PDA

View Full Version : Chinese HD format: It's blue, but not "Blu-ray"

zatoicchi
31.07.08, 04:37
A Chinese industry consortium is moving forward with plans to launch its own high-definition disc format, and the group has announced the beginning of volume production by the end of the year, DigiTimes reports. The whole venture, however, seems unlikely to succeed due to cost issues and lack of studio support.

Last September, the Optical Memory National Engineering Research Center announced that it was developing a new disc format called CH-DVD, to be released by the beginning of this year. Although remarkably similar to HD DVD, the new format purportedly would incorporate novel Chinese-derived technologies to separate it from the other technology. These technologies included "advanced copy protection technology" and Chinese-owned codecs for video and audio. China's manufacturers and its government seemed to be trying to minimize use of foreign intellectual property for cost saving and mercantilist reasons.

At the same time, though, they didn't hesitate to build on the progress of other HD technologies to the maximum extent possible, and the group ended up with a format similar to HD DVD. Chinese concerns had tried this trick in the past with other technologies, ranging from SD video discs to WiFi to office documents.

Chinese HD format: It's blue, but not "Blu-ray" (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080729-chinese-hd-format-its-blue-but-not-blu-ray.html)

Aurion
31.07.08, 20:13
LOL good to see new formats coming out !! I guess more revolutionary groups should hit the scene with new DVD formats !!

anon
31.07.08, 20:30
A "CHD" movie release, heh :tongue:

Every time more storage space in less physical space :smile: When it came to MicroSD cards I was just shocked at first, couldn't believe that a "bit of plastic" smaller than my nails held 4GB of space inside... :biggrin:

Aurion
31.07.08, 20:32
A "CHD" movie release, heh :tongue:

Every time more storage space in less physical space :smile: When it came to MicroSD cards I was just shocked at first, couldn't believe that a "bit of plastic" smaller than my nails held 4GB of space inside... :biggrin:

LOL technology OWNS Buddy :biggrin: we will notice microchips smaller than out hair

anon
31.07.08, 20:34
And that's how hard they'll be to find if you lose one when manufacturing a product :biggrin:

Aurion
31.07.08, 20:37
LOL yeah but for sure,they will find a way to find lost ones (for example setting magnetic field inside it so that any magnetic sensor can detect its location) :biggrin:

anon
31.07.08, 21:54
GPS inside the chips, if it gets lost in this planet it can be found :cool2: Of course give the customer a way to disable it :wink:

Aurion
31.07.08, 23:30
surely some kick a$$ hackers would happily find a sneak in to disable trackers set inside such devices :tongue:

anon
31.07.08, 23:32
Making the satellites think you're at 0,0,0 (wonder what that location would be :tongue:)

Aurion
31.07.08, 23:34
or just swap multiple of 1000s locations @ the same time,so that the tracker gets bugged up or ends crashing down :tongue:

Dagon
01.08.08, 00:09
there is one important reason for this. they can control what the people are watching. democracy is not really developed in china! think all or nearly all usern of this forum live in democratic country. our developed world depends on freedom and democracy. there belongs an independet economy and even independend media.

i like it that i can do what i like. good, the most of the people are too stupid to use their freedom. the average person dont know about reality and dont know what is happening.

Mfg Dagon

anon
01.08.08, 00:33
they can control what the people are watching.

If monitoring "code" was placed inside them, it'd be spotted sooner or later :top:

Manas
01.08.08, 11:39
How do you want to find it, if it's closed source?

China's only intentions with this new format are demonstrating power and earning money. I just hope it will fail.

Aurion
01.08.08, 15:45

China's only intentions with this new format are demonstrating power and earning money. I just hope it will fail.

not ONLY demonstration & money !! they want their Trade Marks to be Ruled Over the WORLD since they can do just anything by imitating products other countries make (spending millions) in just a few months delivering the same shaped product with nearly quarter the price :confused2: so that is what IMO more powerful than demonstration or money

anon
01.08.08, 18:01

If it wasn't possible, cracks wouldn't exist :biggrin:

miyukk
05.08.08, 16:11
very interesting, is good more copetition againt the bluray