PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft reveals DirectX 11 details at Gamefest

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 10:45
Microsoft is making a number of announcements today at their Gamefest conference in Seattle, including new details on DirectX 11:

# Full support (including all DX11 hardware features) on Windows Vista as well as future versions of Windows
# Compatibility with DirectX 10 and 10.1 hardware, as well as support for new DirectX 11 hardware
# New compute shader technology that lays the groundwork for the GPU to be used for more than just 3D graphics, so that developers can take advantage of the graphics card as a parallel processor
# Multi-threaded resource handling that will allow games to better take advantage of multi-core machines
# Support for tessellation, which blurs the line between super high quality pre-rendered scenes and scenes rendered in real-time, allowing game developers to refine models to be smoother and more attractive when seen up close

Microsoft also has some exciting news for Games for Windows LIVE, and Games for Windows Marketplace:

Effective today, all Games for Windows – LIVE multiplayer features are now completely free. Achievements, enhanced TruSkill ® matchmaking, cross-platform play with XBOX 360 (in games that support it), voice and text chat, a friends list that is consistent across both Windows and XBOX 360 – everything – is now free to Windows gamers.

Microsoft reveals DirectX 11 details at Gamefest (http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=20699)

anon
23.07.08, 20:01
DX11! it'll have quite interesting stuff it seems...

now we can expect to see things "OMGDX#"!!!11LEKAEDFORM M$.exe" at public trackers which will be just dx9/10 if not a trojan, which is what happened when MS vaguely mentioned dx10 would be out at some time in the future :tongue:

zatoicchi
24.07.08, 08:55
it's about time microsoft prepared to launched a new directx software..looking forward to the updated version

anon
24.07.08, 15:43
you can expect an OpenGL update as well :top:

Aurion
26.07.08, 14:15
damn,DX11 ? this will be a BLAST for sure,people are still releasing fake versions of DX10 now they will have to search for DX11 copies soon

anon
26.07.08, 18:39
people are still releasing fake versions of DX10

there are some versions of "Directx10 for XP" that work out there though, but they aren't dx10 itself, but some of its DLLs hacked to work on xp, and add some support/wrapping to DX9 for v10 extensions some games (like Crysis) use :tongue:

Aurion
28.07.08, 20:40
there are some versions of "Directx10 for XP" that work out there though, but they aren't dx10 itself, but some of its DLLs hacked to work on xp, and add some support/wrapping to DX9 for v10 extensions some games (like Crysis) use :tongue:

the problem I hate about DX10 is that its not officially released so when I first heard about it,I gave it a try but my OS totally went down so Im still sticking to my DX 9c (the easiest so far)

anon
28.07.08, 20:45
gave it a try but my OS totally went down so Im still sticking to my DX 9c (the easiest so far)

I did have "DX10" installed until yesterday, but removed it because there was a new version or RC every day and I didn't want to waste my time :tongue:

Aurion
28.07.08, 20:55
I did have "DX10" installed until yesterday, but removed it because there was a new version or RC every day and I didn't want to waste my time :tongue:

LOL nice u sticked to it that long,did u have any issues regarding xp start up & run times ?? :biggrin:

anon
28.07.08, 20:58
No, none at all, at least not noticeable. :biggrin: And I always choose OpenGL for gaming, so can't say a thing about GFX performance... but it was nice to be able to say "I have DirectX10 in XP!" :top:

Aurion
28.07.08, 21:18
No, none at all, at least not noticeable. :biggrin: And I always choose OpenGL for gaming, so can't say a thing about GFX performance... but it was nice to be able to say "I have DirectX10 in XP!" :top:

yeah sure but since its not officially released so its an unstable core for me IMO !! about OpenGL yeah most games lately require a decent VGA card with OpenGL 2.0 Support chipset to run games perfectly :top:

anon
28.07.08, 21:22
yeah sure but since its not officially released so its an unstable core for me IMO !!

Of course :wink: it's a mixture of hacked v10 DLLs and hooks to DX9, so we can't really know how stable it is... would be like trying a beta version of a program: could work perfectly OR have terrible bugs :tongue:

about OpenGL yeah most games lately require a decent VGA card with OpenGL 2.0 Support chipset to run games perfectly :top:

Most games will run faster in OpenGL mode than in D3D if your hardware supports it. It's just plain better :biggrin:

Aurion
28.07.08, 21:24
I remember when I had my Nvidia 5200 L that wasnt supporting OpenGL 1.0 & it sucked back then !! from that moment I made sure that my VGA card supports the latest OpenGL version (good that ur pc be ready for any HUGE game)

anon
28.07.08, 21:29
I remember when I had my Nvidia 5200 L that wasnt supporting OpenGL 1.0 & it sucked back then !!

My first GFX card ever (a 8MB VRAM Trident) did "support" OpenGL... when I found out what OGL is (Wikipedia ftw, hehe :tongue:), I thought it might had been a it too good for such an old card to support it, and guess what, it was... withing the bundled Windows 98 OS that came with that computer was an OpenGL wrapper, which would convert all such calls to Direct3D, so that it seemed the card actually supported OGL :mad2: Of course, after I reinstalled Windows...:

Your current hardware doesn't support OpenGL mode.

:tongue: