PDA

View Full Version : Nearly 7 years after original, a new Windows XP goes gold

zatoicchi
28.07.08, 06:13
On August 24, 2001, Microsoft released to manufacturing the final version of Windows XP. 6 years and 11 months later, a new version of XP has gone gold, this time for the OLPC XO computer, also known as the "$100 laptop."
Originally designed to run Linux, the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) XO laptop is targeted at developing nations and those too poor to afford proper computers for education. The device, which went on sale publicly in November for $200, features wireless connectivity, a built-in camera and a keyboard designed to change languages.

Initial deployments have begun in Afghanistan, Haiti, Mexico, Mongolia, Peru, Rwanda, and Uruguay, as well as in Birmingham, Ala. However, sales have been much lower than expected, with well under 1 million XOs ordered to date. OLPC hopes to change that with Microsoft's help.

The Redmond company announced it was testing a version of XP on the XO last December, citing a desire to provide a "high-quality Windows experience" on OLPC's devices. But the limited field trial was far from a sure thing until May, when OLPC announced a deal with Microsoft to ship XP.

Nearly 7 years after original, a new Windows XP goes gold (http://keznews.com/4697_Nearly_7_years_after_original__a_new_Windows_ XP_goes_gold)

Aurion
28.07.08, 18:48
"targeted at developing nations and those too poor to afford proper computers for education ...... to provide a "high-quality Windows experience" on OLPC's devices" LOL can u believe that,they want to make their next fake move but this time @ poor uneducated people who dont know what a PC is !! I hate when people think like that :tongue:

anon
28.07.08, 19:05
Nearly 7 years after original, a new Windows XP goes gold

The title made me smile :smile: Who has the original "gold" rip of XP? :biggrin: The one with the corrupted wininet.dll and other files... first XP I have ever installed :biggrin:

Aurion
28.07.08, 19:15
The title made me smile :smile: Who has the original "gold" rip of XP? :biggrin: The one with the corrupted wininet.dll and other files... first XP I have ever installed :biggrin:

no dont worry they actually have all their failure OS stored in their data base center so they an call any OS "Gold OS" :baeh:

anon
28.07.08, 19:18
It was the rip that wasn't done correctly ^^

Anyway "Windows XP gold" is a museum piece right now :biggrin: Very hard to find even in P2P networks

Aurion
28.07.08, 19:21
cant say a thing about that,but do u think that actually such an OS ever got released on p2ps ?? I saw a Vista Gold Edition a couple of months ago in a warez forum so I guess this is easy to handle

anon
28.07.08, 19:25
but do u think that actually such an OS ever got released on p2ps ??

My guess is that it did but that you can't find it anymore now :frown: For example a guide I have downloaded about "Beating WGA Validation" told you to:

okay.. back everything up, prepare to lose everything on drive c...
acquire a copy of the oldest possible version of windows xp. Search
the bittorrent sites, WinMX, the OpenNap Protocol and such..
the 2002 version with no service pack is what you really want!
the first, old, unblemished windows xp install cd.
THE 2002 VERSION WITH NO SERVICE PACKS!!!

and gave some links where you could find such a version, but they're all dead now. :| Anyway I have it burned to a CD ^^

Aurion
28.07.08, 19:30
LOL what a screw up method to crack WGA !! :biggrin: "Prepare to lose everything in drive c" hahaha this is LAME !! lots of powerful easy-2-use crax are out there waiting !!! about that OS good for u to have such an old copy

anon
28.07.08, 19:33
LOL what a screw up method to crack WGA !! :biggrin: ... lots of powerful easy-2-use crax are out there waiting !!!

remember this guide is from back then where WGA had just sprung up, and the "method" to "bypass the system" it was about was 100% legal ^^

"Prepare to lose everything in drive c" hahaha this is LAME !!

it's common sense that you have to backup important stuff I think :biggrin:

about that OS good for u to have such an old copy

yes, brings back good memories... like Windows update = "your computer will be rebooted in 30 seconds.... RPC blablabla....." :tongue:

Aurion
28.07.08, 19:35
LOL about packing,I dont remember I have packed my system like forever :biggrin: so its not a common sense or me at all,my PC is just blessed I guess :tongue:(lots of prayers or so)

anon
28.07.08, 19:38
Hehe :tongue: I had quite a lot of problems with Win98 and ME (all caused by myself :cool2:) but that made me learn a lot about how Win's components worked :wink:

Aurion
28.07.08, 19:45
yeah its a good thing to screw up ur PC so that u go to google & seach for a fix then u added extra info for ur experience :biggrin:

anon
28.07.08, 19:45
so that u go to google & seach for a fix then u added extra info for ur experience :biggrin:

If you don't overdo it and are left without a working Internet connection :cool2: :tongue:

Aurion
28.07.08, 19:59
If you don't overdo it and are left without a working Internet connection :cool2: :tongue:

LOL nah,I dont want to imagine that since its a bad & scarey feeling to have already :tongue:

anon
28.07.08, 20:03
That once happened to me :eek3: Fixed it with a mixture of SCANREG /RESTORE and manual mods :tongue:

Aurion
28.07.08, 20:20
That once happened to me :eek3: Fixed it with a mixture of SCANREG /RESTORE and manual mods :tongue:

for sure that would have been a nightmare LOL :biggrin:anyway,good news u fixed it

desodorante
07.04.10, 17:01
"targeted at developing nations and those too poor to afford proper computers for education ...... to provide a "high-quality Windows experience" on OLPC's devices" LOL can u believe that,they want to make their next fake move but this time @ poor uneducated people who dont know what a PC is !! I hate when people think like that :tongue:

Wrong. First of all "uneducated people who dont know what a PC is": Those countries as well as many other do have PCs, and lots of them, and not because they are poor they are ignorant. What they do not have is an original copy of windows in each one, or almost any of them.
So it is a shame that you believe that about developing countries.
That OLPC and the XO are not an attempt to educate anyone, they meant to sell scrap, outdated and unsupported hardware to governments that can not really control the output of this implementation (that is making sure they are not sold crap and are able to recall defective products) and allow Microsoft to penetrate those markets that have a high piracy rate, which constitutes an expansion of the market. As I said in some other post, it is all about marketshare, and if Linux can put a copy on each of those laptops, Microsoft will lose a substantial marketshare portion, as well as to allow Linux to be introduced as a plausible replacement of windows in the mind of an entire generation of people.

slikrapid
07.04.10, 17:30
wow, a 1,5 year bump post :biggrin:

Wrong. First of all "uneducated people who dont know what a PC is": Those countries as well as many other do have PCs, and lots of them, and not because they are poor they are ignorant. What they do not have is an original copy of windows in each one, or almost any of them.

agreed :top:

desodorante
07.04.10, 17:38
wow, a 1,5 year bump post :biggrin:

Sorry, I did not check the date :P

anon
07.04.10, 18:22
Sorry, I did not check the date :P

It's a bump! :eek:

Except when made as a joke, disregard comments about how old the last post here was. As long as you're replying with something constructive (as it is the case), there's nothing wrong.