PDA

View Full Version : Second time is the charm for Robbie Lawler

zatoicchi
27.07.08, 09:45
STOCKTON, Calif. – On the second mixed martial arts show on prime-time network television, Elite XC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler finished what he set out to do the first time.

Lawler (16-4, 1 no-contest) retained his title Saturday night, beating Scott Smith at 2:35 of the second round at the Stockton Arena.

The champion’s finishing flurry was precipitated by concern after Smith had opened a cut near Lawler’s left eye.

“It (the cut) was spraying blood on his chest,” said Lawler. I didn’t want (ref) Herb Dean to see it. I kept my hands moving.”
“It was a knee right to the midsection,” said Smith (15-5, 1 no-contest). “I don’t remember a lot about what happened. I think I got dropped twice, but I know what did me in.”

The second fight picked up right where the May 31 fight in Newark ended, sans the accidental third-round eye poke to Smith that caused the doctor to stop the evenly fought battle, which was ruled a no-contest.

Second time is the charm for Robbie Lawler (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AuBJgK4F2HTfYnnJQcpZ_Ls9Eo14?slug=dm-elitefinal072608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)