PDA

View Full Version : Firefox aims for download record

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 12:33
Version 3 of the popular Firefox web browser is going on general release on 17 June.

Wide take-up of the new version would further boost the market share of the browser which is currently used by about 15% of net users.

With the release, Firefox developer Mozilla is attempting to set a record for the most downloads over 24 hours.

"It's a global effort to make history," said Paul Kim, head of marketing at Mozilla.

Net gains

The attempt to break the record will begin at 1800 BST.

"There is actually no record for the greatest amount of software downloaded in one day, so for 24 hours from the moment we push the bits live, that's when the countdown starts," he said.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Firefox aims for download record (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7457503.stm)

anon
23.07.08, 20:14
hey zat, isn't this old? ^^ i have already downloaded FF3 to help :biggrin:

hitman
23.07.08, 20:30
hey zat, isn't this old? ^^ i have already downloaded FF3 to help :biggrin:

:biggrin: yes the news is a few weeks old "17 June 2008"

zatoicchi
24.07.08, 03:25
yes it is, since ff is my favorite browser i wanted to post this news to show how popular it is. did not see it posted here before so i wanted everyone to read it.

and it was said from other site that:

the Guinness world record for most downloaded software in a 24-hour period after 8 million of your minions snagged Firefox 3 on launch day

Aurion
26.07.08, 14:31
I dont think they needed to announce about their attempt to break record number since it shall happen by itself !! anyway,FF is a very reliable browser u can trust :top:

anon
26.07.08, 18:47
anyway,FF is a very reliable browser u can trust :top:

and an icon of open-source alternative browsers! maybe people that won't even use it have downloaded it anyway because they want to support that movement ^^

Aurion
28.07.08, 21:52
and an icon of open-source alternative browsers! maybe people that won't even use it have downloaded it anyway because they want to support that movement ^^

LOL that would be a bad part to do tho !! I wont download anything I wont use already so this is LAME IMO :tongue:

anon
28.07.08, 21:55
I wont download anything I wont use inmediatly

Fixed :biggrin: You never know when you're going to check your big "downloads" folder and install something you forgot you even had (at least I didn't!) :biggrin:

Aurion
29.07.08, 12:21
yeah I used to have that bad habit :biggrin: but then decided to download what ONLY I will use or need not just anything as n00bs do :tongue:

anon
29.07.08, 18:38
but then decided to download what ONLY I will use or need not just anything as n00bs do :tongue:

Not the case here :biggrin: I download a lot of stuff, and place every direct Internet download (P2P stuff has a separate folder :tongue:) in the "My documents" folder :cool2: Well! That's how it is almost 17GBs atm. :rolling_eyes:

Aurion
31.07.08, 19:59
no here by time,I learned how to keep my records clean on regular basis :biggrin: since I got sicked of replacing my HDDs for several times because of XP failures (due to large downloads from different sources which wont be safe in all ways)

anon
31.07.08, 20:13
I had separate disks and folder for iNet downloads too, but one of the times I had reinstalled Windows and started to use Opera, it wanted to store my first download in "my documents". I let it do so and didn't change that so far :biggrin: After all, it's there to store "your documents" :biggrinflip:

Aurion
31.07.08, 20:19
I had separate disks and folder for iNet downloads too, but one of the times I had reinstalled Windows and started to use Opera, it wanted to store my first download in "my documents". I let it do so and didn't change that so far :biggrin: After all, it's there to store "your documents" :biggrinflip:

Good u got ur system back up & running since I hate when I have to reinstall XP :icon_angry[1]: makes me angry,u know PCs are meant for hard use so lets crunsh them out :tongue:

anon
31.07.08, 20:25
There were times where I would reinstall XP like every 2 days or so LOL :tongue: Hope this install is my definite one, as I have had it for 1 year, 7 months, 2 days..., well, you get the idea, WindowsInstallDate ftw :D

Aurion
31.07.08, 20:38
yeah it sux when you keep reinstalling XP due to system failure or bad a$$ spyware/virus taht blasted up ur data base :confused2:

anon
31.07.08, 20:40
It does suck :| Getting attacked by one of those viruses that infect all EXEs is a major headache and loss of time, really. And I know what I'm talking about :frown:

Aurion
31.07.08, 20:42
yeah I suffered from those vicious attacks before (had to multi-install XP for like 4 times in a row) since I couldnt handle any of them thru using Antis nor registery tweaks (at least till I came across Combofix)

anon
31.07.08, 20:49
Yep, virus attacks like those are the hardest to recover from :/ Not the case with most of those script kiddie trojans that are going round the net, you just block their Net access with your firewall, and use Autoruns to locate the server EXE and its auto-start references, then DELETE them :top:

Aurion
31.07.08, 20:51
yeah but those were very silly dude,you just open cmd & type some LAME codes to get rid of anything called "Autorun.info/ini" both were damaged with that USB virus (also got infected with rare one called "ntde1ect" similar to a windows system file called "ntdetect")

anon
31.07.08, 20:57
Yep, I had the USB flashdrive ntde1ect "virus" too, and the WINLOGOM.EXE, host.exe and rose.exe ones. :tongue:

Best way to avoid those is creating a hidden, read-only folder called

autorun.inf
in the root of all your drives. The virus will still copy itself, but won't be able to create the autorun file it needs to become active when you open the drive. :wink2:

Aurion
31.07.08, 20:59
Best way to avoid those is creating a hidden, read-only folder called

autorun.inf
in the root of all your drives. The virus will still copy itself, but won't be able to create the autorun file it needs to become active when you open the drive. :wink2:

Yeah,saw that trick somewhere back then when I used to search for counter measures methods :tongue: