PDA

View Full Version : EFF Tool Hunts BitTorrent Throttling ISPs

anon
02.08.08, 19:42
Comcast must feel it’s being attacked by all sides. It’s been hit by lawsuits, investigated by the FCC, and roundly criticised everywhere else. It has brought the issue of traffic shaping to the forefront of people’s minds, and into public discussion. Aiming to highlight ISP’s and their shaping, the EFF has released a new tool for users to test their connection’s integrity.

EFF Tool Hunts BitTorrent Throttling ISPs | TorrentFreak (http://torrentfreak.com/eff-tool-hunts-bittorrent-throttling-isps-080802/)

I'll have a look at it to see what it says about my ISP :smile:

Aurion
09.08.08, 17:46
nice to have such a tool to measure wether you are getting ur authorized speed or not !! now Comcast is alone in the dark :sm54::disabledbig7ly:

anon
09.08.08, 22:05
I'm sure this tool depends on some Windows service I have disabled... Ran it, some output, then I did things that are effectively throttled down for me (Youtube, Bittorrent downloads...), but nothing appeared in the window. I closed it, and it ended with a "no lost packets detected" or something like that. I know WinPcap has something to do with it but I have version 4.0.2 installed... :(

Aurion
12.08.08, 18:51
Well,lets see how that new tool would affect the overall connection stability (including throttling ips)

anon
12.08.08, 18:54
It probably goes crazy in PCs with a "normal" Windows install and Comcast as a ISP

Aurion
12.08.08, 18:57
Well,at least it will weakening Comcast's business for a while till they find a way thru this :biggrin:

anon
12.08.08, 19:30
They could simply block the host switzerland.eff.org , which is this tool's main test server, and even if someone had enough processing power and bandwidth to put up another server, they can also block it too while saying they don't just like they do with BT shaping...

Aurion
13.08.08, 19:28
Well,I don't think they will such thing since its not their own decision,they should have a warrant note/court permission to force such penalty

anon
13.08.08, 19:56
Well, it is true that completely blocking a host would be instantly noticed and would get CC in more trouble than it is now...
Just saying what they could do to prevent this tool from working and preventing even more "evidence" from being collected :biggrin:

Aurion
16.08.08, 18:46
Well,yeah they should do anything effective to stop this waste of time & energy,just to leave every Inet user alone & have his peace while surfing using the service he already payed for !!