PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Bans Wireless P2P

zatoicchi
30.07.08, 03:39
Washington -- AT&T bans wireless phone subscribers from using file-sharing applications and threatens to terminate service of anyone caught doing so, the company told an FCC official on Friday.

"AT&T's terms of service for mobile wireless broadband customers prohibit all uses that may cause extreme network capacity issues, and explicitly identify P2P file sharing applications as such a use," said Robert Quinn, AT&T's senior vice president of federal regulatory affairs.

Quinn's disclosure came in a letter to FCC Republican member Robert McDowell, who had asked about AT&T's policy regarding P2P traffic over its wireless network at an FCC forum in Pittsburgh on July 21.

On Friday, the FCC is expected to vote that Comcast Corp. "secretly degraded" some P2P Internet traffic in violation of FCC policy set in August 2005.

FCC chairman Kevin Martin insists that Comcast has been blocking P2P traffic of BitTorrent users while the cable company claims it delayed only uploads during peak hours to reduce congestion.

AT&T Bans Wireless P2P (http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6582213.html)

vDD+wR
30.07.08, 05:56
crazy people around the world...:rolleyes2:

AT&T bans wireless phone subscribers from using file-sharing applications and threatens to terminate service of anyone caught doing so
were they using these apps with their mobile phone/pda??

if so, then it would be completly unsecure, because there isn't any software out there, that's able to hide your mobile phone number.. (as far as i know...)
that way it's far easier for the phone provider to find out who's doing the filesharing and who don't.
for those matters i would always recommend a computer/laptop with a "real" internet connection where your ip number is logged by the provider instead of the mobile number.
(hope i understood everything correct in your article, zatoicchi :wink:)

anon
30.07.08, 18:55
What they are doing is stupid really.

Oh well, now we can add AT&T to the list of ISPs which only work to browse and send e-mails...

zatoicchi
31.07.08, 09:13
they will eventually have complications also just like comcast..

Aurion
31.07.08, 16:23
LOL even the phone users are under the threat !! this is silly,the FCC should do something about this :tongue:

anon
31.07.08, 19:22
@ Reppy: I hope they can :top:

Or else the dream of downloading stuff to a phone in your pocket won't be possible, at least for AT&T users... :|

Aurion
31.07.08, 21:06
yeah now we will hear about other suckers (phone service providers) cutting connections off of users using wireless networks due to downloading illegal stuff (same as happened when silly Comcast bla bla bla)

anon
31.07.08, 21:24
Sigh. Seeing your upload speed rise then drop to 0 forever is frustrating if you see it just once in a video, so imagine how Comcast (and now AT&T?) users feel. :icon_angry[1]:

Aurion
01.08.08, 15:20
...so imagine how Comcast (and now AT&T?) users feel. :icon_angry[1]:

totally Pissed Off :eek13:

anon
01.08.08, 19:13
Exactly. You can download TorrentFreak's video showing this here (http://rapidshare.com/files/40696804/bad.avi). It's frustrating :mad2:

Aurion
02.08.08, 10:52
damn them !! I really feel sorry for those users,they just cant do anything about it :icon_angry[1]: they have to pay for their super connections only to browse mails & sh%t :baeh:

anon
02.08.08, 18:50
damn them !! I really feel sorry for those users,they just cant do anything about it :icon_angry[1]:

Other than getting a VPN or tunneling service, which means an extra fee just to make the connection they're already paying for really work :mad2:

Aurion
09.08.08, 13:59
yeah but u know,I guess some people might already got doing that since they are pissed off (some of them dont mind paying extra bux for his good mood),so they just buy their headache pills :icon_angry[1]:

anon
09.08.08, 21:01
A temporary solution that gradually becomes permanent or just plain needed...