PDA

View Full Version : Halite, a Fast and Lightweight BitTorrent Client

zatoicchi
22.07.08, 03:34
http://torrentfreak.com/images/halite-v03.png

During the last three years, not many new BitTorrent clients have surfaced. Together, the likes of uTorrent, Azureus and BitComet have a 90% market share, with uTorrent being the most popular client. For a new client it is nearly impossible to catch up with these giants, but Halite might just stand a chance.

halite Still a relatively unknown BitTorrent client at the moment, Halite is named after a mineral - rock salt in plain English.

The open source application is developed by Irishman Eóin O’Callaghan, who started the project in 2006, and has been adding features and improvements ever since. We’ve been following Halite’s development for quite a while now and over the past few months it has become a fully-featured, yet lightweight BitTorrent client.

One of the greatest strengths of Halite is that it uses minimal system resources. The latest release uses less than 10,000k of memory, half of what uTorrent uses on average and only a fraction of the consumption of Vuze or BitComet.

Halite, a Fast and Lightweight BitTorrent Client (http://torrentfreak.com/halite-a-fast-and-lightweight-bittorrent-client-080721/)

anon
22.07.08, 17:48
if they keep on adding features, halite may as well become what uT is now in the future. :top:

and open-source = easier to create mods ^^

kolir
22.07.08, 18:41
halite is my standard bt client, and thats a great client (for me, the best).
the comunity is greath and evry one can help with work and sugestions for included features in newer versions.

:top:

anon
22.07.08, 20:00
i think proxy support & disk cache (and maybe other features that don't come to my mind right now :smile:) would be enough for Halite to compete with uT :top:

zatoicchi
23.07.08, 04:25
have yet to test it out, hope fully a thid new client mod can also be implemented like utorrent mod

hitman
23.07.08, 13:15
have yet to test it out, hope fully a thid new client mod can also be implemented like utorrent mod

since this one is open source it should be more possible than with utorrent like a 0 kb upload mod

Butcho
23.07.08, 14:57
If someone can explain me how i can compile a libtorrent based source with VST we can try to create a cheater version. The source looks very simple and so a leecher mod should be no problem. But i've tested it some weeks ago and i get problems to include the boost library which you need for compiling halite.
If i've some more free time the next months i will try it again, but first i want update the emule mod to 0.49b if it's ready.

Aurion
23.07.08, 16:04
LOL new Bittorrent client is here :biggrin: I think SB-I will continue the show "Modding The World" !! I guess Butcho,Rebound & DDJ should start encoding its script to see if they can play with it so far or not :top:

anon
23.07.08, 18:27
The source looks very simple and so a leecher mod should be no problem.

sounds very very good butcho. :top: you think it'll be possible to implement no-upload?

Butcho
23.07.08, 22:10
Yes it's possible. You can change nearly everything because you've the complete source. But i hope that i can resolve my compile problem or that anybody else can help me with my problem.
We will see it... :wink:

zatoicchi
24.07.08, 03:04
another client in the making would be great...that will surely give us more edge ..:top:

Aurion
24.07.08, 17:24
it would be awesome Butcho to crack that client up too,LOL we are like "Defining The Undefined" :top:

anon
24.07.08, 20:28
it'll open new doors to have a "halite leecherpack" in this site :wink: