PDA

View Full Version : Margarito relishes long-awaited turn in spotlight

zatoicchi
24.07.08, 05:51
LAS VEGAS (AP)—Antonio Margarito stuck around the MGM Grand Garden walkway until every autograph was signed Wednesday. The welterweight in the Gucci glasses made grateful eye contact with almost every fan, shaking hands and accepting encouragement for Saturday’s fight against Miguel Cotto.

After waiting nearly 15 years to get under boxing’s brightest lights, Margarito was in no hurry to leave. In fact, he’s hoping to stay a good long while in the spot he has coveted since the Tijuana Tornado was just a small breeze.

“Waiting for it definitely gives me more hunger,” Margarito said. “I know this is my opportunity to grab what’s out there for me. I’ve been waiting so long to get to this place, and now I want to do what I know I can do.”

He’ll get that chance in a career-defining showdown with Cotto, the unbeaten Puerto Rican WBA champion who’s widely considered the top fighter in their division.

Margarito relishes long-awaited turn in spotlight (http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AnNH5FgW8S31GtF2hjxctX6UxLYF?slug=ap-cotto-margarito&prov=ap&type=lgns)