PDA

View Full Version : Internet founder blasts ISPs for hurting national interests

zatoicchi
24.07.08, 05:41
Vint Cerf, who developed the technical principles on which the internet works, has blasted telephone and cable companies for harming national interests by holding investments in their networks to ransom.

Cerf, a long-time advocate of keeping the internet free from control by service providers and a current senior vice-president for search giant Google Inc., told the Silicon Valley Watcher blog that the companies are being childish by threatening to withhold upgrading networks unless they get breaks from regulators.

"Basically, it's like little kids in a tantrum: 'I'm not going to build this system unless you give me three scoops of ice cream and a pony,'" he said in a video posted on the blog on Tuesday. "My reaction to this is quite negative. It's harmful to the national interest to behave in this way because it is serious infrastructure — it's very much like the road ways."

Internet founder blasts ISPs for hurting national interests (http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/07/23/tech-cerf.html)

anon
24.07.08, 22:23
now they can't say they didn't do it because "the accusations came from someone not experienced" ;D

Aurion
26.07.08, 14:10
"..Cerf, a long-time advocate of keeping the internet free from control by service providers" :Berserker1: this guys ROCKS !!

anon
26.07.08, 19:47
well, rest assured Cerf knows what he's talking about, as he's from the days when the iNet had just sprung up (and therefore was much less monitored/watched -if at all-) :top:

Aurion
28.07.08, 19:07
yeah we all know that back then when the Inet first got released,it was meant to be for Military Usage ONLY till (IMO) some one got fed up with this & wanted to make what we call today "Chatting Pot" so here we are now talking & sharing our info/language ...etc using the mighty Inet :biggrin:

anon
28.07.08, 19:15
yeah we all know that back then when the Inet first got released,it was meant to be for Military Usage ONLY

Yea, just a decentralized network so that there would be no "main server" that could be nuked and goodbye... who would have imagined it'd turn into what it's right now, really :smile:

Aurion
28.07.08, 19:19
LOL technology OWNS my friend,it really does,you see things you never dream of come true :biggrin:

anon
28.07.08, 19:21
you see things you never dream of come true :biggrin:

That's right. No one was able to "predict" something like internet would one day exist, I think :cool2:

Aurion
28.07.08, 19:27
That's right. No one was able to "predict" something like internet would one day exist, I think :cool2:

yeah but I dont know why I feel strange feelings about technology races anon,I mean some times I feel like "those poeple were sure that more races will come,let me be more detailed,let say after the very first release of cell phones,they knew & IMO were capable of adding extra powerful features in those cell phones such as cams,gps ...etc but just didnt want to blast everything at once,they wanted to take their cash out of customers very slowly) anyway,more new complicated races should come out soon

anon
28.07.08, 19:36
IMO were capable of adding extra powerful features in those cell phones such as cams,gps ...etc but just didnt want to blast everything at once,they wanted to take their cash out of customers very slowly

But back then having a CAMERA (!) in a mobile was so "wow!" that it overcame that :biggrin:

Aurion
28.07.08, 19:46
yeah I remember seeing poepl faint on streets when others were playing with their cams taking shots of them riding cars ..etc also was a mess up on beaches :tongue: