PDA

View Full Version : User-developed games to be sold on Xbox Live for between $2.50 to $10

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 08:28
Microsoft announced today that user-created games will be sold on Xbox Live through a new Community Games section starting this fall, with developers taking 70 percent of the revenue.

Almost two years ago, Microsoft first announced its plans to open Xbox 360 development to the public with the unveiling of its XP-compatible XNA Game Studio Express, and fully-featured XNA Game Studio.

Click Here
During a showing of the product at Tech-Ed last year, Microsoft's David Weller mentioned that the company was exploring the possibility of creating an online community of XNA game developers that would be more than just a place to share ideas, but to also market and their products.

"[We] want to find some way of creating an environment where you as a developer are very, very motivated to create these really outstanding games, and perhaps give yourselves the opportunity to get some kind of reward from that," he said.

That environment is currently in beta testing, and will soon be ready for public consumption.

Similar to Apple's iPhone Developer Program, Microsoft's XNA Creator's Club charges developers $99 per year to sell the games they created with the XNA Game Studio toolset on the Xbox Live Marketplace.

User-developed games to be sold on Xbox Live for between $2.50 to $10 (http://www.betanews.com/article/Userdeveloped_games_to_be_sold_on_Xbox_Live_for_be tween_250_to_10/1216759285)

Aurion
23.07.08, 19:16
"...Microsoft first announced its plans to open Xbox 360 development to the public with " I guess this is a good move by MS,earning more money & trust by letting users to create their own games just to encourage PC skills :biggrin: hmm,nice policy tho,they are FREAKS man,thinking of anything to earn more cash

anon
23.07.08, 19:37
"with developers taking 70 percent of the revenue."

well, that's OK: now you can learn stuff as always when programming and, as an "added value", get some money for doing it :smile:

Aurion
25.07.08, 16:34
yeah,for sure I wont hate to get paid for what I make in case people got admired with it tho :top: I think this is a very smart move from MS