.08, 18:42
I do :wink:
I meant the RIAA, not you :smile:

yeah sure I understand ur point,no offense my friend :wink: