PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Pledges Windows XP Support Through 2014

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 12:38
In an unprecedented move, Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) has committed to providing support services for its soon to be retired Windows XP through 2014 -- a full 13 years after the operating system was originally released.

In a letter sent to customers this week, Microsoft senior VP Bill Veghte said the software maker will provide security patches "and other critical updates" for Windows XP until April, 2014.
"Our ongoing support for Windows XP is the result of our recognition that people keep their Windows-based PCs for many years," Veghte wrote.

That may be, but Microsoft normally terminates support for an OS within ten years of its release -- at the latest. For instance, it plans to end support for Windows 2000 in 2010.

Microsoft may have little choice but to support Windows XP for an extended period, given that the majority of its large business customers have not upgraded their personal computers and laptops to the newer, Windows Vista operating system.

Many companies have balked at Vista's cost, resource requirements, and lack of compatibility with older applications.

Microsoft Pledges Windows XP Support Through 2014 (http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208800494)

anon
23.07.08, 20:13
ok, i'll keep my WinXP until 2014 :cool2: then i'll look for an OS that works fast and doesn't make your life harder when working, which is what a well-tuned XP setup is :top:

zatoicchi
24.07.08, 08:47
i will be using my windows xp way beyond 2014..it 's kind of hard sometimes to part with things that are old and usefull..:biggrin:

anon
24.07.08, 22:26
i will be using my windows xp way beyond 2014..

and Win98 or NT4 in legacy systems :biggrin:

zatoicchi
25.07.08, 11:14
and Win98

fond memories , win98 2nd was the most stables of all windows i ever used..:top:

anon
25.07.08, 14:17
yep Win98 brings back some good memories. like patching explorer.exe so that the tray icons would show up in 256 colors :D

Aurion
26.07.08, 14:04
"soon to be retired" :frown: sad to hear that they officially have the intention to dump this OS down into the drain !! IMO this is the OS that gave MS the current fame for ever (best stable OS every made IMO)

anon
26.07.08, 19:09
yep. that isn't good to hear. but user communities will keep on supporting XP :wink:

Aurion
28.07.08, 20:23
yep. that isn't good to hear. but user communities will keep on supporting XP :wink:

IMO it would ages for people to let go about XP since it was & still the very powerful & hand grinding OS ever made in history !! so I guess people will have their Gold copies as well in a 10 years period or so to bring back nice memories