PDA

View Full Version : New York state passes video game labeling law

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 11:01
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Video games sold in New York state must clearly label ratings for violent content under a law signed on Tuesday, which rights groups criticized as likely unconstitutional.

The New York Civil Liberties Union said that it planned to mount a legal challenge against the law, signed on Tuesday by New York Gov. David Paterson, as it raised free speech concerns.

The group said that similar laws in California, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota and Washington state have been thrown out as unconstitutional.

The U.S. video gaming industry submits to ratings on a voluntary basis, and the system is similar to movie ratings.

The new law says that is it compulsory for games that are already rated to be labeled and also requires that new video game consoles are installed with parent-controlled lockout features by 2010.

"This legislation will provide information and educate consumers to help them make better choices for their children," said state Sen. Andrew Lanza, a bill sponsor.

Robert Perry, the NYCLU's legislative director, said the new law was a "back-door" way of regulating video game content.

New York state passes video game labeling law (http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2233072520080723)

Aurion
23.07.08, 17:01
"...and the system is similar to movie ratings." Well,I think this is the major tuning point of the whole thing !! games companies depends on gamers passion for new interesting games to distract their attention away off giving their opinions on certain major economical/political issues which could turn the country on fire later in the future !! ---> I hate this way to distraction (maybe Im wrong but most of the countries around the world do that :biggrin:)

anon
23.07.08, 20:58
"This legislation will provide information and educate consumers to help them make better choices for their children,"

no, they'll still be able to get GTA San andreas or manhunt if they want to :cool2:

Aurion
24.07.08, 19:59
LOL or playing some zombie junk game to teach them what blood tastes like :biggrin:

anon
24.07.08, 20:42
and looks like, heh
i don't get the idea of "content locks" in video games, they just remove blood but you can still SHOOT at people and KILL them :confused2: